Hoarluk Doomshaper, Shaman of the Gnarls
Fluff blurb (Copy from PP)
- 1 Basic Info
- 2 Analysis of Hoarluk Doomshaper, Shaman of the Gnarls
- 3 Other
- 4 Other Trollbloods Models
|Hoarluk Doomshaper, Shaman of the Gnarls|
Weapons and Attacks
- Gnarlroot - 2" RNG, P+S 12 melee weapon
- Warlock - All warlocks come with a stack of standard special rules - most notably being awesome.
- Tough - When this model is disabled, roll a d6. On a 5 or 6, remove 1 damage point from this model; it is no longer disabled and becomes knocked down. While knocked down this model loses Tough.
- Goad - When a battlegroup warbeast kills an enemy with a melee attack it can be forced to move a short distance.
- Great Power - This model can upkeep one spell each turn for free.
- Scroll of the Will of Balasar - Once per game, Doomshaper can choose the frenzy target for any beast (friendly or not) that frenzies in his control area.
- Dissolution - Cost 4
- Each enemy upkeep spell in the caster's control range expires and the model that cast it suffers d3 points of damage.
- Fortune - Cost 2, 6" range, Upkeep
- Target friendly Faction model/unit can reroll attack rolls once.
- Guardian Beast - Cost 3, Upkeep
- Once per turn, when an enemy finishes their movement within 6" of the caster, you can choose one of the caster's warbeasts currently in their CTRL range. That warbeast can immediately make a full advance towards that enemy and then attack it with a fully boosted melee or ranged attack.
- Rampager - Cost 4, 10" range, Offensive spell that does no damage
- On a hit, take control of target enemy warbeast. You may move it and make a basic attack with it, then Rampager expires. You cannot force the affected warbeast or use its animus. Can be cast only once per activation, and a warbeast can only have it cast on them once per turn.
- Stranglehold - Cost 2, 10" range, POW 11
- If the target is damaged it must forfeit either its movement or its action next activation, as its controller chooses.
Feat: Dhunia's Wrath
Enemy models suffer d6 damage points for each focus or fury point they spend while in Doomshaper's control range. Enemy warbeasts suffer d6 damage points for each fury they receive as a result of being forced while in Doomshaper's control range. If a model is destroyed as a result of this damage while making an attack, the target model suffers no further damage or effects from the attack. Dhunia's Wrath lasts for one round.
Analysis of Hoarluk Doomshaper, Shaman of the Gnarls
Hoarluk Doomshaper, Shaman of the Gnarls in a nutshell
Doomshaper1 has one major purpose - To backstop the metagame. If upkeep spells start overrunning the metagame then Dissolution becomes an absolutely awesome spell that can shut down numerous casters. If, on the other hand, they don't then Fortune is a decent spell, while the rest of his spell list wants him to be further forward than someone with his defensive stats would actually like. But Calandra1 does more to change luck than Fortune does - and he does little to support most things.
Common army selection
- Mulg the Ancient - He both has an affinity with Doomshaper and has a long enough weapon to take advantage of Goad.
- Otherwise it's staples like the Krielstone and the Dire Troll Mauler.
- Troll Bouncer - Almost a must to prevent him getting shot and provide animus to make him Steady, i.e., slightly less killable.
Drawbacks and Downsides
- "Old Man" stats - That's a terrible DEF/ARM combination meaning assassination is on the table.
- His feat, Dissolution, and Rampager are all awesome against the right targets - but whether those targets exist is up to your opponent and not something you can control. To illustrate with strong tournament lists:
- "Rask & Friends" (Rask in Will Work for Food with all four character lesser warlocks) struggles horribly against Doomshaper1; there are plenty of excellent targets for Rampager and you can easily use it to pull a beast out of a lesser warlock's control area making it easy to kill. The feat is is backbreaking against lesser warlocks, effectively rendering them impotent for a turn. And finally Rask has three upkeeps and three of the four lesser warlocks have one each, making Dissolution terrifying.
- Warwitch Deneghra in Ghost Fleet has no warbeasts as she's a warmachine caster, not a hordes one. Her upkeeps are offensive and targets she puts parasite and crippling grasp on normally end the turn dead so she doesn't really fear dissolution. And on feat turn she just walks out of Doomshaper's control area and proceeds to send her spells through arc nodes. So you've no feat, three spells (two upkeeps and a zap), Goad, and "Old Man" stats. Doomshaper is little more powerful than a lesser warlock.
- Unfortunately Ghost Fleet is more common than Rask & Friends - and lists like Ghost Fleet are a lot more common than lists like Rask. So Doomshaper1 is most useful when you know what your opponent is likely to use (as in a local league).
Tricks and Tactics
Goad can be utilized to access models that might otherwise be out of reach.
If Guardian Beast is triggered and Mulg is the warbeast chosen to move and attack, the boosted attack roll can make his chance to crit smite something on your opponents turn (likely before the models gets to attack) much higher. Combined with Fortune for rerolls in the unlikely chance of a miss.
Changes from Mk2
Theme forces this model is a member of
Themes for any & all warlocks (Edit)
- Band of Heroes - (Article) (Category)
- Kriel Company - (Article) (Category)
- Power of Dhunia - (Article) (Category)
- Storm of the North (Article) (Category)
Other Trollbloods Models
|Warlocks||Bloody Barnabas - Calaban - Helga - Jaga-Jaga - Lord Carver - Maelok - Midas - Rask - Sturm & Drang|
Requires a 2+ warlock game
|Other Controllers|| Lesser Warlocks: Brun & Lug - Dahlia & Skarath - Rorsh & Brine - Wrongeye & Snapjaw
|Warjacks & Warbeasts||The minion battlegroup members you can include in a Trollblood army depends entirely on what type of model is commanding them. There are too many permutations to list here, please refer to one of the model entries above for full details of what minions it can control.|
|Minion Units, Solos, & Battle Engines|
|Units||Bog Trog Ambushers - Croak Raiders - Bone Grinders - Brigands - Commandos - Razorback Crew - Slaughterhousers - Bokur & Swamp Shamblers - Gatorman Posse - Gobber Bellows|
|Solos||Mist Speaker - Bog Trog Trawler - Croak Hunter - Efaarit Scouts - Feralgeist - Witch Doctor - Gobber Tinker - Gremlin Swarm - Ogrun Bokur - Gobber Chef - Thrullg - Totem Hunter|
|Battle Engines||Meat Thresher|