Harlan Versh, Illuminated One
Harlan Versh, Illuminated One
Trained to hunt witches and worse, the wizards of the Order of Illumination, known simply as the Illuminated, serve to protect western Immoren from the threat of witchcraft. As one might expect of any group with such an aggressive mission, the Order of Illumination counts numerous powers among its enemies - chiefly the insidious Infernals. Their consummate foe, Illuminated One Harlan Phineas Versh prepares to banish their darkness with a blast of his blessed quad-iron.
|See also How to Read the statblock|
- Malleus - 10" range, ROF d3+1, POW 10 gun
- Sword - 1" reach, P+S 10 melee weapon.
- Damage Type: Magical - As above
- Blessed - As above
- Purgation - As above
- Animosity [Thamarite or Undead] - This model can't be included in the same army as a Thamarite or Undead model.
- Mercenary - will work as a Cygnar Partisan and Khador mercenary
- Partisan [Cygnar] - When included in a Cygnar army, this model/unit is a Cygnar model/unit instead of a Mercenary model/unit.
- Stealth - Ranged and magic attacks targeting this model from a point of origin greater than 5˝ away automatically miss. This model is not an intervening model when determining line of sight from a model more than 5˝ away.
- Sacred Ward - This model can't be targeted by enemy spells.
- Witch Hunter - When an enemy model declares it is casting a spell while within 10" of this model, this model may immediately make a basic attack vs that caster. If caster is killed, spell does not take effect.
Thoughts on Harlan Versh, Illuminated One
Harlan Versh, Illuminated One in a nutshell
Harlan punishes units and low ARM models with upkeeps on them thanks to his Purgation gun. His Stealth ability keeps him alive to get close enough to unload. Most people only take him with Constance Blaize because he's the only ranged model that can use her Radiance of Morrow spell, and he gives Gallant a free focus when nearby.
Combos and Synergies
- Gallant loves a Morrowan model to Accumulate from - Versh is cheap and relatively hard to kill.
- Constance Blaize, Knight of the Prophet gets to boost his damage rolls.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- His ideal target is low-to-mid ARM targets that have an upkeep spell on them. He's not that good if your opponent doesn't provide you with that target.
- ROF d3+1 can let you down.
- Range 10 exposes him to counterattacks after he shoots
Tricks & Tips
- Barring pot shots at warcaster/warlocks and magic solos, he should be spending most of his time multi-firing his way through buffed front-line units and assisting in the occasional assassination run (should your opponent be foolish enough to put an upkeep on their 'caster and leave Versh alive).
- Staying un-engaged and firing Malleus is typically a better choice than charging, unless you really, really want to roll four damage dice on the charge.
- He works best when holding back and wreaking havoc on incoming infantry while remaining well-protected from counterattacks.
- Most Trollblood buffs (notably the Krielstone's Protective Aura) are not spells, so Harlan gets no bonuses against them.
- He doesn't ignore Stealth, even if the target received Stealth from a spell or ability granted by a spell (Occultation and Prowl, for example).
- Blessed doesn't ignore effects of a spell that indirectly grant a DEF/ARM bonus. For instance, a spell that grants concealment - Harlan wouldn't ignore the +2DEF because they're getting it from the concealment, not the spell.
- Gatorman Posse, Choir of Menoth, and Fell Caller Heros using their various prayers and songs are not casting spells, so they will not trigger Witch Hunter.
Released in Forces of Warmachine: Mercenaries (2010)
| Cygnar (Edit)
Note: When taken in the Heavy Metal theme, he doesn't count against your "up to one Merc solo" allowance.
| Khador (Edit)
Other Faction models
| * The "Damage Type: Magical" is not inherited by "secondary" damage from a weapon. That is, stuff like arcs (Electro Leap) or hazards (Scather). (Infernal Ruling)