"Victory is all about power and momentum, and the Hammersmith brings both." - Major Markus "Siege" Brisbane
|See also How to Read the statblock|
Weapons and Attacks
- Hammer (x2) - 1" reach, P+S 17 melee weapons
- Beat Back - Immediately after a basic attack with this weapon is resolved during this model's Combat Action, the enemy model hit can be pushed 1" directly away from the attacking model. After the enemy model is pushed, the attacking model can advance up to 1" directly towards it.
- Chain Attack: Smite - If both initials with this weapon hit the same target, then you get to make a free slam vs it. POW is included in slam damage, but not collateral damage.
- Warjack - All warjacks share the same set of special rules. Most notably being big and stompy.
- Construct - This model is a construct and is not a living model.
- Follow Up - When this model slams an enemy model, immediately after the slam is resolved this model can advace directly toward the slammed model, up to the distance the slammed model was moved.
Thoughts on Hammersmith
Hammersmith in a nutshell
A slow Warjack that goes into overdrive once it gets into melee if it activates its Chain Attack successfully. While it doesn't win any awards for its P+S, if you can successfully Smite a model and Follow Up, any further focus can be used to generally wreck your target.
Combine that with Beat Back and you have a high ARM model that can end up in a very inconvenient place for your opponent at a low cost.
Combos & Synergies
Speed buffs! If you can't make the Hammersmith faster, you really should be considering the faster light Warjacks or Ironclad chassis Warjacks instead.
- Escort 'casters such as Lord General Coleman Stryker or Captain Allison Jakes (who also improves its melee range on her feat turn).
- Lanyssa Ryssyl for Hunter's Mark.
- The free charge also gives you more flexibility with boosting rolls or buying attacks.
- Captain Jeremiah Kraye for Reposition from Iron Horse and his feat's speed buff.
- The free boosted attack roll for its charge attack gives you a better chance to activate Chain Attack: Smite, too.
- Major Beth Maddox for Assail.
- Commander Adept Nemo for Locomotion.
- General Adept Nemo or Lieutenant Allison Jakes for Energizer.
- Major Victoria Haley for Temporal Acceleration and/or Telekinesis.
As a very cheap heavy and a warjack with Chain Attack it can also be worth giving it to a Jack Marshal.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- It has short range melee weapons and is about as slow as it gets for Warjacks.
- Its low DEF leaves it open to all sorts of control effects such as Stranglehold.
- The Chain Attack may not be worthwhile if you want your target dead but can't Follow Up to continue the beatdown due to models in the way.
- Follow up now requires moving directly toward the target, so it is much harder to get odd angles out of that. Also, if you kill the target, you cannot advance with follow up (needs infernal ruling reference).
Tricks & Tips
- If there is a model between the Hammersmith and a juicy target, try to use Chain Attack: Smite to get the initial model out of the way, the slam to knock down your intended target and Follow Up to engage your preferred target (assuming you slam it far enough).
- Be careful of where follow up will take you. The hammersmith is vulnerable to free strikes during this, which can be an issue if you are slamming through the enemy frontlines.
Comparison to Mk2
The buffs to MAT and RAT to models on this chassis still apply. Beat Back is slightly worse since it no longer activates if you kill your target and you must move directly towards your target it you use it.
- Originally released in Warmachine: Superiority (2006)
Themes for non-character warjacks (Edit)
Other faction models