Hammerfall Siege Crawler
A testament to the engineering brilliance of the Rhulfolk, the Hammerfall Siege Crawler paves the way for assaults on hard targets. Firing its thunderous siegebreaker cannons to crack open fortress walls and pulverize enemy armor, the Siege Crawler is a mobile artillery battery worthy of the reputation of Hammerfall’s renowned mercenaries.
- 1 Basic Info
- 2 Thoughts on Hammerfall Siege Crawler
- 3 Other
|See also How to Read the statblock|
- Bash - 0.5" reach, P+S 15 melee attack.
- Quad Cannon - 10" range, ROF d3+1, POW 12 gun.
- Siegebreaker (x2) - 12" range, 4" AOE, POW 15 guns.
- Mercenary - Will work for Cygnar and Khador
- Battle Engine - All Battle Engines share the same special rules. Most notably being huge, having two fields of fire, and being immune to knock down, stationary, etc.
- Construct - This model is a construct and is not a living model.
- Pathfinder - This model treats rough terrain as open terrain while advancing. While charging, slam power attacking, or trample power attacking, this model does not stop its movement when it contacts an obstacle.
- Bulldoze - When this model is B2B with an enemy model during its Normal Movement, it can push that model up to 2" directly away from it. A model can be pushed by Bulldoze only once per activation. Bulldoze has no effect when this model makes a trample power attack.
- Dual Attack - This model can make both melee and ranged attacks in the same activation. When this model makes its initial melee attacks or a power attack, it can also make its initial ranged attacks. This model can make ranged attacks even while in melee.
- Girded - This model and friendly models B2B with it are immune to blast damage.
- Periscope - Once per activation at any time, you can choose an enemy model in the Crawler's LOS. That model loses Stealth for one round.
- Reinforcements [Rhulic] - During your Maintenance Phase, return d3 small-based friendly destroyed Rhulic Grunts to play. Models return with 1 unmarked damage box, completely within this model's CMD range, and completely within 3" of another model in their unit. They must forfeit their Combat Action this turn.
2017.04 Battle Engine CID
- Cost decreased by one point, gained 16 hitpoints.
- Swapped Roadblock for Girded.
- Gained Periscope and Reinforcements
Thoughts on Hammerfall Siege Crawler
Hammerfall Siege Crawler in a nutshell
The Siege Crawler has it all - tough frame, great combat capabilities, and excellent utility. It has the highest box count of any non-colossal in the game and more special rules than you can shake a stick at. It provides recursion, stealth removal, blast protection, bulldoze and the occasional stagger, which is a game-winning ability. It's a fine piece against both infantry and huge bases.
The Crawler creates a frustrating proposition for your opponent. By itself, it is not very threatening such that it should be a top-priority target, yet it takes a lot of effort to bring down and if your opponent chooses to ignore it, it can create a large number of new Forge Guard over the course of a game, and every turn it has the chance to stagger something if left alone.
As with all things Rhulic, the Crawler shines brightest with General Ossrum, whose feat and Fire for Effect spell make it more dangerous and more durable. It is a mainstay piece in every Hammer Strike list.
Combos & Synergies
- General Ossrum can give it Fire For Effect. Stagger is one of the nastiest effects ranged attack can have in the game, and on the Siege Breakers it can be death sentence for other Battle Engines and wounded Gargossals.
- Durgen Madhammer makes it make things go boom on feat turn.
- Ashlynn D'Elyse can go crit-fishing with her feat for the Staggers
- Rhulic infantry units with Murdoc or Valachev are both faction models AND Rhulic models, eligible for friendly faction support spells and Reinforcements. Note, that the ranking officers cannot be brought back with Reinforcement, since they're not Rhulic models.
Drawbacks and Downsides
- In a Khador/Cygnar army it will not benefit from the friendly faction support spells.
- It has no in-built boosting mechanic.
- It has standard Battle Engine vulnerabilities to Blind and Shadow Bind.
- Ossrum is the only caster who makes it great. It's merely good with anyone else.
- It doesn't count towards the free points quota in Irregulars and will cost you a free solo to bring it.
Tricks and Tips
- Take one with a model capable of sprays (like a Grundback Blaster) or bursts (like Herne & Jonne or the HAC). Use it's bulldoze ability to maximize the amount of models you can put under a template.
- When taken with General Ossrum, Siege Crawlers become amazing delivery devices for Forge Guard, letting them take cover behind it (protecting them from blasts or completely blocking LOS), then charging right through the Crawler when they get close enough.
- Beside High Shields and Forge Guards, the grunts of the Artillery Corps, as well as the TAC members are eligible for revival.
- Managed to land a Stagger effect on a warjack? Have something to cause Disruption? Use it on the unfortunate target, so it can't buy extra attacks either.
- Staggered models may not make ranged attacks unless their weapon has Reload.
How can I include this model?
Mercenaries are a bit more complicated than regular faction models, they can be taken in one of three different ways.
- This model can be included in a pure Mercenary army.
- This model can be included in the following Faction armies:
- This model can be included in the following theme forces:
Other Mercenary models