Hammerfall High Shield Gun Corps
A crack gun corps from the Rhulic fortress of Hammerfall, this armored phalanx steadily marches forward unleashing volleys of lethal shot. Working in unison, the Hammerfall High Shields form an impenetrable shell that brushes aside enemy fire as they bring their double-barreled war rifles to bear. The deadly rifles jut out along the notched wall of shielded dwarves to blast away at their unfortunate targets.
Officer & Standard - Command Attachment
- 1 Basic Info
- 2 Thoughts on Hammerfall High Shield Gun Corps
- 3 Other
|Hammerfall High Shield Gun Corps|
|Unit Size|| 6/10|
|See also How to Read the statblock|
- Everyone except the Standard Bearer
- Carbine - 10" range, POW 10 gun
- Axe - 0.5" range, P+S 9 melee weapon
- Standard Bearer
- Unarmed - This model has no melee weapons, which means a host of options are not available to it.
- Entire unit
- Mercenary - will work as a Cygnar mercenary or Khador mercenary.
- Combined Ranged Attack - This unit can combine their ranged attacks to get a bonus on accuracy and damage.
- Combined Melee Attack - This unit can combine their melee attacks to get a bonus on accuracy and damage.
- Practiced Maneuvers - Each model in this unit can ignore other models in this unit when determining LOS and can advance through them if it has enough movement to move completely past them.
- Shield Wall (Order) - Models in this unit get +4 ARM while B2B with another model in the unit, unless the attack originates in their rear arc. Lasts until the beginning of their next activation.
- Officer only
- The Officer has +1 MAT, RAT and 5 hitpoints
- Officer - This model is the unit commander even if the unit has a Leader model.
- Double Time (Order) - High Shields receiving this order must make a full advance during their Normal Movement. After all models have finished their Combat Actions, each can make another full advance.
- Guns Blazing (Minifeat) - Once per game the High Shields gains an extra shot in their Combat Action.
- Standard only
Thoughts on Hammerfall High Shield Gun Corps
Hammerfall High Shield Gun Corps in a nutshell
The Hammerfall High Shield Gun Corps are the dwarven ranged unit. Despite high ARM, they are considered one of the worst units in the game by almost everyone due to their high price, short range and low power.
Thoughts on the CA
Well you wouldn't take High Shields without the CA since he makes them moderately dangerous for one turn but that doesn't mean you're not throwing good points after bad.
Combos & Synergies
- General Ossrum buffs all dwarves. Snipe and his feat will make them out-range any other infantry choice for a turn, and make them extremely high armour.
Drawbacks and Downsides
- They are slow
- Like most shield walls, setting them on fire is a great way to get around their high ARM.
- Fundamentally most of their roles are done better by other mercenaries that cost the same or less.
- If you want a run and gun unit even in double time Croe's Cutthroats cost the same and move faster and are harder to kill by anything other than blast damage.
- If you want cheap shooters Steelhead Riflemen are significantly cheaper, threat further, and hit harder.
- If you want to survive incoming blast damage Idrian Skirmishers with the UA threaten to hit harder and can go to ground. And are cheaper.
Tricks and Tips
- Double time allows you to shoot then move behind cover or back out of charge range. It can be combined with aiming.
- Unit released in Warmachine: Superiority (2006)
- CA released in Forces of Warmachine: Mercenaries (2010)
|Khador (Edit)||Cygnar (Edit)|
Other Mercenary models
Note to Editors