|For more info on why we're moving to a new server, check out the Brief History section on the new main page, and/or listen to episode 45 of the LOS podcast|
| If you have made an edit within the last month or so, please check the new server and see if it was copied by the autobot. |
You may need to copy-paste your work to the new server manually. Sorry.
The Blaster's Rhulic ruggedness and durability make it both a brutal and economic weapon of war. Armed with a canister-fed Hail-Shot Cannon, the Blaster answers many of the demands of mercenary commanders and adds an incredible degree of flexibility to Rhulic forces fighting all over western Immoren.
|See also How to Read the statblock|
Hail Shot Cannon - 8" spray, POW 10 ranged weapon.
- Powerful Attack - When attacking with this weapon, this model can spend 1 focus point to boost all attack and damage rolls for the attack.
Bash - 0.5" reach, P+S 6 melee weapon.
- Warjack - All warjacks share the same set of special rules. Most notably being big and stompy.
- Rhulic Warjack - This warjack must be controlled by either a Rhulic warcaster or Rhulic Jack Marshal.
- Construct - This model is a construct and is not a living model.
- Sturdy - This model cannot be pushed.
Thoughts on Grundback Blaster
Grundback Blaster in a nutshell
The twin brother of the Grundback Gunner, the Blaster sacrifices a single direct shot for a spray template. However it is only spray 8" so its threat range is much reduced compared to the Gunner, so the Gunner is the more popular choice because it is not uncommon for the Blaster to have only one model in range. There will be times when you kill five models in a single activation, however. Blasters come into their own when used to clear jamming models from your other pieces. Gunners, for example. Bringing one in a Dwarf list is never a bad idea.
Combos & Synergies
- General Ossrum gives it Tactician, Energizer, and Unstoppable force to allow you to move, place enemies together, then spray once they are packed together.
- Durgen Madhammer turns their sprays to flamethrowers and gives them Gunfighter on feat turn.
- Gorten Grundback is the third dwarf caster and it works fine with him as well, especially after he feats.
Drawbacks and Downsides
The Blaster has a few major weaknesses:
- Few damage boxes. Its ARM is high enough that it's tough to hurt. But once you do, it falls pretty quick.
- Limited range. Granted, sprays aren't supposed to be hugely long, but you do have to get close in for it to do its job.
- Slowish speed. Compared to other light warjacks, it's plodding. That said, there are a number of ways to speed them up a bit. If you give one to Thor Steinhammer, he can use his drive on it. And General Ossrum has access to Energizer and his feat.
- Really horrible in close combat. If your Blaster gets stuck in melee, it's worth risking the free attack to try and get away.
- Don't do much against heavy armour. Boosted POW 10s means you'll get an average of 20. But if you have just a couple of points left on a heavy, and no better options, it's worth the chance.
Tricks and Tips
- Find a group of fairly tight-packed troops and fire. A single focus boosts both attack and damage rolls, meaning that even high-DEF and high-ARM troops can be hit. Because of this, even heavy warjacks can be lightly damaged. Boosted rolls means 20 damage is average!
- Ossrum loves these guys. Energizer and his feat can make them surprisingly nimble. Bulldozer can push models together to be easier spray targets. And of course, Ossrum loves a 'jack that you only have to put one focus on.
Released in Warmachine: Superiority (2006)
Who can control this warjack
To include this mercenary warjack in your army, it must be controlled by one of the following Rhulic warcasters or marshals. Thus, to include this jack you first need to find a controller that works for your army.
|Rhulic 'Jack Controllers (Edit)|
|Warcasters||Durgen Madhammer - General Ossrum - Gorten Grundback|
Cannot take Colossals
Within mercenaries, this warjack can be used in:
Outside of mercenaries, you can include this warjack in any theme that allows at least one of the controllers listed above. At the time of writing (2017.10) the only such model is Thor Steinhammer.
Other Mercenary models