|This server will go offline in September 2018. Please migrate to our new server, Warmachine University|
|For more info on why we're moving to a new server, check out the Brief History section on the new main page, and/or listen to episode 45 of the LOS podcast|
| If you have made an edit within the last month or so, please check the new server and see if it was copied by the autobot. |
You may need to copy-paste your work to the new server manually. Sorry.
The grotesque assassin represents the next step in evolution among the grotesques that serve Everblight. Reshaped by blighted energy, assassins boast longer bodies, a barbed tail, and more refined wings. These trained killers retain a mental capacity well beyond that of other grotesques, making them skilled hunters capable of leadership and advanced tactics.
- Assassin's Blade (x2) - 0.5" reach, P+S 11 melee weapons.
- Combo Strike (★ Attack) - Make a melee attack. Instead of making a normal damage roll, the POW of the damage roll is equal to this model's STR plus twice the POW of this weapon. (Total P+S = 15)
- Grievous Wounds - A model hit by this weapon loses tough and cannot have damage removed from it for one round.
- Flight - This model ignores (almost) all terrain when moving. This model can move over other models, and ignores intervening models when declaring charges.
- Stealth - Ranged and magic attacks targeting this model from a point of origin greater than 5˝ away automatically miss. This model is not an intervening model when determining line of sight from a model more than 5˝ away.
- Leadership [Grotesque] - Friendly Grotesque models in this model's CMD range gain Stealth.
- Sprint - At the end of an activation in which it destroyed or removed from play one or more enemy models with melee attacks, this model can immediately make a full advance, then its activation ends.
Thoughts on Grotesque Assassin
Grotesque Assassin in a nutshell
The Grotesque Assassin ("the Assassin") is a fairly competent combat solo intended to add some pressure to enemy flanking solos and provide support to the Legion's winged units - Grotesque Raiders and Grotesque Banshees, and tends to do well in both roles.
The Assassin is not too disimilar in general function to the Swordsmen's Blighted Nyss Warlord, but his targets and mechanics are a bit different. He prefers small but still high priority targets, and what he trades in raw damage he makes up through in mobility with the combination of high speed, wings, and Sprint. In a pinch, he can go after slightly harder targets using Combo Strike to make his charge a bit scarier.
He also brings a different form of utility on his swords with Grievous Wounds - like the Warlord's Decapitation, it's useful for ensuring his target dies, but unlike the Warlord if he fails to kil his target, the lasting effect of Grievous Wounds can prevent the enemy from healing their jack or beast who just lost a key aspect or system.
Combos & Synergies
The Assassin does not have a lot of explicit combos, beyond the obvious Grotesque buff bot.
- On the topic of Raiders and Banshees - the Assassin should be a high priority for inclusion with Raiders, as they lack any sort of defensive tech and Stealth can go a long way towards keeping them safe. Banshees, on the other hand, come packed with Force Barrier, and may not need the Assassin to make it to battle mostly intact.
- While Deathstalkers do deal with small swarms of infantry well, they struggle against flanking solos with multiple wounds or access to stealth, so Assassins can bring a much needed counter to these types of threats.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- Stealth only keeps the Assassin so safe, and his low ARM will attract intentionally missed blast damage templates.
- He's not as good as mulching infantry as a pair of Deathstalkers, and not as good at raw damage as a Warlord, so his widespread use is not as great. That said, when offered a spot in a list, the Assassin can still pull his weight when used correctly.
- When using him solely for Grievous Wounds, he's likely to remain in combat and die the following turn.
Tricks & Tips
- Don't overcommit and rely on Sprint to move you back to safety - two bad dice rolls can leave you swinging in the breeze.
Released in Hordes: Devastation (2015)
Other Legion models
|Warlocks|| Barnabas - Calaban - Dr. Arkadius - Helga - Jaga-Jaga - Lord Carver - Maelok - Midas - Rask - Sturm & Drang|
Requires a 2+ caster game
|Lesser Warlocks||Rorsh & Brine - Wrong Eye & Snapjaw|
|Warbeasts||The minion battlegroup members you can include in a Legion army depends entirely on which minion is commanding them. There are too many permutations to list here, please refer to one of the model entries above for full details of what it can take.|
|Minion Units, Solos, & Battle Engines|
|Units||Bog Trog Ambushers - Croak Raiders - Bone Grinders - Brigands - Commandos - Razorback Crew - Slaughterhousers - Bokur & Shamblers - Gatorman Posse - Gobber Bellows Crew|
|Solos|| Mist Speaker - Trawler - Croak Hunter - Feralgeist - Witch Doctor - Tinker - Gremlin Swarm - Gobber Chef - Ogrun Bokur - Thrullg - Totem Hunter|
Agata - Eilish Garrity - Gudrun - Maximus - Rorsh & Brine - Wrong Eye & Snapjaw
|Battle Engines||Meat Thresher - Sacral Vault|