The mighty Grolar shares the Kodiak’s boiler and chassis but uses that strength and speed to deliver crushing blows with its piston hammer before finishing with a withering hail of auto cannon shells.
|See also How to Read the statblock|
Weapons and Attacks
- Auto Cannon - 8" range, ROF d3+2, POW 12 gun
- Open Fist - 1" reach, P+S 15 melee weapon.
- Piston Hammer - 1" reach, P+S 18 melee weapon.
- Ram - On hit, the target is knocked down and may be pushed 1" away. If it is pushed, this model may move the same direction 1".
- Warjack - All warjacks share the same set of special rules. Most notably being big and stompy.
- Construct - This model is a construct and is not a living model.
- Pathfinder - This model treats rough terrain as open terrain while advancing. While charging, slam power attacking, or trample power attacking, this model does not stop its movement when it contacts an obstacle.
- Dual Attack - This model can make both melee and ranged attacks in the same activation. When this model makes its initial melee attacks or a power attack, it can also make its initial ranged attacks. This model can make ranged attacks even while in melee.
Thoughts on Grolar
Grolar in a nutshell
A combined-arms piece, the Grolar is your only jack beside the Kodiak (and Torch on the charge) with Pathfinder. It can shoot, even while in melee, thanks to the awesome Dual Attack rule. It can brawl, and set up targets for follow-up attacks, as well as assassinations with its hammer. It has an open fist to throw away targets, that cannot be knocked down. It is truly a jack of all trades, and quite often this versatility can be its downfall, as people tend to take a more specialized jack instead - which are almost always cheaper.
Combos & Synergies
- Butcher1 and Sorscha2 - Their feat buffs both melee and ranged attacks.
- Harkevich - Broadside doubles its ranged threat, while his feat essentially grants Assault.
- Irusk1 - He needs a few quality jacks into his arsenal, mainly for Superiority targets. The Grolar can be an ideal choice. Could be great with Strakhov1 too due to Superiority and his feat, but it competes for the same spot as Torch, and for the very same point cost..
Drawbacks & Downsides
- The second most expensive non-character jack, and you'll pay in spades, even if you don't use fully its features.
- Can be focus hungry.
- Variable RoF leaves its ranged damage output way too random.
- Can be difficult for beginners to use to its full efficiency.
Tricks & Tips
- Charge with Hammer. Knockdown, then autohit (anything but double-1s) with the Autocannon at point-blank range.
- Unlike Gunfighters, this model is free to shoot targets outside its melee range.
- The rules were released in the Warmachine: Vengeance expansion book (2014)
- Name comes from the polar bear - grizzly bear hibrid.
Themes for generic warjacks (Edit)
- Armored Korps - (Article) (Category)
- Winter Guard Kommand - (Article) (Category)
- Jaws of the Wolf - (Article) (Category)
- Legion of Steel - (Article) (Category)
- Wolves of Winter (Article) (Category)
Other faction models