Mercenary Minion Character Trollkin Unit
Led by the legendary Trollkin fell caller Greygore Boomhowler, this mercenary company can match lead and steel with any regiment of soldiers in the Iron Kingdoms. The brutal combination of Greygore’s devastatingly ear-splitting cries and the natural resilience and tenacity of his Trollkin mercenaries has frequently proven invaluable to military commanders across the land.
|Greygore Boomhowler & Co.|
|| Boomhowler 8 / Grunt 1
Weapons and Attacks
- Blunderbuss - 8" range, POW 12 gun.
- Great Axe - 1" range, P+S 12 melee weapon.
- Entire Unit
- Mercenary - Works for Cryx, Cygnar, Khador.
- Minion - Works for Trollbloods.
- Combined Melee Attack - This unit can combine their melee attacks to get a bonus on accuracy and damage.
- Tough - When this model is disabled, roll a d6. On a 5 or 6, remove 1 damage point from this model; it is no longer disabled and becomes knocked down. While knocked down this model loses Tough.
- Greygore only
- Greygore has slightly higher MAT & CMD and above average damage boxes.
- Officer - This model is the unit commander even if the unit has a Leader model.
- Fell Calls - This model can make one of the following Calls during its activation. A target can only benefit from one Fell Call at a time.
- Cacophony - CMD bubble that prevents enemy spellcasting and channeling.
- Call of Defiance - For one round, models in this unit can make tough rolls even while knocked down.
- Reveille - Knocked down friendly Faction models in this model's CMD range immediately stand up. Models that became knocked down this turn are not affected by Reveille.
Thoughts on Greygore Boomhowler & Co.
Greygore Boomhowler & Co. in a nutshell
Boomhowlers are a decent tar pit jamming unit with Boomhowler's ability to keep the unit making tough rolls and with their innate toughness and resistance to blasts and small arms fire making them a nuisance to remove. The fell call that will make the enemy grind their teeth when it works, however, is Cacophony - which shuts down animi as well as some spellcasting units.
Combos & Synergies
Drawbacks & Downsides
- Easy to hit and they go down pretty easily.
- A lot gets round tough.
- The unit is effectively costed as veteran troops - and to put it bluntly they struggle to be more effective than e.g. Press Gangers as a tar pit. Boomhowler on his own at 3.5 points is pretty decent for cacophany and some brawling.
Tricks & Tips
- Keep Boomhowler at the back to keep him alive.
Notable changes from Mk2
- Tough got nerfed, meaning that Boomhowlers' no longer jam half so well.
- Slight cost reduction
- Both leader and grunts lost a point of SPD, ARM, and CMD
- Call of Defiance changed from making a tough roll on 4,5,6 to not losing Tough when knocked down
- Call to Action changed to Reveille, slightly weaker
- Rage Howler replaced with Cacophony due to the removal of psychological effects
How can I include this model in my army?
Mercenaries are a bit more complicated than regular faction models, they can be taken in one of three different ways.
- This model can be included in a pure Mercenary or a pure Minion army.
- This model can be included in the following Faction armies:
- This model can be included in the following theme forces:
| Minion - Faction models (Edit)
| Mercenary - Faction models (Edit)
Rules Clarification : Weapon Master - None yet. (Edit)
Rules Clarification : Combined Ranged Attack (Edit)
- CRA cannot target models in melee, except for huge-based models.
- Assault & CRA (Edit)
- You cannot mix Combined Range Attacks with Assault shots, as CRA works during your combat action and Assault shots occur before it. (Infernal Ruling)
Rules Clarification : Tough - None yet. (Edit)
Rules Clarification : Officer (Edit)
- Even if they're not on the Officer's card, an Officer can give (and benefit from) any non-standard orders that are on the unit's card (such as Shield Wall). Refer main rulebook.
- When the Officer dies, the Leader model becomes the new Unit Commander (you don't get to choose).
- But if your unit doesn't include a Leader model, then you do get to choose any of the remaining models to be the new Unit Commander. You don't swap the model, but it may be worth putting a token down so you can tell that grunt apart.
Rules Clarification : Fell Calls (Edit)
| Restrictions on "Any Time" abilities (Edit)
- "Any Time" abilities can be used at any time during a model/unit's activation, except:
- The model with the Any Time ability has had their activation end "prematurely". By this I mean you resolve anything which includes "its activation ends". Examples include:
- Running, failing a charge, or failing a slam.
- Abilities that include "then its activation ends" (such as Reposition and Teleport).
- You're in the middle of moving. (Note: Impact Attacks count as being in the middle of movement).
- You're in the middle of an attack. Note that the attack is not over until you finish step 14 of the attack sequence (Apdx A).
- Your opponent interrupted your activation to trigger one of their own abilities, such as Countercharge.
- In general you can use "Any Time" abilities while you're knocked down or stationary (except Spells and Feats which specify you can't).
- Even if the ability says "any time during the unit's activation", a model in a unit can't use an Any Time ability if they run, fail a charge, or use an ability like Reposition.
- Because that model's activation has ended (even if the unit's activation is still ongoing) and you can't use abilities on models that are not active.
- So, for example:
- You cannot use a minifeat after the Officer runs. (Infernal Ruling)
- You cannot use a minifeat after anyone in the unit has begun a Reposition move. (Infernal Ruling)
Rules Clarification : Call of Defiance - None yet. (Edit)
Rules Clarification : Reveille - None yet. (Edit)