Grand Scrutator Severius
Severius lives to battle the enemies of his faith. He brings a commanding presence and undeniable genius to the battlefield, and his warjacks come alive with the same fervour as his converts. While age may have withered the warcaster and stolen his former strength, what he lacks in bodily prowess he makes up for with divine power. When he speaks the Litany of Menoth in battle, he can instantly silence the blasphemous sorceries of his enemies.
- 1 Basic Info
- 2 Thoughts on Grand Scrutator Severius
- 3 Other
|See also How to Read the statblock|
- Staff of Judgement - 2" reach, P+S 13 melee weapon.
- Warcaster - This model comes with a bunch of special rules, most notably being really awesome at everything.
- Eye of Menoth - Friendly faction models gain a small buff to attack/damage rolls while in range.
- Sacred Ward - This model can't be targeted by enemy spells.
Feat : Divine Might
While in Severius' control range, enemy models 1) cannot cast spells, 2) cannot be used to channel spells, 3) enemy warcaster/warlocks suffer -2 FOCUS and FURY.
- Ashes to Ashes - Cost 3, 8" range, POW 10
- If this spell hits the target, the d3 nearest enemies within 4" suffer a simultaneous POW 10 fire damage roll. These extra damage rolls are not considered to have been caused by an attack.
- Death Sentence - COST 2, Range 8", offensive upkeep. Attack rolls against target enemy model/unit can be rerolled.
- Defender's Ward - COST 3 RNG 6 upkeep spell that grants a friendly faction model/unit +2 DEF & ARM.
- Immolation - Cost 2, 8" range, POW 12 fire damage.
- Influence - Cost 2, Range 10 offensive spell. Take control of target enemy non-warcaster, non-warlock warrior model. The model immediately makes one basic attack, then Influence expires. A model can be affected by Influence only once per turn.
- Vision - COST 2 RNG 6 Upkeep spell that lets a single Faction model choose to ignore the damage from a single enemy attack, then it expires.
Thoughts on Grand Scrutator Severius
Grand Scrutator Severius in a nutshell
Severius has Eye of Menoth. He's always going to have a place. He can be shot off the table, but with some cover, he's much more survivable. Also, he can be bad into kill box scenarios. However, his feat forces an opponent to play further forward to project power. That makes Severius gunline an interesting counterplay.
Severius1 has something for everyone and can support his army in many ways and his feat can keep the opponent honest. Keep him safe and let him make his army fight just better.
Maximising his feat and spells
Severius1 is the natural predator of casters that need to cast spells to be effective. An example is Butcher3. He needs to cast Flashing Blade to get the maximum effect of his abilities. Another is a teleport caster. They can't teleport out once that get within the control area. It's a devious trap.
New to Mk 3 is the focus and fury reduction of his feat. This actually shrinks the control area of casters, so you might end up with some interesting choices. it could make beasts frenzy at the periphery of their casters control, either because they are newly out the control area, or because the reduced focus stat means that the caster can leach less fury. Same with focus, you might reduce the control area of a caster to an extent where they are out of control at the beginning of their turn.
This makes Severius a caster who can really force an opponent to move forward. Imagine a split scenario with 2 zones and a FOC 6 caster for example, trying to bridge the gap and contest both zones. Severius shuts that down; they have a lower focus/fury for turn and can't threaten nearly the area.
Don't forget that reducing the enemy focus/fury also hinders their ability to hit with spells should they move out of your control area, or use an arc node.
Typical Army & Strategy
Severus is basically a brawling beat down caster. He makes his army hit harder and more accurately with Eye of Menoth, has a couple of defensive upkeeps and one offensive one - and no significant control. Beat the enemy until they stop moving.
This guy can handle it all. Ive never found anything that didnt get a helping hand from our Priest King. With his Eye of Menoth ability he can take any unit, jack, solo, or even our battle engine and make them hit a little more often and a littler harder. That said he likes arc nodes - the Revenger, his personal Blessing of Vengeance, or the heavy Guardian
Drawbacks & Downsides
- His "old man" stats mean that he dies very easily to anything that can get at him.
- Because he should play so far back he's a lot weaker against anything with anti-magic or that strips upkeeps.
Tricks & Tips
- Learn how to use arc nodes. He's pure support.
Comparison to Mk2
Severius' changes from Mk2 are, arguably, an improvement.
- His signature spell in Mk2 (Eye of Menoth) became a passive ability saving him some focus each turn.
- The *Action Convert changed to become the spell Influence.
- His feat dropped in how much focus it removes, but gained the ability to affect fury, which means he can now affect Hordes, and can be a good match up into those lists.
- Ashes to Ashes a key spell of his, is slightly cheaper but only now affects d3 not d6 further targets.
- This man is well over 80 years old.
- He is one of the three original Protectorate casters, released in Warmachine: Prime (2003)
Protectorate generic themes (Edit)
Other Protectorate models
|Warcasters||Ashlynn - Bartolo - Damiano - MacBain - Durgen - Ossrum - Magnus1 - Magnus2|
Requires a 2+ caster game
|Other Controllers||Mini-casters||Gastone Crosse - Rorsh & Brine|
|Marshals||Colbie Sterling - Dirty Meg - Rutger Shaw|
|Warjacks & Warbeasts||The mercenary battlegroup members you can include in a Protectorate army depends entirely on which mercenary 'caster is commanding them. There are too many permutations to list here, please refer to one of the model entries above for full details of what it can take.|
|Mercenary Units, Solos, & Battle Engines|
|Units|| Horgenhold Artillery - Horgenhold Forge Guard - Ogrun Assault Corps - Press Gangers - Sea Dog Deck Gun - Sea Dog Pirates - Steelhead Halberdiers - Steelhead Cavalry - Steelhead Riflemen - Thorn Gun Mages|
Captain Sam & the Devildogs - Croe's Cutthroats - Blythe & Bull - Herne & Jonne - Aiyana & Holt
|Solos||Alten Ashley - Anastasia - Bradigan - Grogspar - Colbie Sterling - Dirty Meg - Doc Killingsworth - Eiryss1 - Eiryss2 - Hawk - Gastone - Gorman - Bailoch - Rockbottom - Dougal - Orin - Rhupert - Rorsh & Brine - Rutger - Saxon - Sergeant Nicolas - Stannis - Taryn|
|Warcaster attachments||Madelyn Corbeau|