One day Gorten had a revelation: he was meant to be a Warcaster. Having heard tales among men and dwarves about the great honour and glory those who can wield magic in battle, he decided to leave the mining life behind and bring his command of stone and earth to the battlefield. At his call, walls of rock rise from nowhere, molten ore will slag his enemies, and allies become rooted to the ground such that nought but death shall move them.
- 1 Basic Info
- 2 Thoughts on Gorten Grundback
- 3 Other
|See also How to Read the statblock|
- Dual Hand Cannon - 12" range, ROF 2, POW 12 gun.
- Both Barrels (★ Attack) - The attack gains a good POW bonus, but you can't get any additional attacks.
- Forge Father - 0.5" reach, P+S 14 melee weapon.
- Damage Type: Magical - This weapon can damage incorporeal models.
- Critical Smite - On a critical hit, the model hit can be slammed d6" directly away from this model. If the model hit has a larger base than the attacking model, it is moved only half the distance rolled. The POW of collateral damage is equal to the STR of this model.
- Gutter - 0.5" reach, P+S 9 melee weapon.
- Mercenary - will work for Cygnar and Khador.
- Warcaster - This model comes with a bunch of special rules, most notably being really awesome at everything.
- Rhulic Warcaster - This warcaster can control only Rhulic warjacks.
- Tough - When this model is disabled, roll a d6. On a 5 or 6, remove 1 damage point from this model; it is no longer disabled and becomes knocked down. While knocked down this model loses Tough.
- Eruption - Cost 3, 8" range, 3" AOE, POW 14
- Causes Fire Damage. Also, the AOE is a cloud effect and a hazard that remains in play for one round. Models entering/ending their activation in the AOE take an unboostable POW 14 fire damage roll.
- Molten Metal - Cost 2, 10" range, Offensive
- Target warjack suffers 1 point of fire damage to each column on its damage grid.
- Rock Wall - Cost 2, Upkeep
- Place a wall template completely within the caster's CTRL range that isn't contacting anything else. The wall is an obstacle that provides cover.
- Solid Ground - Cost 2, Upkeep
- While within the caster's CTRL range, friendly Faction models gain immunity to being knocked down and blast damage.
- Strength of Granite - Low cost, short range upkeep spell targeting a battlegroup model. Provides a high STR buff.
Feat : Landslide
Pushes all enemy models in Gorten's CTRL range up to 8" to a table edge of your choice. They also suffer -3 to SPD,RAT & DEF and lose the ability to give/receive orders or perform charges, slams, and tramples.
Thoughts on Gorten Grundback
Comparison to Mk2
Not a lot has changed about our beloved hammer-wielding, double-barrelled, landsliding, tank on legs. His feat is just as good (maybe even a bit better, due to the changes in measuring), and his spell list is virtually identical. The inability to stack armour with FOC stings a bit, but the new DAM prevention from spending a FOC might actually end up as even a touch better, depending on the situation. He still is slow as hell, but hits like the freight train he is. His warjack points have been bumped up a bit, too, meaning you can take up to 5 gun bunnies for free, or mix and match some heavies with bunnies without batting an eyelash (his old battlebox under MKIII points would still leave enough points for nearly Thor to be added!).
Gorten Grundback in a nutshell
Maximising his feat and spells
You know it; you love it. Nothing has changed about this amazing feat, with the exception that pre-measure will now allow you to debuff and push away/pull towards you Gorten's run distance with a bit more surety. The debuffs to SPD, RAT, and DEF alone are fantastic, but the board control it gives to you and your walking tank can be the deciding factor in scenario wins, assassinations, and so much more. The only downside remains from MKII: a paltry control area. Again, pre-measure helps to mitigate this a bit, but there has never been a Rhulic player who hasn't wished for just 2" more.
This feat can be used in a number of different ways:
- Drag the opposing caster to you (or sometimes left or right work), kill them. This tactic is used against the unprepared player. There are plenty of ways to set this up. You could slide the opposing caster to a Earthbreaker or Driller, Alexia and her Risen, Kayazy Assassins, Anastasia Di Bray, use your imagination. Experienced players won't allow you to do this easily.
- Shove everything 8" towards it's own deployment zone. This is awesome for clearing flags and zones. It can also force some casters to killbox themselves, especially warcaster units that won't be able to issue run orders
- Defensively feating to defend the Earthbreaker or Gorton. If your opponent has a colossal or two, they aren't going anywhere, but you can use the feat to buy your Earthbreaker a turn to get into position for the charge and land some more shots.
- Use Rock Wall. Sometimes, you can bunch up a huge number of enemy models by placing a wall in front of them and sliding them into it. Then you blast them. This can also be used to move a warcaster away from its guard, warbeasts and warjacks out of control range, move unit leaders away from their units, the possibilities are limitless.
- Pull your target out from behind cover to set them up for a charge or shooting. Pull them behind obstacles to prevent them from charging.
- Push models into hazards or rough terrain.
- Split up squads. As they can't take orders, this can tie up a particularly hard squad, or prevent squads that rely on orders (like Hammerfall High Shield Gun Corps, for example) from being able to do their orders.
Think carefully about the order models are moved. Slide a shield guard into its caster, then slide the caster 8" away from it. Create bunched up models where it serves your purpose, or spread units out as much as possible.
- Eruption - Rarely gets cast because of Gorten's focus limitations, short range, and questionable use. Usually a desperation play, but the ability to block LOS can come in handy sometimes.
- Molten Metal - ix guaranteed points of damage isn't terrible, and can be very useful when you have just one box left of a system somewhere.
- Rock Wall - It can be used to provide cover, block charge lanes, stop specific models when you are using Landslide, force models to risk a hazard.
- Solid Ground - It is almost always cast on the first round and kept up.
- Strength of Granite - Any melee 'jack (or Gorton himself!) can use this spell. Bashers crush ARM 25, Drillers can do 29 points of damage with their drills, Earthbreakers can toss a heavy 'jack 10" away. All on average rolls.
Typical Army & Strategy
Gorton is a very forgiving caster. He doesn't need some Goldberg-esque system to win, just simply outlast and outdamage everyone else. That said, he's not invincible nor all-powerful. As a support caster, Solid Ground and Rock Wall are impressive buffs. Boomhower & Co. love not being knocked down and so, not losing Tough. Low-ARM models like Nyss and Kayazy love not having to worry about blasts. As an offensive caster, Strength of Granite makes him and his melee 'jacks brutal. Spells like Molten Metal and Eruption are situationally useful. You won't use them most games, but on those one-off situations, you'll be glad they are there.
The feat is nearly always your game-winner, setting up for your assassination run or finishing off a scenario. Wait for the right moment then let it rip.
Gorton wants two things in his army:
- High-Def or Tough troops for his Solid Ground bubble. Nyss, Kayazy, Boomhowlers are all good choices for this.
- Melee 'jacks for his Strength of Granite spell. Once you have a SoG Basher trample through a group of infantry or when you start using your enemies warjacks as ranged weapons, or seen the look of horror when your loaded-up Driller with SoG rips up a colossal... you too will understand the power of SoG.
Drawbacks & Downsides
Gorten has three major weaknesses:
- Speed. If he were any faster he'd probably be too good. As is, he'll slog. Watch out for Rough Terrain, or it will be one miserable slog.
- Limited army support. Rock Wall is a great spell that does more for an army than one might think, and Solid Ground is great with the right models, and the feat makes the other army really easy targets that don't fight back. But the rest of the time, his army is pretty much on its own.
- Limited focus. If he had even one more, he'd be one of the most powerful casters in the game. You'll usually be casting or upkeeping one or two spells each turn, which leaves you next-to-nothing to allocate or cast spells with. Also, a low FOCUS stat makes it harder to hit with offensive spells. Bring focus efficient warjacks and don't expect him to do very much himself besides bring a nasty feat.
Tricks & Tips
- Cast Strength of Granite on your melee 'jack. If your 'jack is gone, then cast it on Gorten.
- Cast Solid Ground first round, upkeep it the whole game. Keep your High-DEF, low-ARM troops in his control area to shield them. Or Tough troops. Or both.
- Advance a squad. Cast Rock Wall in front of it for a quick and easy DEF buff. It can also block charge lanes, fill gaps in existing walls, stop landslide targets, and generally get in the way, especially of huge sized models.
- If Gorten gets into melee combat, try and line up your target so there is a equal-or-larger based model behind it so you can slam them into it. Or cast Rock Wall behind them!
- Remember, as a small model, he's only going to be slamming medium and large based models half the distance rolled.
- Remember that Strength of Granite adds to Gorton's STR, so will be adding to the distance you smite as well as the damage.
- Bosun Grogspar can hit Gorten in the back and Pitch him. This is not in any way a reliable extra distance for Gorten's feat (it's d6") - but should make your opponent extremely paranoid about Gorten's threat range.
- Originally released in Warmachine: Escalation (2004)
How can I include this model?
Mercenaries are a bit more complicated than regular faction models, they can be taken in one of three different ways:
- This model can be included in a pure Mercenary army.
- This model can be included in the following Faction armies (requires a 2+ caster game):
- This model can be included in the following theme forces:
What warjacks can this warcaster take?
|Rhulic Warjacks (Edit)|
|Heavy||Avalancher - Basher - Driller - Rockram|
Other Mercenary models
Rules Clarification : Feat: Landslide