|This server will go offline in September 2018. Please migrate to our new server, Warmachine University|
|For more info on why we're moving to a new server, check out the Brief History section on the new main page, and/or listen to episode 45 of the LOS podcast|
| If you have made an edit within the last month or so, please check the new server and see if it was copied by the autobot. |
You may need to copy-paste your work to the new server manually. Sorry.
One day Gorten had a revelation: he was meant to be a Warcaster. Having heard tales among men and dwarves about the great honour and glory those who can wield magic in battle, he decided to leave the mining life behind and bring his command of stone and earth to the battlefield. At his call, walls of rock rise from nowhere, molten ore will slag his enemies, and allies become rooted to the ground such that nought but death shall move them.
- 1 Basic Info
- 2 Thoughts on Gorten Grundback
- 3 Other
|See also How to Read the statblock|
- Dual Hand Cannon - 12" range, ROF 2, POW 12 gun.
- Both Barrels (★ Attack) - This model gains +4 to the damage roll for this attack. This model cannot make additional ranged attacks with this weapon during an activation in which it used Both Barrels.
- Forge Father - 0.5" reach, P+S 14 melee weapon.
- Damage Type: Magical - This weapon can damage incorporeal models.
- Critical Smite - On a critical hit, the model hit can be slammed d6" directly away from this model. If the model hit has a larger base than the attacking model, it is moved only half the distance rolled. The POW of collateral damage is equal to the STR of this model.
- Gutter - 0.5" reach, P+S 9 melee weapon.
- Mercenary - In a 2+ caster game, he can work as a Cygnar mercenary or Khador mercenary.
- Warcaster - All warcasters come with a stack of standard special rules - most notably being awesome.
- Rhulic Warcaster - This warcaster can control only Rhulic warjacks.
- Tough - When this model is disabled, roll a d6. On a 5 or 6, remove 1 damage point from this model; it is no longer disabled and becomes knocked down. While knocked down this model loses Tough.
- Eruption - Cost 3, 8" range, 3" AOE, POW 14
- Causes Fire Damage. Models hit suffer a POW 14 fire damage roll. This spell's AOE is a cloud effect and hazard that remains in play for one round. Models entering or ending their activations in the AOE suffer an unboostable POW 14 fire damage roll.
- Molten Metal - Cost 2, 10" range, Offensive spell with special POW'
- Target warjack suffers 1 point of fire damage to each column on its damage grid.
- Rock Wall - Cost 2, Upkeep
- Place a wall template completely within the caster's CTRL range that isn't contacting anything else. The wall is an obstacle that provides cover.
- Solid Ground - Cost 2, Upkeep
- While within the caster's CTRL range, friendly Faction models gain immunity to being knocked down and blast damage.
- Strength of Granite - Cost 2, 6" range, Upkeep
- Target model in Gorten's battlegroup gains +4 STR.
Feat : Landslide
Pushes all enemy models in Gorten's CTRL range up to 8" to a table edge of your choice. They also suffer -3 to SPD,RAT & DEF and lose the ability to give/receive orders or perform charges, slams, and tramples.
Thoughts on Gorten Grundback
Gorten Grundback in a nutshell
Gorten walks ever so slowly forward upkeeping Solid Ground and casting Rock Walls until it's time for him to feat. Hopefully it wins him the game.
Gorten's feat is the strongest in the game without factoring in the 10" control area. As such, it is critical to him winning or losing and it is super easy to screw it up by moving models in the wrong order, or not being able to see where models will finish.
This feat can be used in a number of different ways:
- Drag the opposing caster to you (or sometimes left or right work), kill them. This tactic is used against the unprepared player. There are plenty of ways to set this up. You could slide the opposing caster to a Earthbreaker or Driller, Alexia and her Risen, Kayazy Assassins, Anastasia Di Bray, use your imagination. Experienced players won't allow you to do this easily, and the odds of the opposing caster starting your turn within 14" of Gorten are quite low.
- Shove everything 8" towards it's own deployment zone. This is awesome for clearing flags and zones. It can also force some casters to killbox themselves, especially warcaster units that won't be able to issue run orders
- Defensively feating to defend the Earthbreaker or Gorten. If your opponent has a colossal or two, they aren't going anywhere, but you can use the feat to buy your Earthbreaker a turn to get into position for the charge and land some more shots.
- Use Rock Wall. Sometimes, you can bunch up a huge number of enemy models by placing a wall in front of them and sliding them into it. Then you blast them. This can also be used to move a warcaster away from its guard, warbeasts and warjacks out of control range, move unit leaders away from their units, the possibilities are limitless.
- Pull your target out from behind cover to set them up for a charge or shooting. Pull them behind obstacles to prevent them from charging.
- Push models into hazards or rough terrain.
- Split up squads. As they can't take orders, this can tie up a particularly hard squad, or prevent squads that rely on orders (like Hammerfall High Shield Gun Corps, for example) from being able to do their orders.
Think carefully about the order models are moved. Slide a shield guard into its caster, then slide the caster 8" away from it. Create bunched up models where it serves your purpose, or spread units out as much as possible.
- Eruption - Rarely gets cast because of Gorten's focus limitations, short range, and questionable use. Usually a desperation play, but the ability to block LOS can come in handy sometimes. Sometimes you might put the cloud out and feat a bunch of infantry into it.
- Molten Metal - Six guaranteed points of damage isn't terrible, especially against high ARM warjacks, and can be very useful when you have just one box left of a system somewhere.
- Rock Wall - It can be used to provide cover, block charge lanes, stop specific models when you are using Landslide and prevent things from reaching melee range.
- Solid Ground - It is almost always cast on the first round and kept up unless the opponent has no blasts or knock down effects.
- Strength of Granite - Any melee 'jack (or Gorten himself!) can use this spell. It makes them hit much harder. What else do you want to know about it?
Typical Army & Strategy
Gorten needs to keep as much of his army alive as possible while he gets in position to feat. Unfortunately, he has been stealth nerfed several times since he can't charge friendly models or be slammed or thrown by his own warjacks. The only way to increase the threat of his feat is by pitching him with Bosun Grogspar. This makes it easier for your opponent to position to minimize your feat turn.
Gorten usually brings the following:
- High-Def or Tough troops for his Solid Ground bubble. Nyss, Kayazy, Boomhowlers are all good choices for this.
- Melee 'jacks for his Strength of Granite spell. Once you have a SoG Basher trample through a group of infantry or when you start using your enemies warjacks as ranged weapons, or seen the look of horror when your loaded-up Driller with SoG rips up a colossal... you too will understand the power of SoG. You should bring at least one Driller. Possibly an Earthbreaker, but don't go crazy on the battlegroup. Gorten has 5 focus and a small control area.
- Gunners are always a solid choice. He can put Rock Walls in front of them so they become DEF 16 and can't be knocked down or pushed.
- His Earthbreaker is solid since Gorten can protect it from melee attacks with Rock Walls and Strength of Granite makes it P+S 25
In Hammer Strike, Forge Guard gain the Tough special rule, which coupled with a pair of Siege Crawlers bringing them back plus Rock Walls, and Solid Ground, is about the slowest, stoutest, most resilient, most dwarfish army you're going to get from Warmachine.
Drawbacks & Downsides
Gorten has three major weaknesses:
- Spd 4 and very few ways to make him go faster.
- Limited army support. Rock Wall is a great spell that does more for an army than one might think, and Solid Ground is great with the right models, and the feat makes the other army really easy targets that don't fight back. But the rest of the time, his army is pretty much on its own.
- Limited focus. If he had even one more, he'd be one of the most powerful casters in the game. You'll usually be casting or upkeeping one or two spells each turn, which leaves you next-to-nothing to allocate or cast spells with. Also, a low FOCUS stat makes it harder to hit with offensive spells. Bring focus efficient warjacks and don't expect him to do very much himself besides bring a nasty feat.
Tricks & Tips
- Cast Strength of Granite on your melee 'jack. If your 'jack is gone, then cast it on Gorten.
- Cast Solid Ground first round, upkeep it the whole game. Keep your High-DEF, low-ARM troops in his control area to shield them. Or Tough troops. Or both.
- Advance a squad. Cast Rock Wall in front of it for a quick and easy DEF buff. It can also block charge lanes, fill gaps in existing walls, stop landslide targets, and generally get in the way, especially of huge sized models.
- If Gorten gets into melee combat, try and line up your target so there is a equal-or-larger based model behind it so you can slam them into it. Or cast Rock Wall behind them!
- Remember, as a small model, he's only going to be slamming medium and large based models half the distance rolled.
- Bosun Grogspar can hit Gorten in the back and Pitch him. This is not in any way a reliable extra distance for Gorten's feat (it's d6") - but should make your opponent extremely paranoid about Gorten's threat range.
- Originally released in Warmachine: Escalation (2004)
Warjacks he can take
|Rhulic Warjacks (Edit)|
|Heavy||Avalancher - Basher - Driller - Rockram|
Other Mercenary models
Rules Clarification : Feat: Landslide
| * The "Damage Type: Magical" is not inherited by "secondary" damage from a weapon. That is, stuff like arcs (Electro Leap) or hazards (Scather). (Infernal Ruling)