Goreshade the Cursed
|This server will go offline in September 2018. Please migrate to our new server, Warmachine University|
|For more info on why we're moving to a new server, check out the Brief History section on the new main page, and/or listen to episode 45 of the LOS podcast|
| If you have made an edit within the last month or so, please check the new server and see if it was copied by the autobot. |
You may need to copy-paste your work to the new server manually. Sorry.
A terrible hubris motivates Goreshade. His eyes fire with a mad glow all the more terrifying for its unshakable conviction. Becoming an eldritch granted him insight into the endless chasm between Caen and Urcaen from which the banes manifest and irrevocably altered his perception of reality. Even if his people refuse his unorthodox notion of "salvation", he will bring it to them by force. He stands ready to unmake Caen if he must.
- 1 Basic Info
- 2 Thoughts on Goreshade the Cursed
- 3 Other
|See also How to Read the statblock|
- Voass - 2" reach, P+S 15 melee weapon. Stolen from the Iosan god Nyssor!
- Warcaster - All warcasters come with a stack of standard special rules - most notably being awesome.
- Arcane Consumption - If an enemy model casts a spell while in this model's CMD range, the enemy caster immediately takes d3 damage and this caster heals d3 damage. If the enemy caster is destroyed from the damage their spell does not take effect.
- Tactician [Bane] - While in this model's CMD range, friendly Bane models can ignore other friendly Bane models when determining LOS. Friendly Bane models can advance through other friendly Bane models in this model's CMD range if they have enough movement to move completely past them.
- Immunity: Cold - This model does not suffer cold damage.
- Undead - This model is an undead model and not a living model.
- Abyssal Gate - Cost 3, 8" range, POW 12
- If an enemy non-warcaster, non-warlock model is damaged, that model can be placed anywhere completely within 3" of its current location. A model can only be placed once by the Gate per turn.
- Curse of Shadows - Cost 3, 8" range, Offensive Upkeep
- Target model/unit suffers -2 ARM and cannot make free strikes. A model can advance through an affected model if it has enough movement to move completely past its base.
- Hex Blast - Cost 3, 10" range, 3" AOE, POW 13
- On a direct hit, enemy upkeeps and animi on the target expire.
- Mirage - Cost 2, 6" range, Upkeep
- Target friendly Faction model/unit gains Apparition. (Apparition - During your Control Phase, place this model anywhere completely within 2" of it's current location.)
- Occultation - Cost 2, 6" range, Upkeep.
- Target Friendly faction model/unit gains Stealth. Models are not affected while out of formation.
Remove one or more friendly Faction warrior models currently in Goreshade's control range from play. For each model removed, return one destroyed non-character friendly Faction warrior model to play completely within Goreshade's control range. Place returned trooper models in formation with their original units. Returned models forfeit their Combat Actions the turn they return to play.
Thoughts on Goreshade the Cursed
Goreshade the Cursed in a Nutshell
Goreshade the Cursed is an offensive spellslinger who supports troops, and debuffs the enemy. He also shuts down a variety of spellcasting troopers and solos without having to do anything. His feat allows a really effective denial/attrition game, whic can turn the tide of battle.
- Arcane Consumption is the bane of single wound units with Magic Ability. It makes close-range spellcasting a suicide mission for them, support and offensive alike. Animi are spells as well, so you can chip crucial health points from warbeasts too. It works in your CMD zone rather than CTRL.
- Tactician on Bane units work hand in hand with their Ghostly ability; ignore terrain with the latter, and your own models with the former.
A really potent feat, for which you bring cheap, disposable units to swing the attrition war to your favour. Nothing illustrates efficiency better than exchanging your 0,9 pts Mechanithrall to a 4 pts Bane Rider.
- Abyssal Gate - Expensive, but can be extremely useful due to the place effect. Battle engines, and various models resist pushes and slams, but few resist placement effects. Don't forget to turn the model around - models with Backstab (like Croe's Cutthroats will really appreciate that.
- Curse of Shadows - Good Cryxian damage fixer. Combine it with Dark Shroud from the Bane Warriors and watch enemy jacks and beasts crumble.
- Hex Blast - Complements nicely with Arcane Consumption.
- Mirage - Extra threat range for your units, or ways to extricate them from jamming models.
- Occultation - Ensure your Bane Knights or Bane Riders reach their target in tact.
Goreshade allows you to commit your forces more boldly than with other casters, and once you tied down the enemy, bring back losses to strengthen your lines. Keep a unit of cheap infantry behind (but in CTRL) for sacrificing purposes, and out of reach for the enemy's guns.
Goreshade lacks battlegroup spells, and works well works well with infantry units. he both likes both very cheap and very expensive units too
- Scrap Thrall, Mechanithralls, Carrion Thralls, Soul Trappers - cheapest models available for your feat. The Necrosurgeon's Stitch Thralls can also work in a pinch.
- Bane Riders - Both Mirage and Occultation are excellent on them, and Curse of Shadows can deal with screening models too.
- Bane Warriors - With their UA and Bane Lord Tartarus' Death Toll it takes quite a while until the enemy can take down a whole unit. If the UA gets sniped out before their minifeat, use Gorshade's feat to bring them back.
- With all the synergy with Banes, the Dark Host might seem like an ideal theme force. However, the only cheap, disposable infantry will be Scrap Thralls and Soul Trappers, or Cephalyx partisans.
Drawbacks, Downsides, & Bad Match-Ups
- RFP attacks on your important models won't allow them to be brought back by your feat - avoid themes like Band of Heroes, Masters of War, or Shadows of the Retribution.
- Anti-magic tricks and units will cause him a lot of headache.
- Not much support which goes exclusively to your battlegroup.
Tricks & Tips
- If your enemy has attacks that can cause RFP, like in the above mentioned Troll or Retribution themes, warn them in the spirit of fair play that they actually have to state whether or not they'll use the RFP feature. If they don't the attack doesn't automatically has that effect on them, and those slain models will be eligible for revival.
- As the feat affects warrior models, you can return to play cavalry, solos, and sometimes even unit leaders (like the Revenant Crew of the Atramentos's leader) or Officers, when the enemy killed them and you couldn't field promote.
- A dimension of the feat that is often overlooked is that it also works on non-character faction solos. This has several interesting advantages over feating to bring back troopers, as trooper recursion is stymied if the entire unit is wiped out. Solos can always be brought back so long as they were not RFP'd, and moreover, they can be placed anywhere in his control range. Saving the feat for later turns to bring back the likes of Pistol Wraiths, Warwitch Sirens, or even Machine Wraiths when there is less to threaten them can open up interesting scenario possibilities.
- If you are fielding living infantry then a min unit of Mechanithralls and a Necrosurgeon can take corpse tokens generated from friendly casualties and turn them into thralls. On feat turn the thralls charge then get turned back into living infantry.
- Originally released in Warmachine: Legends (2008)
- Sculptor: Jeff Grace
Themes for any-and-all casters (Edit)
- Black Industries (Article) (Category)
- Dark Host (Article) (Category)
- The Ghost Fleet (Article) (Category)
- Infernal Machines (Article) (Category)
- Scourge of the Broken Coast (Article) (Category)
- Slaughter Fleet Raiders (Article) (Category)
Other Cryx Models
|Warcasters|| Captain Bartolo - Captain Damiano - Cognifex - Drake MacBain - Exulon - Fiona - Magnus1 - Magnus2|
Requires a 2+ caster game.
|Other Controllers||Raluk Moorclaw (Marshal) - Rorsh & Brine (Lesser Warlock) - Wrongeye & Snapjaw (Lesser Warlock)|
|Warjacks, Warbeasts, & Monstrosities||The mercenary battlegroup members you can include in a Cryx army depends entirely on what type of model is commanding them. There are too many permutations to list here, please refer to one of the model entries above for full details of what it can take.|
|Mercenary Units, Solos, & Battle Engines|
|Units||Press Gangers - Sea Dog Deck Gun - Sea Dog Pirates & CA & WA - Steelhead Halberdiers - Steelhead Heavy Cavalry - Steelhead Riflemen|
|Solos|| Ogrun Bokur - Swamp Gobber Raiders
Rules Clarification : Feat: Reanimator
| * The "Damage Type: Magical" is not inherited by "secondary" damage from a weapon. That is, stuff like arcs (Electro Leap) or hazards (Scather). (Infernal Ruling)