Mercenary Rhulic Colossal
When the wealthiest Rhulic clans need to leverage immense power—whether at a construction site or on the battlefield—they mobilize the Ghordson Earthbreaker. This hulking construct, outfitted with drilling torpedoes and massive steam claws, can level opposing soldiers and warjacks as easily as it moves mountains of earth. While these great machines were once employed only within Rhul, the emergence of Colossals in the wars of the Iron Kingdoms has motivated Rhulic mercenary warcasters to invest in Ghordson Earthbreakers to maintain their competitive edge.
Weapons and Attacks
- Steam Claw x2 - 2" range, P+S 21 melee weapons
- Repeating Cannon (x2) - 12" range, D3 ROF, POW 13 ranged weapons
- Torpedo (x2) - 10" range, AOE 4, POW 13 ranged weapons
- From Beneath - Attacks with this weapon ignore cover, concealment, and elevation.
- Attack Type - When you make an attack with this weapon you must choose one of the following types:
- Crater - This weapon's AOE remains in play as rough terrain.
- Quake - If this weapon directly hits, all models in the AOE are knocked down.
- Colossal - Colossals are giant warjacks, even bigger and stompier. They all share a stack of standard special rules.
- Construct - This model is a construct and is not a living model.
- Pathfinder - This model treats rough terrain as open terrain while advancing. While charging, slam power attacking, or trample power attacking, this model does not stop its movement when it contacts an obstacle.
Thoughts on Ghordson Earthbreaker
Ghordson Earthbreaker in a nutshell
The Earthbreaker is a range-focused colossal with no way to significantly augment its ranged damage output. It is taken for the knock down torpedoes that ignore cover and elevation. This is an excellent assassination threat and hit fixer against high DEF lights and heavies. However, with POW 13 on all its guns, it's going to struggle when presented with a lot of ARM 19 or higher, which is not at all unusual. Against slower, high ARM targets, and armies without pathfinder, it's better off using the difficult terrain torpedoes as a board control piece.
Combos & Synergies
- General Ossrum Snipe on a Colossal FTW! Putting Torpedoes over a foot away, or repeating cannons even further is just unfair. FFE also can help really knockdown that hard target as well.
- Durgen Madhammer is currently the best Earthbreaker caster because Field Mashall: Continuous Fire allows its blast weapons to take out blast-immune infantry, and Redline gives it melee and ranged threat extension along with a damage boost to melee.
- Ghorton Grundback Strength of Granite. For when you really, really, really want to crush everything in one sweep.
- Thor Steinhammer A Tuned Up medium AoE can kill a lot of things. Especially with Quake knockdowns.
- Master Gunner Dougal MacNaile has Artillerist for extra RAT. Same thing with Herne of Herne & Jonne.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- With all the terrain on the board in SR2017, its assassination threat is greatly diminished even with Snipe.
- None of its guns have a POW that exceeds the low teens.
- Although it has a very impressive STR, and two initial attacks, it's quite slow, so will be difficult to get into melee.
- It costs as much as two Ghordson Drillers and three Grundback Gunners or Grundback Blasters combined. It's hard to justify putting that many eggs in one basket or expecting it to do more work than that combination.
- There is, at present, no Rhulic caster than turns the Earthbreaker into a murder machine that justifies its high price point. It awaits a caster than unlocks whatever hidden potential it has.
Tricks & Tips
- Knock things down with the Quake then strafe the survivors with the guns.
- Don't neglect the difficult terrain effect.
Comparison to Mk2
In Mark 2 it was considered possibly the best warjack in the game - and little has changed about it. But back then jacks didn't get Power Up, the game was much more infantry heavy (meaning the pie plates mattered more), and Thor Steinhammer's Tune Up boosted all its damage rolls.
- Gained a point of STR
- Driller upgraded to From Beneath (Ignores cover, concealment and elevation instead of just elevation)
- Originally released in the Warmachine: Colossals expansion (2012).
How can I include this model in my army?
To include this mercenary warjack in your army, it must be controlled by one of the following Rhulic warcasters or marshals. Thus, to include this jack you first need to find a controller that works for your army.
Theme Forces this is a member of
For a Mercenary warjack to be taken in a Theme Force, not only does the 'jack have to meet the theme criteria but it's controller does too. With that in mind, Ghordson Earthbreaker can be taken in:
Other Mercenary models
Rules Clarification : Open Fist (aka, Power Attack Throw) (Edit)
- See the Throw article for a recap of the core Throw rules.
- When you make a Throw Power Attack, no other abilities of the Fist weapon (such as Chain Strike) are applied unless they specifically mention Throws.
- If you do a Power Attack Throw and you choose to throw the target directly away, no deviation is rolled to determine the final position of the model. (Locked thread)
- A model that cannot be targeted by melee attacks (such as Una2's feat) cannot have models thrown at them, either. (Infernal Ruling)
- Unresolved: Since throwing Model [A] at Model [B] involves making a melee attack vs Model [B] which is out of your melee range, it technically breaks a whole bunch of core rules. The Infernals are currently checking it.
Rules Clarification : Attack Type and/or Arcane Savant (Edit)
- If you forget to declare your Attack Type before rolling the attack, and you and your opponent can't agree on a fair fix, then the Judge's Policy is that the first listed Attack Type is the one that will be used.
Rules Clarification : Crater - None yet. (Edit)
Rules Clarification : Quake (Edit)
- If the weapon misses, then it will deviate and do blast damage as per a normal AOE (assuming it has a POW to begin with).
- Other effects of the attack will still occur (such as the Mitigator's auto-point of damage to all models hit).
- Knockdown (Edit) - Remember, knockdown only prevents what it says it does. Refer to the Knockdown page for a recap of what a model can/can't do.
Rules Clarification : Construct - None yet. (Edit)