The Driller is a massive monster of iron, steel, and hydraulics designed to withstand falling stone or mineshaft collapses while mining. It can shrug off terrible attacks while bringing home its own relentless assault. Its hydraulic claw can hold a target still long enough to bring a great rock drill to bear, boring holes through the toughest of armor and leaving behind nothing but scrap.
Weapons and Attacks
Grappler - 1" range, P+S 16 melee weapon.
Drill - 1" range, P+S 18 melee weapon.
- Sustained Attack - During this model's activation, when it makes an attack with this weapon against the last model hit by the weapon this activation, the attack automatically hits.
- Mercenary -
- Warjack - All warjacks share the same set of special rules. Most notably being big and stompy.
- Construct - This model is a construct and is not a living model.
- Sturdy - This model cannot be pushed.
Thoughts on Ghordson Driller
Ghordson Driller in a nutshell
The Driller is a super cheap heavy that gets the job done if you can get it there. It's cheap because it's painfully slow, but it can take a punch or two and it hits hard. Besides, Mercs love cheap stuff. The sustained attack on its drill saves Focus for boosting damage on subsequent hits, which is tremendous against Legion and Circle. Its slow speed means it usually won't get the alpha strike so should be used as a second wave piece unless you plan to give it up to start a piece trade. You may have to. They are best run in multiples as one will not normally be enough to do anything.
Combos & Synergies
Durgen Madhammer - Redline ups the Driller's threat range to 10", and gives you a POW 20 drill! Gorton Grundback - How does a POW 22 drill strike you? How about the ability to toss a heavy warjack 8"? General Ossrum - Feat and Energizer gives it a nasty 13" range. Definatly a surprise for the unwary.
Drawbacks and Downsides
- As the dwarves that build it, the Driller is sturdy but slow. Without a SPD buff it will have to take the brunt of a charge before retaliating.
- You can't miss it. Literally. Its DEF is so low, that you are officially allowed to laugh at your opponents model if they manage to miss this walking barn door. On the flip side, being immobilized is barely a disadvantage...
Tricks and Tactics
They gain Reposition 3" in Hammer Strike, which can be used to put them in inconvenient spots after they get done attacking, and also allows them to trample and Reposition 10" in a turn instead of running 8". With the extra 2" of deployment from the theme bonus, this is solid for a slow 'jack.
Theme Forces this is a member of