- 1 Basic Info
- 2 Thoughts on Ghordson Avalancher
- 3 Other
|See also How to Read the statblock|
- Assault Shield - 1" reach, P+S 15 melee weapon
- Shield - This 'weapon' is a shield that provides a cumulative +2 ARM bonus. The bonus doesn't apply if the weapon is crippled or if the damage originates in your back arc.
- Avalanche Cannon - 12" range, 4" AOE, POW 14 gun
- Warjack - All warjacks share the same set of special rules. Most notably being big and stompy.
- Rhulic Warjack - This warjack must be controlled by either a Rhulic warcaster or Rhulic Jack Marshal.
- Construct - This model is a construct and is not a living model.
- Shield Guard - When a friendly model within 3" is directly hit by a non-spray ranged attack, this model can be directly hit instead.
- Sturdy - This model cannot be pushed.
Thoughts on Ghordson Avalancher
Ghordson Avalancher in a nutshell
The Avalancher is the Rhulic ranged heavy. It's pretty durable, priced at a premium and simply dreadful in melee for a heavy. It's there to scare your opponent from putting anything in its range lest it be knocked down. On the downside, you're going to have to get something to the knocked down target and dwarves have threat range issues. It is generally considered a poor choice compared to three Gunners.
Combos & Synergies
- Durgen Madhammer makes it set the world on fire. It's one of his best choices for a jack.
- General Ossrum uses Snipe and Energizer to extend its threat range making it an assassination piece.
- Thor Steinhammer can jack marshall it and tune it up let it move forward, shoot and reposition back to him. Combined with Snipe, and the Marshal bonus this combination is still not worth a whopping 21 points.
- Gorten Grundback can make it passable in melee with Strength of Granite, but this will probably be on a Driller unless the Avalancher is all you have left.
Drawbacks and Downsides
- Really bad in melee
- Overpriced and competes with budget Gunners.
- While it has a decent range, it is still slow, leaving its threat range pretty moderate. Canny opponents will easily avoid it, and even if it does shoot, it's only a single shot per round.
Tricks and Tips
- With its ARM it can walk out of most combats safely then shoot. It will not get the shield bonus against the free strike, however.
Released in Warmachine: Superiority (2006)
Who can control this warjack
To include this mercenary warjack in your army, it must be controlled by one of the following Rhulic warcasters or marshals. Thus, to include this jack you first need to find a controller that works for your army.
|Rhulic 'Jack Controllers (Edit)|
|Warcasters||Durgen Madhammer - General Ossrum - Gorten Grundback|
Cannot take Colossals
Within mercenaries, this warjack can be used in:
Outside of mercenaries, you can include this warjack in any theme that allows at least one of the controllers listed above. At the time of writing (2017.10) the only such model is Thor Steinhammer.
Other Mercenary models