Rhulic warcaster General Ossrum Dhurg is an advocate of wild, non-traditional tactics. In battle he employs a range of bold, daring moves which have earned the admiration of both his troops and his peers. Held in high regard by his men, they have shared many great victories together due to his quick thinking and their unwavering belief in his mindset.
- 1 Basic Info
- 2 Thoughts on General Ossrum
- 3 Other
|See also How to Read the statblock|
- Hand Cannon - 12" range, POW 12 gun.
- Oathkeeper - 0.5" reach, P+S 13 melee weapon.
- Mercenary - will work for Cygnar, Khador and the Protectorate of Menoth.
- Warcaster - This model comes with a bunch of special rules, most notably being really awesome at everything.
- Rhulic Warcaster - This warcaster can control only Rhulic warjacks.
- Tactician [Rhulic] - While in this model's CMD range, friendly Rhulic models can ignore other friendly Rhulic models when determining LOS. Friendly Rhulic models can advance through other friendly Rhulic models in this model's CMD range if they have enough movement to move completely past them.
- Bullet Dodger - Cost 2, 6" range, Upkeep
- Faction model gains +2 DEF and Dodge. (Dodge - When an enemy misses this model with an attack at any time except when it is advancing, this model immediately advance 2" ignoring free strikes.)
- Energizer - COST 2, RNG SELF
Each model in the spellcaster's battlegroup that is currently in its control range can immediately advance up to 2". Energizer can be cast only once per activation.
- Fire for Effect - Upkeep spell which gives a target friendly faction model a boosted attack & damage roll on its first attack each activation.
- Snipe - Cost 2, 6" range, Upkeep
- Target model/unit's ranged weapons gain +4 RNG.
- Stranglehold - Cost 2, 10" range, POW 11
- If the target is damaged it must forfeit either its movement or its action next activation, as its controller chooses.
- Unstoppable Force - Cost 2
- While within the caster's CTRL range, the battlegroup gains Bulldoze. (Bulldoze - When this model is B2B with an enemy model during its Normal Movement, it can push that model up to 2" directly away from it. A model can be pushed by Bulldoze only once per activation. Bulldoze has no effect when this model makes a trample power attack.)
Feat : Perfect Plan
Friendly Rhulic models currently in Ossrum's CTRL range gain +3 ARM, +3 SPD, and Pathfinder.
Thoughts on General Ossrum
General Ossrum in a nutshell
Ossrum is considered by far the strongest of the Rhulic warcasters and arguably the best Mercenary caster overall due to his versatility and his ability to make great use of the highly efficient Driller, Gunner and Blaster warjacks. His feat and Energizer compensate for the slowness of dwarves, and Snipe provides additional threat extension few other Mercenary warcasters can provide. Fire For Effect gives affords him a strong ranged game as it can be placed on quite a few targets for excellent effect. The Siege Crawler, Herne and Jonne and the Horgenhold Artillery Corps are popular targets and a common tactic is to juggle this spell between two Artillery Corps to get two 4d6 POW 14 shots per turn.
Tactician, Energizer and Unstoppable force allow Ossrum to play a strong scenario game by bringing a lot of Gunners and Blasters that need no focus from him to be highly effective and benefit from both spells tremendously.
With his feat and his strong ranged game he can play for attrition and take a punch while playing a strong scenario game. The only thing he lacks is a damage buff but Mercenaries have options in that department.
Maximising his feat and spells
You can think of Ossrum's feat as two things: A speed buff and pathfinder, and an Armor buff. When you use it is when either of those things would be most useful. At the top of the 2nd round, when you are lining up to charge in, that extra speed can give you the alpha. At the bottom of the 2nd, that extra armor can save your troops a lot of pounding, letting you fight back next round.
- Bullet Dodger - Most of the time Ossrum does not have the focus to cast or upkeep this spell. It is a reasonable buff on Ossrum himself and can be useful on high DEF models like Skarath.
- Energizer - Extra speed out of Rhulic warjacks. Oh, yes. Everyone can benefit from this. Melee 'jacks like Driller, Basher and Rockram love it. Ranged 'jacks like the gun bunnies and Avalancher use it to get better lines of fire or to pull back from charging troops.
- Fire For Effect - While limited to just the first shot, it isn't limited to just warjacks. Which makes this a great spell to cast on something that is already doing excellent damage, like the Horgenhold Artillery Corps or Herne & Jonne. H&J especially benefit, as all three blasts get the boost.
- Snipe - This may or may not be cast depending on Ossrum's army build. If he runs an Earthbreaker, then it will have Snipe for the duration of the game. If he runs Gunner spam, he may instead focus on Unstoppable Force or Energizer and not cast it. Besides the Earthbreaker, Eiryss1 is a popular target allowing her to influence where the opposing caster gets to stand.
- Stranglehold - This allows for late game control of opposing heavies and colossals. It is infrequently cast, but useful when needed.
- Unstoppable Force - Another fantastic spell that opens up all sorts of tricks. Every warjack in your battlegroup gets a push. Open up charge lanes or lines of fire. Push enemy models in the way of each other. Break up units so they can't get orders or spells. Separate shield guards. Shove units together for sprays and blasts. The amount of utility in this spell can't be understated.
Typical Army & Strategy
Ossrum is the strongest gunline caster in Mercenaries, and certainly the most Rhulic-friendly. While he favors ranged combat, he can do combined arms fairly well thanks to Energizer.
He has two strategies for victory: soften up the enemy as they close in, then feat to take the alpha on the chin, or feat and steal the alpha strike himself with the speed boost. Drillers, for example, threat 13" on his feat turn with Energizer and will be very hard to remove on the following turn.
His primary win condition is attrition to assassination, especially if the Earthbreaker is used. If it knocks down the opposing caster they are likely to die, and it can do this from 21" away on his feat turn. A Gunner-heavy build would focus more on setting up odd assassination angles with Unstoppable Force pushes and a ton of boosted shots.
Models that the General commonly wants in his army:
- All of his abilities, from the feat to Tactician steer you into piling as much Rhulic stuff into the army as you can get away with.
- He needs a Snipe target and a Fire For Effect target. Snipe goes on a suitable target like the Ghordson Earthbreaker, Ghordson Avalancher, Wroughthammer Rockram, Eiryss1, or Cylena Raefyll & Nyss Hunters. Fire For Effect usually goes on the Siege Crawler, Herne & Jonne, or a Horgenhold Artillery Corps.
- You then have to decide if you want to juggle one of those spells or make use of Energizer. He can send Drillers flying 12" across the board with Energizer on the feat turn.
- He also speeds up Horgenhold Forge Guard and makes them quite sturdy.
- With Gunners and Blasters being self-sufficient, cheap and speedy with Energizer and the feat turn, he's spoiled for choice.Quite literally every Rhulic warjack is a viable choice, and you won't be able to get everything you'd like in the list
- Given his dependence on shooting, you will want Reinholdt for anti-stealth and Aiyana and Holt for magic weapon and an ARM debuff. Other non-Rhulic models you might consider but struggle to find room for are Eiryss1, Orin, Ragman, Kell, Alten Ashley, Nyss Hunters and Gobber Tinkers.
- Thor Steinhammer is almost obligatory.
- Some people spam anything up to a dozen Grundback Blasters - it's an interesting list but loses to heavy armour although is strong against a lot of things.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- Lack of Focus. With his spell list, you'll be wanting to cast and/or upkeep 3-4 spells a turn. He can't.
- Speed. This is something he can overcome with spells like Energizer and his feat. But most turns you'll be plodding.
- Support caster. He makes things around him better. When the army starts getting whittled away and his last warjacks fall apart, he's quickly picked off.
- Feat only affects Rhulic models.
- He can't cast all his upkeeps on turn 1.
- He is weak to LOS denial. Forest walls and clouds remove half his game. If the opponent can close and hit hard, you lose.
- Cygnar can run stronger gun lines, and the Protectorate will use the Choir to keep most of his shooting off their warjacks.
Tricks & Tips
- Bulldoze, tactician, energizer and creativity may occasionally win you games.
Comparison to Mk2
- Ossrum, one of the last 'casters to come out in mk2, is virtually unchanged in Mk3. He's still a solid toolbox caster.
- Marshal Discipline changed to Tactician (Rhulic) Only affects Rhulic models now but mostly unchanged
- Energizer stabilized at 2 focus and 2" advancement
- Feat: Perfect Plan buffed a point
- Originally released in the Warmachine: Colossals expansion (2012)
- Nicknames: General Awesome
How can I include this model?
Mercenaries are a bit more complicated than regular faction models, they can be taken in one of three different ways:
- This model can be included in a pure Mercenary army.
- This model can be included in the following Faction armies (requires a 2+ caster game):
- This model can be included in the following theme forces:
Other Mercenary models