A natural at hit-and-run tactics, the bitter, reckless Gastone Crosse prefers to strike from a distance, whether with his powerful mechanikal pistol Gypsy Kiss or the cannons of his warjacks. He lends his arcane power to extending the range of his battlegroup's arms, while each kill provides them with a burst of arcane speed.
Mercenary Llaelese Solo
Weapons and Attacks
- Soul Reaver - 12" range, POW 12 gun
- Damage Type: Magical - This weapon can damage incorporeal models.
- Reload  - This model can spend focus/fury tokens to make up to 1 additional ranged attacks with this weapon during its Combat Action. It can make one additional attack for each focus/fury token spent.
- Knife x2 - 0,5" range, P+S 8 melee weapons
- Mercenary - Will work for Cygnar and Menoth
- Battlegroup Controller - This model is like a mini-warcaster. It has a FOCUS stat, can buy/boost attacks, cast spells, and control warjacks. It must have at least one warjack in its battlegroup.
- Backstab - This model gains an additional die to hit and damage rolls when it attacks from the target's back arc.
- Dodge - When an enemy misses this model with an attack at any time except when it is advancing, this model immediately advance 2" ignoring free strikes.
- Fire Group - Battlegroup models in the caster's CTRL area gain a small RNG buff on their guns for one turn.
- Moving Shadows - Cost 2, Upkeep
- While in Gastone's control range, battlegroup models gain Run & Gun. (Run & Gun - If this model destroys an enemy with a ranged attack during its activation, at the end of its activation it can make a full advance.)
Thoughts on Gastone Crosse
Gastone Crosse in a nutshell
Gastone Crosse is the mercenary journeyman warcaster - a run and gun merchant who takes journeyman warjacks and makes them shoot better.
Combos & Synergies
The big question is which warjack to take with him. Fire Group suggests a Mule or Rover - but there's also a good case for a Talon or a Buccaneer as a really cheap warjack and letting Gastone be a super-solo with boostable guns while the jack gets trashed.
Some builds include him running a Galleon to benefit from Fire Group, generally under a caster that does not offer battlegroup buffs
Anotherjack that works we for him is the Vanguard (even with him losing scavenger). This jack can make use of its assault ability to get up, shoot and kill something then make a full advance right into the enemy lines to jam with its 2" reach weapon. Def 13 is ok but vs a charge he goes up to def 15 which may require a boost or some good luck to hit. Afterwards gastonne lets his jack get smashed and turns into the super solo running and gunning.
Drawbacks & Downsides
Like all non warcasters controlling jacks, he's squishy.
Despite having two knives, if he is stabbing things something has gone terribly wrong
He has very poor RAT, which effectively requires him to boost or aim to reliably hit even Khador jacks.
Tricks & Tips
No One runs jacks like Gastone!
Note to Editors
If you're looking for inspiration for content to add to this page, you can always copy-paste (& update as necessary) info from the old mk2 entry:
Mk2 Battle College: Gastone Crosse .
Comparison to Mk2
- He became cheaper but now needs a warjack.
- Lost Flank (Warjack)
- Gained Backstab
- Weapon renamed Soul Reaver and it gained Reload (1)
- Lost Scavenger (Vanguard)
In MKII, his pistol was known as 'Gypsy Kiss.' It's even still referred to by that name in the fluff. However, for whatever reason, PP has decided to rename it Soul Reaver on his MKIII stat card and in WarRoom.
Gun & Run was renamed Run & Gun for some reason, the former made far more sense.
Theme Forces this is a member of
Other faction models
| Mercenary - Faction models (Edit)
Rules Clarification : Magical Damage (Edit)
- The "Damage Type: Magical" is not inherited by "secondary" damage from a weapon such as arcs (Electro Leap) or hazards (Scather). (Infernal Ruling)
- All spells have "Damage Type: Magical" (refer latest errata).
- If a weapon/spell includes Magic Damage and another kind of elemental damage it can still damage Incorporeal models. They're not affected by the rule "if an attack does multiple types of damage and a model is immune to at least one it is immune to the entire attack.
The phrase "immune to non-magical damage" should be intrepreted as "immune to damage that doesn't include Damage Type: Magical" (not as "has immunity to Corrosion and Electricity and Cold and etc.")
Rules Clarification : Reload (Edit)
- You can use Reload to make additional attacks after a Special Ranged Attack. (Infernal Ruling)
- If you have (x2) of a weapon with Reload (such as Caine1), the special rule will only be written on the card once. But you can reload both weapons to the max limit. (Infernal Ruling)
Rules Clarification : Battlegroup Controller (Edit)
- This model has a completely separate battlegroup to your main warcaster.
- Your main warcaster cannot allocate focus to warjacks under this model's control (and vice versa).
- Any spells/effects that apply to your main warcaster's battlegroup (such as Energizer) do not apply to warjacks under this model's control (and vice versa).
- This model is not a warcaster
- It is affected by stuff which specifies "non-warcaster models" (such as Seduction).
- It is not affected by stuff which specifies "warcasters" (such as Black Arts).
- Warjacks this solo controls can still benefit from Power Up exactly as if it were a warcaster. (Closed thread)
- When this solo dies, any warjacks they are controlling go inert exactly as if it was a warcaster. (Infernal Ruling)
Rules Clarification : Backstab (Edit)
- Backstab always applies on a free strike, because free strikes are always in the back arc.
- Backstab applies to magic and ranged attacks, too.
- For a caster with Backstab that uses an arc node to attack their target: Backstab doesn't care about the point of origin of the attack, and does not interact with Arc Nodes at all.
- In other words, if your arc node is in the target's back arc & but the caster is not, then Backstab doesn't apply. And vice versa, if your arc node is in the front arc & you're in the back arc, then Backstab will apply.
- Models with Circular Vision aren't immune to Backstab. They still have a back arc, and backstabbers can stand in it.
- Steamroller objectives have facings, and can be backstabbed. (Infernal Ruling)
- Before the game starts you should discuss with your opponent the facing of the objective.
- In Steamroller 2017, objectives face towards the opposing deployment zone.
Rules Clarification : Dodge (Edit)
- Dodge triggers after any missed attack - melee, ranged, or magic.
- If you shoot at a model with Dodge that's in melee and miss, Dodge will trigger regardless of whether you then hit the random new target or not.
- The Dodge movement occurs after making the attack against the new target.
- An enemy model with 2" melee range that is B2B with you before you Dodge, will be exactly 2" away afterwards, and thus will be able to attempt a 2nd melee attack.
- If you're missed by an AOE attack, but it doesn't deviate very far and still hits you then: Dodge still triggers, but the AOE does damage before you get the Dodge movement. (Infernal Ruling)
- Dodge plus Riposte (Edit)
- If a model has both Dodge and Riposte, they are resolved at the same time. You get to choose which order to resolve them in.