Garryth, Blade of Retribution
Even among mage hunters Garryth is considered a fanatic. He sweeps across the battlefield like a storm, letting the death reaped by his pistols and their razor-sharp blades serve as prayers to the stricken goddess.
|Garryth, Blade of Retribution|
Weapons & Attacks
- Pistol x2 - 12" range, POW 12, ROF 1 ranged weapon
- Blade x2 - 0.5" reach, P+S 11 melee weapon
- Damage Type: Magical - This weapon can damage incorporeal models.
- Blessed - Attacks with this weapon ignore spells & animi that add to the target's DEF or ARM.
- Weapon Master - When attacking with this weapon, add an additional die to its damage rolls.
- Grievous Wounds - Models hit by this weapon lose tough and can't have damage removed for a round. Massive model are immune.
- Warcaster - This model comes with a bunch of special rules, most notably being really awesome at everything.
- Acrobatics - This model can advance through other models if it has enough movement to move completely past their bases. This model ignores intervening models when declaring its charge target.
- Parry - This model cannot be targeted by free strikes.
- Pathfinder - This model treats rough terrain as open terrain while advancing. While charging, slam power attacking, or trample power attacking, this model does not stop its movement when it contacts an obstacle.
- Stealth - Ranged and magic attacks targeting this model from a point of origin greater than 5˝ away automatically miss. This model is not an intervening model when determining line of sight from a model more than 5˝ away.
- Gallows - COST 3, Range 10", POW13
- When an enemy model is hit by this attack, it can be pushed d6" directly towards Gallows' point of origin.
- Heightened Reflexes - Prevents target nearby friendly Faction model or unit from becoming knocked down or stationary
- Mirage - COST 2, RNG 6", UPKEEP
- Target friendly Faction model/unit gains Apparition. (Apparition - This model may be placed a short distance from its current location during the Control Phase.)
- Psychic Vampire - COST 2, Range SELF upkeep. If an enemy model casts a spell while in the spellcaster's CTRL, it immediately takes one damage and this model heals one damage. If the enemy spellcaster is destroyed from the damage their spell does not take effect.
- Sentry - Friendly Faction model gains Rapid Fire. (Rapid Fire - This model can make one basic ranged attack during your Maintenance Phase.)
- Vortex Lock - Enemy models in his control range cannot cast or channel spells, spend focus or fury points, or be placed.
Analysis of Garryth, Blade of Retribution
Garryth, Blade of Retribution in a nutshell
Ultimately Garryth is an assassination caster whose abilities allow him to set up kills against most Warcasters and Warlocks. Between Acrobatics and the ability to give himself Apparition his threat range is not to be underestimated at 12.5". His feat also is an assassination tool as it prevents the use of both Warcaster's and Warlock's primary defense mechanism, camped focus and fury. Though he will often be waiting for an assassination attempt his spell list can also greatly help the other models of his army. Sentry can help increase the damage output of his ranged models. Where as Heightened Reflexes can increase the effectiveness of his infantry.
Common army selection
Drawbacks and Downsides
- Garryth can be focus hungry, unless he can get in a situation where the pull on Gallows is not needed to get to his target he will often get there with no focus left to spend on attacks.
- His Feat is weaker against Hordes as it still allows for the generation of Fury through Forcing meaning that warbeasts can still attack normally.
Tricks and Tactics
- Mirage can be cast on himself in preparation for a Gallows charge next turn.
- Mirage is exceptionally effective on Dawnguard Sentinels, helping them gain the alpha strike and opening up some interesting charge opportunities once they're locked in combat with the enemy.
- Sentry can be used on any model allowing high powered guns like Hyperion's cannon to be effectively shot twice in one turn. It is particularly efficient when cast on the Arcantrik Force Generator, which doesn't rely on spending focus, and whose 'momentum' ability can set up a play later in your turn.
- Parry and Acrobatics allows Garryth to charge through models freely in order to assassinate an opposing caster without the risk of free strikes.
- His feat prevents the opponents from being able to avoid his damage through spending a focus to block damage, and it prevents them from spending fury to transfer the damage as well. This effectively gives your entire army the equivalent of mkII Arcane Assassin for the turn, which is very dangerous for the opposing warcaster/warlock.
- Don't underestimate Garryth's guns! Combined with his feat, Garryth can quite easily end the average warcaster or warlock by himself with a very long threat range.
Changes from Mk II
- Increase to DEF
- Melee Weapons lost Arcane Assassin and gained Blessed
- Lost spell Death Sentence
- Gained Spells Heightened Reflexes & Sentry
- Spells Psychic Vampire and Mirage are cheaper
- Gained Acrobatics
- Feat was improved to affect Fury as well as Focus
Retribution of Scyrah Models
|Retibution of Scyrah - Mercenary/Minion models (Edit)|
|Units||Lady Aiyana & Master Holt|
|Solos||Dahlia Hallyr & Skarath - Lanyssa Ryssyl, Nyss Sorceress - Madelyn Corbeau, Ordic Courtesan|
|Retribution of Scyrah - Theme Forces (Edit)|
|Forges of War|