|This server will go offline in September 2018. Please migrate to our new server, Warmachine University|
|For more info on why we're moving to a new server, check out the Brief History section on the new main page, and/or listen to episode 45 of the LOS podcast|
| If you have made an edit within the last month or so, please check the new server and see if it was copied by the autobot. |
You may need to copy-paste your work to the new server manually. Sorry.
The raw might of a naval ironhull now walks the lands as the Galleon. The colossal fires a rolling broadside before reaching out with its enormous cargo claw to toss warjacks like rag dolls. It can also use its massive trident to reel in foes and finish them off at close range with a series of punishing blows. The Galleon commands a high price, but for those mercenaries who have the fortune to spend, it fights as a symbol of unquestionable affluence and might.
|See also How to Read the statblock|
- Trident Strike - 2" reach, P+S 22 melee weapon
- Cargo Claw - 2" reach, P+S 20 melee weapon
- Gun port (x2) - 14" range, ROF d3, 3" AOE, POW 13 guns
- Harpoon Cannon - 10" range, POW 15 gun
- Drag - When this weapon damages an enemy model with an equal or smaller base, immediately after the attack is resolved the damaged model can be pushed directly toward this model until it contacts a model, an obstacle, or an obstruction. After the damaged model is moved, this model can make one basic melee attack against the damaged model. After resolving this melee attack, this model can make additional melee attacks during its combat action.
- Warjack - All warjacks share the same set of special rules. Most notably being big and stompy.
- Colossal - Colossals are giant warjacks, even bigger and stompier. They all share a stack of standard special rules.
- Construct - This model is a construct and is not a living model.
- Pathfinder - This model treats rough terrain as open terrain while advancing. While charging, slam power attacking, or trample power attacking, this model does not stop its movement when it contacts an obstacle.
Thoughts on Galleon
Galleon in a nutshell
The Galleon is among the better colossals in the game, and probably the best overall when run by Bart. It's dangerous to everything and has above average ranged output for a colossal. On most turns, its combat action should consist of firing the Gun Ports, then using the Harpoon Gun to drag in a heavy and stabbing it with the Harpoon melee weapon.
Combos & Synergies
- Captain Bartolo Montador turns the Galleon into the single most powerful model in the game. Batten Down the Hatches and his feat make the Galleon a very tough out for a lot of armies. Hot Shot boosts every single ranged attack damage roll it makes, while Broadside gives a free ranged attack, which can catch opponents off guard if you run the Galleon and cast this spell.
- Drake MacBain can use Fail Safe to make it hard to kill and Jackhammer for smashing things after a Drag. There is no better target for these spells than the Galleon. Fortune is always fun for making sure attacks hit as well, though usually you'll have Fail Safe on the Galleon.
- Magnus the Traitor can make it tough to disable systems with Death Ward, while Iron Aggression makes it even more of a beast in Melee. Or he can just add Snipe to give it that much more reach with its ranged attacks.
- Captain Phinneus Shae can use Phantasm to make enemies have to draw close to shoot it, then Coup De Main to give it that extra charge range to get into melee.
- Ashlynn D'Elyse's feat makes the Galleon accurate, which if paired with Crosse's Fire Group spell, Dougal's Double Powder Ration and Quicken gives her an assassination threat that could catch somebody off guard.
- Possibly the only mercenary jack you will look for with Caine3. Calamity is an universal damage booster, but sadly, most of the time you'll have to rely on Caine and his unit members to get the +3 bonus from Reap the Whirlwind. Caine3 runs a Galleon due to a lack of better options rather than because it is good with him.
- Gastone Crosse can give the Galleon a bonus to RNG for a round with Fire Group. Pair this with Snipe or Quicken for possible assassinations.
- Master Gunner Dougal MacNaile has Artillerist for extra RAT and Double Powder Ration for extra RNG for one round.
- Ragman can stay close to the Galleon and use Death Field to weaken all opponents in its melee range.
- Orin Midwinter keeps it safe from incoming debuff spells.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- It's 2 or 3 points too expensive.
- It has low MAT and RAT, which means it gets less done under Macbain or Magnus1 than you'd like since you'll be boosting to hit.
Tricks & Tips
- Galleon throws models 8.5". If your opponent has left a model within 8.5" of their caster that Galleon can reach with a directly-away throw (review your throw rules), you should look for the knockdown assassination, especially if you can have Bart cast Broadsides to drag the caster in after the throw.
- Many players make the mistake of running the Galleon with a caster that does not give it a powerful effect. A Galleon with only 3 focus and nothing else to zazz it up is not a strong use of 39 points.
- In MKII Warmachine, the Galleon (and other colossals) were frequently the first (and only) player choice over the equivalent point value of warjacks. Now, the increased warjack points and Power Up rule in MKIII make non-colossal warjacks arguably more useful.
- Originally released in the Warmachine: Colossals expansion (2012).
- The Galleons were commissioned by Bart, but Magnus bought them out from under him while swinging a deal to contract Bart to assist with his plans to take Fellig and mount an offensive against Cygnar. Magnus used the Galleon to end to the Second Cygnaran Civil War in the final battle using it to defeat Stryker and nearly kill Leto had Caine not intervened.
Who can take this warjack
To include this mercenary warjack in your army, it must be controlled by one of the following warcasters or marshals. Thus, to include this jack you first need to find a controller that works for your army.
Note: The Vanguard and Toro could also be controlled by a Crucible Guard battlegroup controller.
|Mercenary 'Jack Controllers (Edit)|
|Warcasters||Ashlynn - Caine3 - Captain Bart - Captain Damiano - Gastone2 - Captain Shae - Macbain - Constance - Fiona - Magnus1 - Magnus2|
|Marshals||Colbie Sterling - Dirty Meg - Raluk Moorclaw - Rutger Shaw - Sam & the Devil Dogs|
Within mercenaries, this colossal can be used in:
- The Kingmaker's Army - (Article) (Category)
- The Irregulars - (Article) (Category)
- The Talion Charter - (Article) (Category)
- Llaelese Resistance - (Article) (Category)
Outside of mercenaries, this colossal can only be taken by a Merc warcaster or Battlegroup Controller (never Jack Marshals) that works in that theme. At the time of writing (2017.10), the only model that fills this criteria is Crosse1.
Other Mercenary models
| Ranged Attack Damage (Drag and Catch only)
The Free Melee Attack(s) (Drag and Catch only)