Based on the Ironclad chassis and heavily modified by Sancteum armorers, Gallant is a walking instrument of righteous battle and the favored warjack of the warcaster Constance Blaize. In combat Gallant wields the mighty blade Lasting Light to strike down the enemies of Morrow as dictated by the Prayers for Battle, the holy catechism mounted onto its hull.
- 1 Basic Info
- 2 Thoughts on Gallant
- 3 Other
|ARM|| 18 / 19|
|(★) 19 when you include the buckler|
|See also How to Read the statblock|
Weapons and Attacks
- Lasting Light - 2" reach, P+S 18 melee weapon.
- Open Fist - 1" reach, P+S 14 melee weapon.
- Warjack - All warjacks share the same set of special rules. Most notably being big and stompy.
- Construct - This model is a construct and is not a living model.
- Animosity (Thamarite or Undead) - This model can't be included in the same army as Thamarite or Undead.
- Mercenary - This model will work for Cygnar.
- Partisan (Cygnar) - When included in a Cygnar army, this model/unit is a Cygnar model/unit instead of a Mercenary model/unit.
- Bond: (Constance) - If this model begins the game in Constance's battlegroup, it is bonded to them. This model is not considered to be bonded while under your opponent's control. While this model is bonded to Constance and in their CTRL range, it gains Shield Guard. (Shield Guard - When a friendly model within 3" is hit by a non-spray ranged attack, this model can be hit instead.)
- Accumulator [Morrowan] - This model gains a focus when it activates near a friendly Morrowan.
- Sacred Ward - This model can't be targeted by enemy spells.
Thoughts on Gallant
Gallant in a nutshell
Gallant is an elite Nomad with his battle blade upgraded to magic. A perfectly decent weapon for heavy on heavy combat. Costing half as much again as a Nomad, Gallant has an accumulator, sacred ward, and a sword that will cut through magical defences. Possibly not the first warjack people pick, Gallant is an interesting and competitive tech piece who is a hard to hit Nomad if you don't get work out of Purgation, and terrifyingly dangerous when you do.
For Cygnar players, he's an Ironclad with an extra point of DEF, longer reach and a buckler (plus the special rules).
Combos & Synergies
- Harlan Versh, Illuminated One is worthwhile in his own right and charges that accumulator
- Precursor Knights are good at charging the accumulator
- Constance Blaize, Knight of the Prophet really likes her warjack
- Magnus the Warlord gives it Unyielding, making it tougher, and Bullet Dodger makes him really hard to hit.
- Captain Allister Caine, Captain Jeremiah Kraye and Captain Allison Jakes can give Gallant DEF 15 thanks to Bullet Dodger. Dodge is a handy benefit, too.
- Major Prime Victoria Haley can achieve the same thanks to Temporal Distortion.
- Putting him in Lieutenant Allison Jakes' battlegroup and putting Sidekick on it pushes his DEF to an impressive 15.
- This can also be combined with Temporal Distortion under Haley3 for a ninja-like DEF 17.
- With Harlan Versh present to activate Accumulator, she can upkeep Sidekick, allocate Gallant one focus and still have enough to push Gallant forward with Energizer while ensuring that it is sitting on 3 focus when it activates.
- Just make sure you place Harlan within 3" of where Gallant will end his move from Energizer.
Drawbacks and Downsides
- Expensive for a heavy warjack.
- If you don't see upkeeps on jacks or beasts you have an overpriced Nomad.
- For Cygnar players, he's in the same price bracket as the Stormclad and Ol' Rowdy. One of the main reasons to opt for Gallant is that it is slightly cheaper, as is Harlan Versh, meaning the cheapest Gallant package is 2pts cheaper than the cheapest Stormclad package (the Stormclad and the Stormblade Captain).
Tricks and Tips
- Gallant has above average def for a heavy jack. Getting any def buff for him bumps him into "very hard to hit" territory, especially considering they then need to contend with his high arm value.
Notable Changes from Mk2
- Purgation is now one of Gallant's abilities by default instead of being his bond benefit from Constance Blaize. The Shield Guard was swapped to being his bond benefit instead.
- Slightly Cheaper
- Lasting Light gained a point of POW
- Gained Partisan (Cygnar)
- Originally released in the Warmachine: Wrath expansion (2011)
How can I include this model in my army?
Unlike all other mercenary warjacks, Gallant can't be taken in faction forces willy-nilly.
- He can be taken in a Cygnar force, in which case he is a Cygnar jack and must be controlled by a Cygnar controller.
- He can be taken in a pure Mercenary force, in which case he is a Mercenary jack and must be be controlled by one of the Mercenary controllers listed below.
- He cannot be taken under a Mercenary controller in a non-mercenary force, even if the controller will work for that other faction.
To include this mercenary warjack in your army, it must be controlled by one of the following warcasters or marshals. Thus, to include this jack you first need to find a controller that works for your army.
|Mercenary 'Jack Controllers (Edit)|
|Warcasters||Ashlynn - Caine3 - Captain Bart - Captain Damiano - Captain Shae - Macbain - Constance - Fiona - Magnus1 - Magnus2|
|Marshals||Colbie Sterling - Dirty Meg - Raluk Moorclaw - Rutger Shaw - Sam & the Devil Dogs|
For a Mercenary warjack to be taken in a Theme Force, not only does the 'jack have to meet the theme criteria but it's controller does too. With that in mind, Gallant can be taken in:
- Storm Division (Cygnar Theme), but only if taken in Blaize's battlegroup.
- Heavy Metal, but only if taken in Blaize's battlegroup.
- Sons of the Tempest, but only if taken in Blaize's battlegroup.
Other Faction models
Since this model is a partisan, we have omitted displaying the indices (because it'd take up half the page to display everything that is in two full factions). Refer the links instead:
Rules Clarification : Gallant