Freebooters barrel across heaving decks to obliterate anything in their path. A favorite of sea captains everywhere, the Freebooter has undergone a number of mechanical alterations to turn this former labourjack to military use, and it takes to brawling with frightening enthusiasm. Many crews graft a jury-rigged arcane turbine to the engine that allows warcasters to shred a few gears for a quick surge of speed."
- 1 Basic Info
- 2 Thoughts on Freebooter
- 3 Other
Weapons and Attacks
- Clamp (x2) - 1" range, P+S 14 melee weapon.
- Open Fist - This warjack/warbeast may make Throw Power Attacks.
- Trash - This weapon gets an additional damage die vs knocked down models.
- Chain Attack Grab & Smash - If this model hits the same model with both its initial attacks with this weapon,after resolving the attacks it can immediately make a head-butt or throwpower attack against that target.
- Warjack - All warjacks share the same set of special rules. Most notably being big and stompy.
- Construct - This model is a construct and is not a living model.
- Jury-Rigged (SPD) - At the start of this models activation it can gain a bonus to SPD but suffers damage to its Movement system at the end of its activation. It can't use this ability if its Movement system is crippled.
- Lash - This model, and friendly warrior models b2b with it cannot be knocked down.
- Amphibious - This model treats shallow water as open terrain while advancing. While completely in shallow water, this model gains concealment and does not block line of sight.
Thoughts on Freebooter
Note to Editors
Freebooter in a nutshell
Freebooters are full of neat tricks and quite capable of wrecking shop against things that can be knocked down. The ability to charge and throw thanks to Chain Attack: Grab and Smash is exceptionally powerful. For its bargain price it can do incredible things.
Combos & Synergies
- Anything that causes Knockdown turns the Freebooter into a heavy hitter since it can get extra dice on its initial attacks
- Captain Phinneus Shae makes it even faster. He also makes it charge for free which is absolutely awesome if you are using it with a 'Jack Marshal as this enables it to charge and use the Crush drive for decent damage and an extra attack.
- Magnus the Warlord makes it faster with Escort for a 13" threat range, and Unyielding works pretty well with its low low cost.
- Lash has its uses when paired with tough models
- The Freebooter works really well as a marshalled jack in The Irregulars as Flank (and frequently the Crush drive) lets it hit like a "real" heavy warjack.
Drawbacks and Downsides
- The Freebooter is a bit fragile for a heavy warjack with its lower ARM.
- Sturdy and Serpentine models aren't much fun for the Freebooter. Throw them at the opposing caster.
Tricks and Tips
- Remember that only the final point of damage on the movement system matters. If you don't Jury Rig on turn 1 you'll almost certainly last the game before it trashes itself.
- Run multiple Freebooters. Charge with the first one and use the chain attack to throw the target heavy back towards your other Freebooters and on down the line if necessary.
- Chain Attack: Grab and Smash is one of the few ways to throw friendly models.
- If you want freebooters on the cheap, the The Undercity boardgame contains two plastic ones. These are officially not tournament legal but when painted are indistinguishable except by weight and bendiness.
How can I include this model in my army?
To include this mercenary warjack in your army, it must be controlled by one of the following warcasters or marshals. Thus, to include this jack you first need to find a controller that works for your army.
|Mercenary 'Jack Controllers (Edit)|
|Warcasters||Ashlynn - Caine3 - Captain Bart - Captain Damiano - Gastone2 - Captain Shae - Macbain - Constance - Fiona - Magnus1 - Magnus2|
|Marshals||Colbie Sterling - Dirty Meg - Raluk Moorclaw - Rutger Shaw - Sam & the Devil Dogs|
Theme Forces this is a member of
For a Mercenary warjack to be taken in a Theme Force, not only does the 'jack have to meet the theme criteria but it's controller does too. With that in mind, Freebooter can be taken in:
- The Kingmaker's Army - (Article) (Category)
- The Thornfall Alliance - (Article) (Category) (but only if controlled by Raluk Moorclaw)
- The Irregulars - (Article) (Category)
Other Mercenary models