Forward Kommander Sorscha
Forward Kommander Sorscha
Sorscha's patriotism still drives here, but it is increasingly eclipsed by the darkness growing in her heart. She does not care why the Motherland asks her to fight, only that she can find a few moments of peace in the clarity of action.
- 1 Basic Info
- 2 Thoughts on Forward Kommander Sorscha
- 3 Other
|See also How to Read the statblock|
Weapons and Attacks
- Quad-Iron - 10" range, ROF d3+1, POW 10 gun.
- Frostfang - 2" reach, P+S 13 melee weapon.
- Warcaster - All warcasters come with a stack of standard special rules - most notably being awesome.
- Immunity: Cold - This model does not suffer cold damage.
- Desperate Pace [Winter Guard] (★ Action) - Target Winter Guard unit. If it is in CMD range, it gains +2" movement during their Normal Movement this turn.
- Freezer - An enemy model that ends its activation within 2" of this model becomes stationary unless it has Cold Immunity.
Feat : Winter's Chill
When an enemy model without Immunity: Cold suffers a damage roll while in Sorscha's control range, double the damage that exceeds their ARM. Winter's Chill lasts for one turn.
- Boundless Charge - Cost 2, 6" range
- Target friendly Faction model can charge for free and gains +2" movement and Pathfinder when it charges for one turn.
- Cyclone - Cost 2
- The casters make a full advance, ignoring free strikes, then a simultaneous basic melee attack against every model within their reach and LOS. Can only be cast once per turn.
- Iron Flesh - COST 2, Range 6", Upkeep
- Affected warrior model/unit gains +2 ARM and immunity to blast damage.
- Razor Wind - Cost 2, 10" range, POW 12
- This spell has no special effects.
- Shatter Storm - Cost 2, 6" range, Upkeep
- Target model/unit gains Detonator. (Detonator - When a model with Detonator directly hits and boxes an enemy with a melee or ranged attack, centre a 3" AOE on the hit model and RFP it. Models in the AOE suffer a POW 8 magical damage roll.)
Thoughts on Forward Kommander Sorscha
Forward Kommander Sorscha in a nutshell
Like her previous version, Forward Kommander Sorscha has a very potent assassination run, but she is now more leaned toward support and damage boosting with her feat. She also lost most of her board controlling tools, but instead, gained a massive boost to her personal combat abilities. However in practice, a lot of the things that Sorscha2 does well are high risk/high reward, which makes her a lot trickier to use, especially without any board control spells.
- Boundless Charge: a versatile support spell, either for personal use, or for jacks/solos to boost their threat range.
- Iron Flesh: her second support spell, which can boost Khador's already well-armoured models to absurd levels. Iron Fang Uhlans in B2B surpass the ARM of a Juggernaut. Shield walled Man-o-War_Shocktroopers are now walking Demolishers in terms of ARM, and still immune to knockdown, if you spared points on their UA. Averagely protected, single-wound units, like Assault Kommandos or Iron Fang Pikemen will become surprisingly resistant to frontal assaults under this spell. Special mention to Black Dragons; between Shield Wall, their minifeat and IF, there are few guns, that can crack their ARM. Even without Shield-wall, Iron Zeal and Iron Flesh allows you to run up early, and form a solid brick mid-field.
- Cyclone: It is Wind Rush, combined with Thresher and Parry. Use both offensively in an assassination run, or defensively, to fall back from an unwanted engagement.
- Razor Wind: her only offensive spell; and her only way to deal with Incorporeal models at range. You'll probably rarely have the focus for it.
- Shatter Storm: The step-brother of Explosivo, this one affects melee attacks too. Keep that one on ranged models, preferably with multiple attacks. Casting it on a close combat unit can be tricky, as anything without a RNG 2 melee weapon are at risk of getting hurt by the AOE. Girded troops, or warjacks don't have to worry about that, of course, but they are rarely a good recipients of this spell. If you happen to cast it onto a model with Tresher (Yuri, or Beast-09) though, they can clear clustered infantries like few other.
An ideal feat for both defensive and offensive use - imagine Rhyas' critical weapon ability on your entire army. Of course, it will be of any use on targets with multiple hit boxes, like heavy infantry, cavalry or jacks/beasts. Targets have to be within Sorscha's CRTL radius (based on her current position), and thus, you can easily end up with her in dangerous positions for counter-punches. If you need to put her Quad Iron, or Frostfang to use, Cyclone can still lets you to advance back to a safer spot. As in the case of other feats like that, don't get too greedy. You might "only" have the opportunity to knock out 1 or 2 heavies in a turn, but it might just be enough to help you win the war of attrition. The feat works best with units that already do moderate damage. It doesn't work with sniper damage.
For beginners it is all too tempting to go for assassinations, and use your feat to cause silly amounts of damage onto an enemy warlock/warcaster - preferably by Sorcha herself. Don't get me wrong - if the enemy leaves that door open for you, go for it. However, it is much more likely that you'll win on attrition. Detonator allows you to counter many recursive mechanisms, based on corpse gathering or collecting souls from friends, foes or machines. Iron Flesh keeps your troops on the field for a bit longer, while Winter's Chill allows you "cheap" piece trades, allowing you to punch out heavies with much fewer resources it would normally needed.
- Winter Guard Infantry is a no-brainer with her. Desperate pace can boost their charge range, or let them pick up a good spot for CRA. Under her feat, even two-men CRA from a full unit can be absolutely devastating, dealing an average of 30 damage against an ARM 18 target. They are also good target for Shatter Storm, if you do not need Iron Flesh on them.
- To further emphasise the Winter Guard theme, both the Winter Guard Field Gun Crew and Winter Guard Mortar Crew get a lot of mileage out of her feat. The latter can threaten low-arm warcasters / warlocks with its improved blast damage, while the former can knock targets down for the Winter Guard Rocketeers to tear them apart with their Brutal Damage rockets.
- While Desperate Pace only affects winter guard, they are not the best beneficiaries for Sorscha's spells or feat. Her feat in particular works well with pretty much every unit, even Mercenary units.
Sorscha can buff her army, or release a remarkable amount of attacks with her quad-iron, or Frostfang. That means, she'll have few focus to run a lot of warjacks, even with power-up. A few, trusted piece is still favourable in her list:
- Beast-09 has a nice affinity to her, and an intercepted shot can trigger Hyper Aggressive movement.
- Behemoth under her feat deals an impressive amount of damage at range with its dual Bombard cannons. The damage goes from impressive to absurd with its fists - perfectly capable of gutting a Colossal/Gargantuan, or 2 heavy jack / beast at once.
- Spriggan and Torch are both ideal for removing Stealth and expose usually squishy targets for your army. Victor can do the same with its Flare ammunition, though the shot will be much more inaccurate.
The new Greylord Forge Seer also has a lot of good synergy with Sorscha. Can run a jack for her as well empower it with focus and blessed magical weapons, making sure that warjack can take the best advantage of Sorscha's very powerful feat.
Drawbacks, Downsides, & Bad Match-Ups
- The drawbacks of her prime version: she's fragile, and short on focus to do everything she's capable of. Even though she can deal an impressive amount of damage on her own, don't let her be exposed to retaliation, knockdowns or boostable blast damage.
- Feat is worthless against single wound targets and models with Cold Immunity.
- Freezer can save you only if the enemy ended its activation within 2" of you - and that usually happens after a failed assassination.
- Shatter is largely useless since Sorscha2 has no reliable way to actually make units stationary.
- Strongly contested by Butcher1: his support for battlegroup and his army are usually more useful, and on feat turn the damage output of his army lag only slightly behind Sorcha's.
- On her feat turn, she can make Behemoth punch out 76+ damage to anything armor 25 or lower with average rolls, which will instantly kill anything in the game. Keep in mind however that Behemoth already could punch out anything that wasn't a colossal in a single round. Butcher1 can get Behemoth to punch 70 damage on his feat turn, which is also more than enough to kill anything.
Tricks & Tips
- According to the current wording, the feat happens, before the power field reinforcement, so the target can decrease only after the damage has been doubled. Warlocks also have to transfer the increased damage.
- With Cyclone you have the possibility to hurt your own troops, if you wish to do so. Situational, but if your infantry screen became stationary, and hinders your assassination run, then cast Cyclone, punch the blocking model out of existence, and there you have a free charge lane.
- Originally released in Warmachine: Apotheosis (2005)
Themes for any-and-all casters (Edit)
- Winter Guard Kommand - (Article) (Category)
- Jaws of the Wolf - (Article) (Category)
- Legion of Steel - (Article) (Category)
- Armored Korps - (Article) (Category)
- Wolves of Winter (Article) (Category)
Other faction models
| * The "Damage Type: Magical" is not inherited by "secondary" damage from a weapon. That is, stuff like arcs (Electro Leap) or hazards (Scather). (Infernal Ruling)
| Resolving the attack|
Under this heading, the word "Thresher" is used interchangeably for "Flashing Blade" and "Cyclone" too
Flashing Blade only