Forward Kommander Sorscha
Sorscha's patriotism still drives here, but it is increasingly eclipsed by the darkness growing in her heart. She does not care why the Motherland asks her to fight, only that she can find a few moments of peace in the clarity of action.
- 1 Basic Info
- 2 Thoughts on Forward Kommander Sorscha
- 3 Other
Weapons and Attacks
- Quad-Iron - Average range, d3+1 shots, average POW ranged weapon.
- Frostfang - Long reach, average P+S melee weapon.
- Warcaster - This model comes with a bunch of special rules, most notably being really awesome at everything.
- Cold Immunity - This model does not suffer cold damage.
- Desperate Pace (Winter Guard) (★ Action) - Target Winter Guard unit gains extra movement this turn.
- Freezer - An enemy model that ends its activation near this model becomes stationary unless it has Cold Immunity.
Feat : Winter's Chill
When an enemy suffers damage in CTRL, double the damage that exceeds their ARM unless they have Cold Immunity.
- Boundless Charge - Low cost, low range spell. Friendly Faction model gains increased charge range, Pathfinder, and can charge for free.
- Cyclone - Spell that lets the caster make a full advance then a simultaneous melee attack against every model within reach.
- Iron Flesh - Cheap upkeep spell that grants a bonus to ARM and immunity to blast damage.
- Razor Wind - Low cost, long range offensive spell with average POW.
- Shatter Storm - Upkeep which gives a model/unit Detonator. (Detonator - Center a small AoE on models boxed by an attack from this model.)
Thoughts on Forward Kommander Sorscha
Comparison to Mk2
- Lost Elite Cadre: Winter Guard
- Lost Freezing Grip
- Lost her warjack bond, but gained Freezer on herself
- Quad Iron lost Multi-fire, but gained higher ROF
- Gained Shatter on Frostfang
With the absence of Freezing grip she lost some of her board control abilities, but in general she remained unchanged. Freezing Grip's absence also makes it harder to activate Shatter.
Forward Kommander Sorscha in a nutshell
Like her previous version, Forward Kommander Sorscha has a very potent assassination run, but she is now more leaned toward support and damage boosting with her feat. She also lost most of her board controlling tools, but instead, gained a massive boost to her personal combat abilities.
Second Opinion: Sorscha2 feat enables her to hit a lot harder than Sorscha1, and she still has the spells needed to make a long range assassination attempt. However in practice, a lot of the things that Sorscha2 does well are high risk/high reward, which makes her a lot trickier to use, especially without any board control spells. On her feat turn, she can make Behemoth punch out 76+ damage to anything armor 25 or lower with average rolls, which will instantly kill anything in the game. Keep in mind however that Behemoth already could punch out anything that wasn't a colossal in a single round. Also Consider that Butcher1 can get Behemoth to punch 70 damage on his feat turn, which is also more than enough to kill anything.
Thoughts on when & how to best use her feat and spells
- Boundless Charge: a versatile support spell, either for personal use, or for a jack or solo to boost its threat range.
- Iron Flesh: her second support spell, which can boost Khador's already well-armoured models to absurd levels. Iron Fang Uhlans in B2B surpass the ARM of a Juggernaut. Shield walled Man-o-War_Shocktroopers are now walking Demolishers in terms of ARM, and still immune to knockdown, if you spared points on their UA. Averagely protected, single-wound units, like Assault Kommandos or Iron Fang Pikemen will become surprisingly resistant to frontal assaults under this spell. Special mention to Black Dragons; between Shield Wall, their minifeat and IF, there are few guns, that can crack their ARM. Even without Shield-wall, Iron Zeal and Iron Flesh allows you to run up early, and for a solid brick mid-field.
- Cyclone: Wind Rush, combined with Flashing Blade and Parry. Use both offensively in an assassination run, or defensively, to fall back from an unwanted engagement.
- Razor Wind: her only offensive spell; and her only way to deal with Incorporeal models at range. You'll probably rarely have the focus for it.
- Shatter Storm: keep that one on ranged models, preferably with multiple attacks. Casting it on a close combat unit can be tricky, as anything without a RNG 2 melee weapon are at risk of getting hurt by the AOE. Girded troops, or warjacks don't have to worry about that, of course, but they are rarely a good recipients of this spell. If you happen to cast it onto a model with Tresher (Yuri, or Beast-09) though, they can clear clustered infantries like few other.
An ideal feat for both defensive and offensive use - imagine Rhyas' critical weapon ability on your entire army. The only limiting factor is that targets have to be within Sorscha's CRTL radius, and thus, you want her to be in the frontline to make the most out of it. If you feel too close to the enemy, a Cyclone can still lets you to advance back to a safer spot. The feat's radius is based on her current position though, so you can't really go too far back with her once you pop it.
Note: The feat works best with units that already do moderate damage. It also doesn't work with sniper damage.
Typical Army & Strategy
- Winter Guard Infantry is a no-brainer with her. Desperate pace can boost their charge range, or let them pick up a good spot for CRA. Under her feat, even two-men CRA from a full unit can be absolutely devastating, dealing an average of 30 damage against an ARM 18 target. They are also good target for Shatter Storm, if you do not need Iron Flesh on them.
- To further emphasise the Winter Guard theme, both the Winter Guard Field Gun Crew and Winter Guard Mortar Crew get a lot of mileage out of her feat. The latter can threaten low-arm warcasters / warlocks with its improved blast damage, while the former can knock targets down for the Winter Guard Rocketeers to tear them apart with their Brutal Damage rockets.
- While Desperate Pace only affects winter guard, they are not the best beneficiaries for Sorscha's spells or feat. Her feat in particular works well with pretty much every unit, even Mercenary units.
Sorscha can buff her army, or release a remarkable amount of attacks with her quad-iron, or Frostfang. That means, she'll have few focus to run a lot of warjacks, even with power-up. A few, trusted piece is still favourable in her list:
- Beast-09 has a nice affinity to her, and an intercepted shot can trigger Hyper Aggressive movement.
- Behemoth under her feat deals an impressive amount of damage at range with its dual Bombard cannons. The damage goes from impressive to absurd with its fists - perfectly capable of gutting a Colossal/Gargantuan, or 2 heavy jack / beast at once.
- Spriggan and Torch are both ideal for removing Stealth and expose usually squishy targets for your army. Victor can do the same with its Flare ammunition, though the shot will be much more inaccurate.
Drawbacks, Downsides, & Bad Match-Ups
- She's fragile. Even though she can deal an impressive amount of damage on her own, don't let her be exposed to retaliation, knockdowns or boostable blast damage.
- Feat is worthless against models with Cold Immunity.
- Still short on focus to do everything she is capable of.
- Freezer can save you only if the enemy ended its activation within 2" of you - and that usually happens after a failed assassination.
- Shatter is largely useless since Sorscha2 has no reliable way to actually make units stationary.
- Outside of her feat turn, she is mediocre at best at whatever you want to do with her. Butcher1 generally speaking, does every Sorscha2 does, but better. Sorscha2's only real advantage is a bit of speed and the ability to outdamage him on feat turn, but at a point where both are generally at overkill levels.
Tricks & Tips
- According to the current wording, the feat happens, before the power field reinforcement, so the target can decrease only after the damage has been doubled.
- With Cyclone you have the possibility to hurt your own troops, if you wish to do so. Situational, but if your infantry screen became stationary, and hinders your assassination run, then cast Cyclone, punch the blocking model out of existence, and there you have a free charge lane.
- Cast Iron Flesh on a Winter Guard blob with Kovnik Jozef Grigorovich, and enjoy the Courage of our Forefathers' Tough bonus without knockdown.
- Originally released in Warmachine: Apotheosis (2005)
Theme Forces this is a member of
- None yet
Other faction models