| If you have made an edit within the last month or so, please check the new server and see if it was copied by the autobot. |
You may need to copy-paste your work to the new server manually. Sorry.
Fane Knight Guardian
Retribution Fane Knight Solo (Attached)
Fane Knight Guardians swear oaths to protect Scyrah, her fane, and her priesthood. These knights served the ailing goddess well before the Retribution came to prominence and have joined the cause to see the goddess and the Iosan people restored. These guardians regard several of the most pious warcasters of the Retribution as champions of Scyrah, defending them as if they were extensions of the goddess. While formidable protectors, it is their devotion that lends to their tenacity and gives them strength to fight against overwhelming enemy force.
|Fane Knight Guardian
|| 16/20 (★)
|(★) 20 when you include the Total Devotion bonus
|See also How to Read the statblock
- Blessed Spear - 2" reach, P+S 13 melee weapon
- Attached - Before the start of the game, attach this model to a friendly Faction warcaster for the rest of the game. Each Faction warcaster can only have one model/unit attached to it.
- Guard Dog - While this model is within 3" of its warlock/warcaster and isn't knocked down or stationary, its warlock/warcaster gains Parry and +2 DEF against melee attack rolls, and models attacking the warcaster do not gain back strike bonuses.
- Reposition [3"] - At the end of an activation in which it did not run or fail a charge, this model can advance up to 3", then its activation ends.
- Shield Guard - Once per round, when a friendly model is directly hit by a non-spray ranged attack during your opponent's turn while within 3" of this model, you can choose to have this model directly hit instead. This model is automatically hit and suffers all damage and effects. This model cannot use Shield Guard while it is incorporeal, knocked down, or stationary.
- Total Devotion - While the Fane Knight is in its warcaster's CMD range, it gains +4 ARM and cannot become knocked down.
Thoughts on Fane Knight Guardian
This model/theme has only recently been released, and the content in the "Thoughts On" section is based more on theory-machine than actual gameplay experience.
Feel free to remove this warning if you, personally, have a good level of gameplay experience with the model, have reviewed this article, and either you A) agree with the content 100% or B) for the parts you disagree with, you don't strongly disagree; and it's more a case of differing opinions between you and previous editors rather than incorrect content / bad advice.
Fane Knight Guardian in a nutshell
The Retribution's Shield Guard. Decent DEF and high ARM boost make it survivable.
Combos & Synergies
Any squishy warcaster or someone who doesn't like getting shot.
Bumps Thyron's melee DEF to 17, which works nicely with Riposte.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- He's in the attached slot, which means he's fighting Sylys Wyshnalyrr for space. Do you want to cast spells or stay alive a little longer?
- Squishy casters are often fall for Stationary/Knock Down attacks, and the knight is rarely a remedy for that.
Tricks & Tips
- Originally released 2017.04
Defenders of Ios (Article) (Category)
Other Retribution models
Rules Clarification : Blessed and/or Creator's Wrath (Edit)
- Blessed ignores buffs even if they're not directly on the target. For instance, Haley3's Temporal Distortion spell gives a DEF buff to everyone within 5" ... and Blessed ignores it. (Locked thread)
- You only ignore the DEF/ARM buff if the spell directly adds to the stat. A spell which instead grants a separate non-spell ability, and the ability gives a DEF/ARM buff, would not be ignored. (Infernal Ruling)
In this ruling, Blessed does not ignore the DEF from Ashen Veil, because the DEF bonus comes from Concealment, and not the spell itself.
- If a spell buffs DEF/ARM and [something else] then you ignore the buff but not the [something else].
- For example, the spell Cloak of Ash grants concealment, and models with concealment gain +2 DEF. You would not ignore this DEF bonus.
- For example, the spell Death Ward grants +2 ARM and the defender chooses which column suffers damage. You would ignore the ARM bonus, but the defender still picks the column.
- The Mk3 Blessed icon resembles the old Mk2 Magical Weapon icon. Do not get them confused.
- This ability only ignores buffs from spells, not buffs from feats (such as Stryker1's Invincibility +5 ARM) or abilities (such as Protective Aura's +2 ARM).
Rules Clarification: : Magical Damage (Edit)
(Click Expand to read)
| * The "Damage Type: Magical" is not inherited by "secondary" damage from a weapon. That is, stuff like arcs (Electro Leap) or hazards (Scather). (Infernal Ruling)
- All spells have "Damage Type: Magical" (refer errata).
- This is inherited by "immediate" secondary damage (such as Eruption of Spines). (Infernal Ruling)
- and might be inherited by "lingering" secondary damage (see below).
- If a spell leaves a template in play that does damage to models that walk around in it, then:
- if it is not described as a hazard it will do magical damage to models that walk around in it. (Example: Razor Wall)
- if it is a hazard then it will not do magical damage to models that walk around in it. Instead, it does whatever damage type is specified by the spell description. (Example: Breath of Corruption).
- (Infernal Ruling)
- If a weapon/spell includes Magic Damage and another kind of elemental damage it will still damage Incorporeal models. Incorporeal models are not affected by the rule "if an attack does multiple types of damage and a model is immune to at least one it is immune to the entire attack."
The phrase "immune to non-magical damage" should be interpreted as "immune to damage that doesn't include Damage Type: Magical" (not interpreted as "has immunity to Corrosion and Electricity and Cold and etc.")
Rules Clarification : Attached (Edit)
- Attached models are not (normally) part of the warcaster's/warlock's battlegroup. (Infernal Ruling)
- (You need the Companion rule to become part of the battlegroup).
- Thus, attachments are not affected by battlegroup-only effects such as Energizer (unless they're a Companion).
Rules Clarification : Guard Dog (Edit)
- If Rocinante is put under the control of a Jack Marshal then he effectively loses his Guard Dog ability because he does not have a controlling warcaster.
- Simarily, he loses it while under Gastone1's control because Gastone1 is not a warcaster, he's a solo.
Rules Clarification : Reposition (Edit)
- Models out of formation cannot move via Reposition. Refer to the "Out of Formation" rules in the core rulebook.
- You cannot trigger abilities that occur "at the end of activation" (such as Sprint) after resolving Reposition, because your activation has ended. (Infernal Ruling) See also this article for a detailed explanation.
- You cannot trigger abilities that occur "at any time" (such as Go To Ground) during a Reposition. Because you can't trigger it while moving, and after moving your activation has ended. (Infernal Ruling)
- This holds true even if it's a unit with multiple Reposition moves. (Infernal Ruling)
Rules Clarification : Shield Guard (Edit)
- Shield Guard doesn't work vs spells.
- Since Shield Guard specifies "opponent's turn", it can't be used against stuff that shoots in your own turn (such as Watcher or Counterblast).
- The Shield Guard does not necessarily need to be in the attacker's LOS or range.
- The Shield Guarder is always hit even if they have an ability that makes them automatically get missed, such as Stealth. (Automatically missing is determined earlier in the timing sequence than the Shield Guard moving the hit.) (Infernal Ruling)
- You shift all effects onto the shield guard, including stuff that triggers on "when this attack hits".
- When you use Shield Guard vs an AOE attack, the template moves too. Because, with reference to Apdx A, the hit 'moves' at Step 6 and the template placement is determined at Step 7.
- Shield Guard doesn't work vs Point Blank attacks. Because Point Blank attacks are melee attacks that are made using a ranged weapon.
- On the other hand, it will work vs Gunfighter attacks.
Rules Clarification : Total Devotion - None yet. (Edit)