|This server will go offline in September 2018. Please migrate to our new server, Warmachine University|
|For more info on why we're moving to a new server, check out the Brief History section on the new main page, and/or listen to episode 45 of the LOS podcast|
| If you have made an edit within the last month or so, please check the new server and see if it was copied by the autobot. |
You may need to copy-paste your work to the new server manually. Sorry.
Unlike the Deathripper, the Defiler avoids close combat. Instead it fires on the enemy from a distance with its sludge cannon, which spews concentrated, caustic poison that consumes metal and stone more easily than flame eats wood. Faced with the potential of its arc node and the horrendous wounds caused by its sludge cannon, enemies often desperately try to close and deal with this bonejack before their allies are torn apart.
|See also How to Read the statblock|
Weapons and Attacks
- Bash - 0.5" reach, P+S 7 melee weapon
- Sludge Cannon - 8" spray, POW 10 gun
- Warjack - All warjacks share the same set of special rules. Most notably being big and stompy.
- Construct - This model is a construct and is not a living model.
- Arc Node - This model can channel spells cast by its controlling Warcaster.
Thoughts on Defiler
Notable changes from Mk2
Nothing really. Loss of POW and DEF.
Defiler in a nutshell
Defiler as an arc node
The Arc Node is one of the most useful abilities a model can have, and with Cryx you can field them very cheaply. An arc node allows your warcaster to cast spells using the arc node as the point of origin. The obvious benefit is casting spells on the frontline while staying safely in the backline. You can also use it to launch surprise attacks from unexpected angles, by running an arc node right across the board into a good position before activating your warcaster. For this reason it pays to keep at least one arc node on the outskirts of the conflict, waiting for an opportunity.
Defiler as a combat jack
The Sludge Cannon is a good weapon for hosing down a unit of infantry, but due to the poor RAT will mostly miss. Luckily, sprays ignore a lot of defensive bonus and as such, can be considered to be more precise than raw stats would indicate. In any case sprays are a very useful tool for eliminating key targets, and the extra speed the bonejack brings can make it appealing in certain situations, especially if you ran on the first turn.
Combos & Synergies
- Seek casters who can increase a Defiler's RAT or reduce an enemies defense.
- Take one under Aiakos2 and on feat turn it can charge 13" and spray 8" (total 21" threat).
Drawbacks & Downsides
- Its damage grid has just enough boxes to allow the bonejack to take a good hit and keep going, but a second one will likely leave it crippled if not totally destroyed. This sets the tone for Cryx bonejacks being fast and hard to hit, but easily damaged if they are struck.
- The Defiler costs slightly more points than other arc nodes.
- Once engaged by an enemy the Defiler can't arc nor shoot. And it sucks at melee.
Tricks & Tips
- Slam a target to cause damage and leave it knocked down. This has the added benefit of leaving the Defiler out of combat afterwards so its arc node may still be used.
- Originally released in Warmachine: Prime (2003)
- Sculptor: John Winter
Cryx non-character warjack themes (Edit)
- Black Industries (Article) (Category)
- Dark Host (Article) (Category)
- The Ghost Fleet (Article) (Category)
- Infernal Machines (Article) (Category)
- Scourge of the Broken Coast (Article) (Category)
- Slaughter Fleet Raiders (Article) (Category)
Other Cryx models
|Warcasters|| Captain Bartolo - Captain Damiano - Cognifex - Drake MacBain - Exulon - Fiona - Magnus1 - Magnus2|
Requires a 2+ caster game.
|Other Controllers||Raluk Moorclaw (Marshal) - Rorsh & Brine (Lesser Warlock) - Wrongeye & Snapjaw (Lesser Warlock)|
|Warjacks, Warbeasts, & Monstrosities||The mercenary battlegroup members you can include in a Cryx army depends entirely on what type of model is commanding them. There are too many permutations to list here, please refer to one of the model entries above for full details of what it can take.|
|Mercenary Units, Solos, & Battle Engines|
|Units||Press Gangers - Sea Dog Deck Gun - Sea Dog Pirates & CA & WA - Steelhead Halberdiers - Steelhead Heavy Cavalry - Steelhead Riflemen|
|Solos|| Ogrun Bokur - Swamp Gobber Raiders