The Cygnaran Armory takes pride in its innovation and technological superiority, traits seen in all the battle-tested warjacks built on the classic Ironclad chassis. The Defender employs its long, heavy barrel cannon for unprecedented long-range and accurate firepower without sacrificing its effectiveness in melee.
|See also How to Read the statblock|
Weapons and Attacks
- Heavy Barrel - 16" range, POW 15 gun.
- Shock Hammer - 1" reach, P+S 17 melee weapon
- Cortex Damage - When a warjack is hit by this weapon, it suffers 1 damage point to its first available Cortex system box.
- Warjack - All warjacks share the same set of special rules. Most notably being big and stompy.
- Construct - This model is a construct and is not a living model.
Thoughts on Defender
Defender in a nutshell
The Defender is a long range gun on a heavy jack. The High power and long range give it a ludicrous threat range. This gets even longer when combined with a Snipe spell. The melee weapon is still quite dangerous because it causes cortex damage.
Combos & Synergies
- Captain Kara Sloan makes these shine. Fire Group makes their threat range extremely long and Guided Fire keeps them very accurate regardless (and you don't even have to risk putting a 2nd focus on them outside of feat turn).
- Caine's Hellslingers.It is expensive choice, but a shot of 18 POW will never be wrong, right?
- Rangers. RAT6 is good. Effective RAT8 is better.
- Marshalled to an Arcane Tempest Gun Mage Officer you have the option for a RNG 20" POW 17 shot between Snipe and Take Aim! To really make that count, bring Captain Arlan Strangewayes to Empower the Defender to boost the damage roll.
- While expensive, putting a Defender in the battlegroup of a Journeyman Warcaster allows you to boost its ranged attack and damage rolls while keeping your source of Arcane Shield safely out of harm's way.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- This jack only has a couple of attacks (a single shot non-AOE gun, and a melee weapon designed to put hurt on warjacks) which makes it susceptible to getting mobbed by infantry and simply unable to kill enough quickly enough to work it's way free. Especially vs anti-armor infantry.
- If you just want shooting the Hunter hits about as hard for two thirds of the points.
- If you want shooting and toughness Triumph works well
Tricks & Tips
- Remember that every swing of the Defender's hammer is more accurate and harder hitting than the main gun - and that three hits means that an enemy warjack is almost unable to fight back. The Defender is a melee heavy that uses its gun to soften the enemy up not the purely ranged heavy people think it is.
Comparison to Mk2
Effectively a little cheaper and slightly harder hitting, but otherwise the same.
- Originally released in Warmachine: Prime (2003)
Themes for non-character warjacks (Edit)
- Storm Division - (Article) (Category)
- Heavy Metal (Article) (Category)
- Gravediggers - (Article) (Category)
Other faction models