Dawnlord Vyros views the military might of the new Retribution as a sword in his hands, one sufficient to sunder any obstacle. He has the loyalty of the Dawnguard and the volunteered assets of dozens of other houses. The Dawnlord has a reputation as a bold and forthright general who leads by example. Even pursuits such as falconry Vyros extends to applications in war, linking his mind to his hawk’s to look down from above and survey the battlefield.
- 1 Basic Info
- 2 Thoughts on Dawnlord Vyros
- 3 Other
|See also How to Read the statblock|
- Justicar - 2" reach, P+S 14 melee weapon
- Warcaster - All warcasters come with a stack of standard special rules - most notably being awesome.
- Bird's Eye - Battlegroup models in control range ignore clouds, forests and intervening models for line of sight.
- Flank [Retribution Warjack] - This model gains +2 to hit and +d6 damage for melee attacks vs enemy models in the melee range of a friendly Retribution warjack.
- Eliminator - Cost 3, 8" range, 3" AOE, POW 13
- Immediately after this attack is resolved, the caster can advance up to 2" for each enemy model destroyed by the attack.
- Hallowed Avenger - Cost 2, 6" range, Upkeep
- Target friendly Faction warjack gains Righteous Vengeance. (Righteous Vengeance - If a friendly Faction model dies within 5" model, next turn this model gets a free 3" move and melee attack during the maintenance phase.)
- Inviolable Resolve - Cost 2, 6" range, Upkeep
- Friendly Faction model/unit gains +2 ARM and they cannot be moved by a push or slam. Doesn't work while out of formation.
- Mobility - Cost 3
- Battlegroup models gain +2 SPD and Pathfinder for one turn.
- Stranglehold - Cost 2, 10" range, POW 11
- If the target is damaged it must forfeit either its movement or its action next activation, as its controller chooses.
Feat : Perfect Execution
While in his CTRL range, his warjacks gain Flank [friendly Faction warrior model]. Lasts for one turn.
Thoughts on Dawnlord Vyros
Dawnlord Vyros in a nutshell
Master of the combined arms approach, pVyros is a very strong support caster. He has excellent spells for both his battlegroup and for a selected unit in his army, and a feat, which incentives you to take both. His personal combat output is respectable close to his jacks due to Flank, but that should only be a backup plan when playing him. Bird's Eye gives huge advantage in SR2017 scenarios, as the centre is always dominated by a LOS blocking terrain piece, and quite often it will be a forest patch. Screening models mean nothing to your battlegroup (even if they're within 1" to each other, like in the case of Arcing Fire) and the more exotic defensive measures (smoke walls and the like) won't hold back your jacks either.
It requires careful coordination between your warrior models and your battlegroup to make the most out of it. Terrain can also hinder your movement, so fast units with Pathfinder are strongly advised. Finally, it is fairly obvious what you want: engage with your warrior models, so then you can charge in with your jacks. Watch out for traps your opponent might set up for you, including countercharges, out-of-activation movements like Admonition, or simply getting out of your melee range with Dodge and the like. Perfect Execution has the same built-in weakness, as Siege1's Breach: if you overstretch yourself, and try to catch all of the enemy's force in the bubble, your forces can spread thin, and the enemy can easily open up lines for retaliation. Try to get the most important pieces, possibly heavy hitters, and win through attrition.
- Eliminator - Pretty restrictive on your FOCUS pool, and have quite corner-case applications. First, you want to move in for killing the enemy caster. Second, you want to extricate Vyros from a likewise threat. Third, you want Vyros to reach a scenario element for killing / scoring. And all three situation assumes that Mobility wouldn't take you far enough.
- Hallowed Avenger - Ensure that the enemies will get your jack even faster into their faces, if they start killing your forces.
- Inviolable Resolve - Your main support spell. Place it on a core infantry unit, especially if you expect pushing tricks, like in a Rahn mirror match, or against a Sons of the Tempest force. It also helps to anchor a key jack of yours into a zone, and keep it there.
- Mobility - Your bread and butter spell. If you didn't cast it on turn 1, something odd is going on. Know your enemy's threat ranges though, it is really annoying, if you overcommitted yourself, and they jam up your lines.
- Stranglehold - A somewhat odd zap; usually too weak to damage low DEF high ARM models without damage boost, and your FOCUS 6 is too low to reliably cast on low ARM high DEF models without attack boost. However, if you manage to land it on a target, who is knocked down, or stationary, that one is pretty much out of action for a turn (unless it can shake the above mentioned effects).
Vyros offers an extremely mobile battlegroup. Going first with Mobility will get even your slowest jack up to 21" from your table edge. Mount pressure early on the enemy, deliver an alpha strike to cripple the enemy force and get ahead on attrition using your feat.
- Legions of Dawn - Durable infantry beside your Jacks, plus an extra 2" deployment zone, what's not to love? For example, the low speed on your Dawnguards. Your Mobility-enhanced battlegroup can get way ahead of the Dawnguard lines, making Flank difficult to happen. If you bring this force, a Scyir is a must for its Tactician, and strongly consider Cylena's Hunters to have someone triggering Perfect Execution in time.
- Dawnguard Sentinels - They rarely reach the front faster than your jacks, but between Inviolable Resolve, Wall of Steel and Iron Zeal they can weather most of the things the enemy might throw at them on the advance.
- Forges of War - When you don't want Hallowed Avenger to be triggered, protect your infantry with Shield Guard - who are sadly most likely to be Cylena again, and some Battle Mages. Though you get your jack support for free, enemy forces with even a half-decent anti-infantry capacity can ruin your day.
- Defenders of Ios - This theme has some interesting choices. Advance moving Houseguard Halberdiers along with their Thane can walk up 21" in the first turn, in Shield Wall and a possible ARM 20. Under Inviolable Resolve enemies also cannot push them out of B2B, and their 2" reach also triggers your Flank bonus from afar.
- Shadows of the Retribution - Ever wanted a battlegroup, who can keep up with your pointy-eared assassins? Well, Vyros' surely can! You also get access to strong melee solos, like the Mage Hunter Assassins, or Narn, who can dig deep into the enemy lines. Terrain is also rarely an issue for your troops. You may also want to consider adding Eiryss3 for Advance Deployment. Also, you can spare Inviolable Resolve on your troops, as the +2 ARM will hardly make any difference - even against blasts, the most common tool against them.
- Sylys - Any FOCUS strapped caster likes free upkeep and help with your offensive spells.
- Hemera can tame the cost of his first arced spell, while the Chimera can take the job of a channeller for a meagre 8 points.
- Imperatus - His character jack, with a respectable 13" threat range under Mobility. The free charge from the bond ensures a certain degree of protection against Disruption too, should an Arcanist Mechanik be too far away to help.
- Hyperion and Helios - Shooting behind screening models with either the strongest gun on the game, or with a pushing cannon is not something you easily turn down.
Drawbacks, Downsides, & Bad Match-Ups
- Things that counter charges (Polarity Shield, Vindictus' feat, etc), or running (Zerkova1's feat) will make the delivery of your feat extremely difficult
- With all those great support spells he is short on FOCUS
- Rough terrain can severely affect your army outside your battlegroup.
Tricks & Tips
- Bird's Eye affects Vyros too - use it to charge through walls of smoke, forests, or simply let loose some Eliminator into casters, hiding behind their comrades.
Originally released in Forces of Warmachine: Retribution of Scyrah (Novermber 2009)
- Forges of War (Article) (Category)
- Themes for any-and-all casters (Edit)
Other Retribution models
|Retribution Mercenary Models/Units|
|Units||Lady Aiyana & Master Holt - Lynus Wesselbaum & Edrea Lloryrr|
|Solos||Dahlia Hallyr & Skarath - Eilish Garrity - Madelyn Corbeau, Ordic Courtesan|
| * The "Damage Type: Magical" is not inherited by "secondary" damage from a weapon. That is, stuff like arcs (Electro Leap) or hazards (Scather). (Infernal Ruling)