|This server will go offline in September 2018. Please migrate to our new server, Warmachine University|
|For more info on why we're moving to a new server, check out the Brief History section on the new main page, and/or listen to episode 45 of the LOS podcast|
| If you have made an edit within the last month or so, please check the new server and see if it was copied by the autobot. |
You may need to copy-paste your work to the new server manually. Sorry.
Dawnguard sentinels charge into the enemy as an overwhelming tide of cleaving blades. These heavily armored knights use their great swords to expertly carve through any adversary willing to stand against them. Sentinels embody sheer determination made tangible in flesh and steel and consider themselves guardians of the ideals of the Dawnguard.
Officer & Standard Bearer - Command Attachment
- 1 Basic Info
- 2 Analysis of Dawnguard Sentinels
- 3 Other
|Unit Size|| 6/10|
|See also How to Read the statblock|
- Leader, Grunts, & Officer
- Great Sword - 2" reach, P+S 12 melee weapon
- Weapon Master - When attacking with this weapon, add an additional die to its damage rolls.
- Great Sword - 2" reach, P+S 12 melee weapon
- Standard Bearer
- Unarmed - This model has no weapons.
- Entire Unit
- Vengeance - During your Maintenance Phase, if one or more models in a unit with Vengeance were damaged by enemy attacks during the last round, each model in the unit can advance 3" and make one basic melee attack.
- Wall of Steel - This model gains +2 ARM bonus while it is B2B with another model in its unit.
- Officer only
- He has +1 MAT and 5 hitpoints
- Officer - This model is the unit commander even if the unit has a Leader model.
- Iron Zeal (Minifeat) - Once per game, for one round the unit gains +3 ARM and cannot become stationary or knocked down. Models lose the bonus while out of formation.
- Tactics: Relentless Charge - The unit gains Relentless Charge. (Relentless Charge - While advancing as part of a charge, this model gains Pathfinder.)
- Standard only
Analysis of Dawnguard Sentinels
Dawnguard Sentinels in a nutshell
These guys are your expensive tank infantry, they can be taken out if hit right but when they get to where they are going they make sure you remember. All in all they are a basic armor unit who specialize in being their own delivery system with wall of steel and iron zeal, and when they get to where they are going weapon master coupled with high MAT mean a few models just got sliced in half.
Thoughts on adding the CA
Since the Officer amends two of the most important issues with assault troops (Pathfinder during charges and extra ARM in a crucial turn, while advancing toward the enemy), their attachment is kind of mandatory.
Combos & Synergies
Any caster that can increase their ability to get to where they're going is good, plus there are a few other good options that are non-caster that make great combinations.
- Helynna is a fantastic with her Deceleration spell to assure that the Dawnguard can safely make it across the board.
- Issyria and Vyros1 both have have Inviolable Resolve which makes the Sentinels unmovable jerks who spit in your opponents face and proceed to paint their white armour red with their blood.
- Discordia is yet another delivery vessel of armored goodness. Discordia's imprint gives armor against shooting so just keep him around and you will have some scary support with your troops.
- Fane Knight Skeryth Issyen is great to keep around these valiant warriors he gives them Shield Guard to protect at least from one shot, and if by chance a pew goes through and take out one of your sentinels then Righteous Fury kicks in and the angry knight gets sweet, sweet revenge!
- House Shyeel Artificer is good against shooting and blasts just like Discordia but he serves to increase defense with Force Wall which gives Force Barrier to all models nearby. Even though you might not get blasted you can still get caught on fire so be careful against Menoth.
Drawbacks and Downsides
- Even at SPD 5 they can be slow to get to where they need to go. Spells like Crusader's Call could help with this when it's time to make an alphastrike.
- As all high-ARM single-wound targets, they are vulnerable to effects, that cause fix 1 point of damage (Sniper, Corrosion, Puncture, Anatomic Precision, etc.)
Tricks and Tips
- Keeping them in the triples arrow head formation to better keep their armor bonus is great, but there is a better option. Keeping most units spread out to prevent AOE blasts and corrosion is key so remember your mini feat. So turn one move out, turn two mini feat and turn three slice and dice.
- If you have to, leave one or two guys a bit further up as a sacrifice with a purpose. This tactic has two purposes, one you have a weapon master with decent range up close so they can block charge lanes or make your opponent deal with them before they get closer. Two dying, let them die (or attack if left alone) and you will have triggered Vengence giving the unit a free three inch move and attack before your turn really begins.
- Couple them with things that increase armor or prevents blast damage (Artificer or Discordia) POW 10 can take them out pretty easy unless buffed so just remember to keep them safe.
- The Standard Bearer will benefit from the Vengeance move, if not the free attack.
- Watch out for abilities and spells, that can be triggered by Vengeance moves - most commonly Admonition, Counterblast, Counter Charge, Watcher/Guardian Beast.
Originally released in Forces of Warmachine: Retribution of Scyrah (Novermber 2009)
Other Retribution models
|Retribution Mercenary Models/Units|
|Units||Lady Aiyana & Master Holt - Lynus Wesselbaum & Edrea Lloryrr|
|Solos||Dahlia Hallyr & Skarath - Eilish Garrity - Madelyn Corbeau, Ordic Courtesan|
Note to Editors