|For more info on why we're moving to a new server, check out the Brief History section on the new main page, and/or listen to episode 45 of the LOS podcast|
| If you have made an edit within the last month or so, please check the new server and see if it was copied by the autobot. |
You may need to copy-paste your work to the new server manually. Sorry.
Captain Amador Damiano fights for glory, fame, honor, and the certainty that he will in time become a living legend. His Steelheads march in perfect lines and display a unity and responsiveness on the battlefield equal to or surpassing the infantry of any army in western Immoren. Damiano sees himself as much more than a mercenary captain; each contract he takes is not simply a paycheck, it is another conquest, another chance to show the world he is a battle commander without equal.
- 1 Basic Info
- 2 Thoughts on Captain Damiano
- 3 Other
|See also How to Read the statblock|
- Judgement - 12" range, POW 12 gun
- Glory - 1" reach, P+S 12 melee weapon.
- Mercenary - In a 2-caster game he can work as a Cryx mercenary, Cygnar mercenary, Khador mercenary, or as a Protectorate of Menoth mercenary
- Warcaster - All warcasters come with a stack of standard special rules - most notably being awesome.
- Paymaster [Steelhead] - This model starts the game with 5 coins and can spend them at any time during its activation. For each coin you spend you choose one of the following Incentives. Incentives can only target friendly Steelhead units within your CMD range. A Steelhead unit can only benefit from one Incentive per turn.
- Battle Maneuvers - The unit gains Reposition [5"] for one turn. (Reposition [5"] - At the end of an activation in which it did not run or fail a charge, this model can advance up to 5", then its activation ends.)
- Money Shot - Affected models gain +2 to ranged attack and ranged damage rolls for one turn.
Convection - Cost 2, 10" range, POW 12
- When Convection destroys a living enemy model, you can give 1 focus point to a warjack in the spellcaster's balttlegroup that is in its control range.
Deadeye - Cost 2, 6" range
- Target friendly Faction model/unit gains an additional die on each model's first non-spray ranged attack roll this turn.
Death March - Cost 3, 6" range, Upkeep.
- Target friendly Faction unit gains +2 MAT and Vengeance. (Vengeance - During your Maintenance Phase, if one or more models in a unit with Vengeance were damaged by enemy attacks during the last round, each model in the unit can advance 3" and make one basic melee attack.)
Road to War - Cost 3, Upkeep
- When a friendly Faction model in the caster's CTRL range destroys one or more enemy models with a melee or ranged attack during its activation, immediately after the attack is resolved one warjack in the caster's battlegroup that is in its CTRL range can advance up to 3". A warjack can advance as a result of Road to War only once per turn.
Sure Foot - Cost 2, 6" range, Upkeep
- Target friendly Faction model/unit gains +2 DEF and immunity to being knocked down. Models are not affected while out of formation.
While in Damiano's CTRL range, friendly Faction models gain +3 STR and ARM and can move or be moved only during your turn. Conquest lasts for one round.
Thoughts on Captain Damiano
Captain Damiano in a nutshell
Damiano is an upkeep-heavy infantry support caster and the best at that job the Mercenaries have to offer. He is unusual among warcasters as he has tools to improve accuracy, damage, threat range, defense and armor. His melee ability is unremarkable but his magic hand cannon is useful when needed, so he should hang as far back as possible to avoid incoming fire. Few warcasters support an army as well as Damiano. He is considered a top 2 Mercenary caster.
Maximising his feat and spells
Most of the time you want to use the feat when it's time for the big charge. On rare occasions, it may be used to counter an opposing feat like Exulon Thexus or Krueger2 as it prevents his army from being moved (they can still be placed).
- Convection - This is almost never cast. Damiano has a magical hand cannon which is better and can be AOE 3 so you'd only cast this spell if you needed to kill quite a few incorporeal models in one turn.
- Deadeye - You will probably be casting this every turn as it negates a lot of defensive bonuses out there.
- Death March - Good to put on any larger unit that's likely to be taking losses frequently - usually Steelhead Halberdiers although people have found it very useful on a 15 person unit of Trencher Infantry.
- Road to War - Always a helpful spell to have up right away on Damiano before your 'jacks have closed to engage, especially if his battlegroup is following closely behind other units and can benefit from their kills.
- Sure Foot - This spell is very useful for infantry, as it makes them more survivable with a higher DEF - and it's especially useful on Tough units. But it can also be useful for 'jacks mostly in terms of its ability to prevent knockdown. If you're going up against an army that depends on knockdown (looking at you, High Exemplar Kreoss), casting this on your most important unit will shut that down.
Typical Army & Strategy
- Damiano hangs well back and upkeeps 2 of 3 spells. One is usually Surefoot and the other is either Road to War or Death March depending on the matchup. Once things get going, it's up to you to decide what most needs to happen during the turn, whether it is casting Deadeye, using his Blaster gun, or allocating focus to warjacks. Surefoot works best on a unit that is tough, has good DEF, and can shrug off blasts. Trenchers fit the bill, so he's often seen in Kingmaker's with a full 15 Trenchers anchoring the middle of the board. He's not very tricky so he mostly relies on having more bodies than the other army which he can turn into high quality bodies thanks to his spells and abilities.
- Damiano is pretty much the only caster that makes The Kingmaker's Army theme force worthwhile, since he is not hamstringing himself trying to run it like the other in-theme casters do. He's amazing with both Steelheads and Trenchers (unlike MacBain) and does not want a big battlegroup (like both instances of Magnus and Bart), so Kingmakers fit the bill nicely.
- Due to his Paymaster ability, Damiano likes Steelheads of all types.
- Money Shot improves the Steelhead Riflemen, giving them boosted ranged attack and damage to go with their combined attacks, and makes the Steelhead Calvary hit harder at range, especially with Deadeye on either.
- Death March is very useful on the Steelhead Halberdiers, as they WILL be dying and thus likely to trigger Vengeance,
- while Sure Foot put all the Steelheads in a good DEF range.
- Battle Maneuvers does provide a lot of tactical flexibility for Steelhead movement.
- Damiano can also run non-Steelhead units that take advantage of his spell list, including: Cylena Raefyll & Nyss Hunters, the Idrian Skirmishers, or the Kayazy Assassins all benefit from both Death March and Sure Foot and are better overall units. Thorn Gun Mages benefit greatly from Deadeye.
- In terms of warjacks, Rocinante is a tempting choice due to its Bond with Damiano, but is considered very overpriced. Nomads, Talons and Mariners provide cheap options that Damiano can make great use of as he doesn't particularly excel at running warjacks, but he can get them there and make them hit hard for one turn, so it's often best to just cram a bunch of cheap stuff in there. A Buccaneer is useful to knock Damiano down in the Kingmaker's theme force, just so you can protect him via Feign Death.
- Other effects that buff infantry, such as Ragman's Death Field, only make Damiano's forces stronger.
- Damiano runs Trencher Infantry - as well as, or better than any caster in the game. A max unit of 15 models with DEF 15, Tough, no Knockdown, and Dig In are as difficult to remove as infantry gets. Toss in Deadeye and the Trenchers do lots of work. He also gets some free solos, and free is an excellent price for Stannis Brocker if you are planning on running a Steelhead battalion.
- Deadeye and Eilish Garrity's Puppetmaster push the chance for criticals on ranged weapons up to roughly 70%. The Mule and the Hammerfall Siege Crawler got two really great critical effects on their guns.
- On the Mule the chance can be even greater since you can still boost the attack roll AND put Deadeye on it.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- The Steelhead Calvary have lost some offensive power, which Damiano valued greatly. However, Steelhead Riflemen have got cheaper and Steelhead Halberdiers are still a fantastic unit to tag along with Damiano.
- Damiano is pretty dependent on upkeeps to do much for his army, especially if he didn't bring Steelheads. This means any army that brings upkeep removal makes his life more difficult. He does not want to see Purification.
- He doesn't have a strong assassination game and tends to bring a lot of infantry, which means long games that will test your clock management skills.
- His end game ability to pull out the win by himself is well below average.
Tricks & Tips
- Combining Money Shot and Deadeye on a Steelhead unit with a ranged attack makes them surprisingly powerful.
- Originally released in the Warmachine: Wrath expansion (2011).
- Captain Damiano appears to be based off of Don Quixote, a fictional Spanish 'knight' made infamous for charging windmills in the play "Man of La Mancha" (Wikipedia: Tilting at Windmills).
- The name of Don Quixote's old decrepit horse and Damiano's bonded family warjack, "Rocinante", is a Spanish pun meaning either "Foremost Steed" or "Old Workhorse." (Wikipedia: Rocinante)
- Ironically, in Portuguese "amador" has the meaning of amateur, dilletante or nonprofessional, contradictory to Amador Damiano's personal entitlement to not only fight for gold and coin (as some other mercenary warcasters), but also for fame, honor and glory.
Warjacks he can take
|Mercenary Warjacks (Edit)|
|Light||Buccaneer - Renegade (Magnus only) - Talon - Vanguard|
|Heavy|| Freebooter - Mangler - Mariner - Mule - Nomad - Rover - Toro|
Gallant - Rocinante
Other Mercenary models
| * The "Damage Type: Magical" is not inherited by "secondary" damage from a weapon. That is, stuff like arcs (Electro Leap) or hazards (Scather). (Infernal Ruling)