Crucible Guard Assault Troopers
|This server will go offline in September 2018. Please migrate to our new server, Warmachine University|
|For more info on why we're moving to a new server, check out the Brief History section on the new main page, and/or listen to episode 45 of the LOS podcast|
| If you have made an edit within the last month or so, please check the new server and see if it was copied by the autobot. |
You may need to copy-paste your work to the new server manually. Sorry.
Assault Troopers are the front line of the Crucible Guard and their best close quarters operatives. Like their Storm Troopers brethren, their alchemically treated armored suits grant the shields them from incoming fire and hazards. Their Thermal Hammers release white-hot flames with each swing, scorching flesh and metal alike.
Rules subject to change.
This is a new model, and the information here is what was given at the start of the CID cycle
|Crucible Guard Assault Troopers|
- Thermal Hammer - 2" reach, P+S 13 melee weapon.
- Critical Continuous Fire - A model critically hit by this attack is set on fire. A model on fire suffers a POW 12 fire damage roll each turn until the fire expires.
- Brutal Charge - This model gains +2 damage on charge attacks with this weapon.
- Flame Burst - When you box an enemy model with this weapon, enemy models within 1" of the boxed model suffer Continuous Fire.
- Breather - This model does not suffer gas effects.
- Immunity: Corrosion - This model does not suffer corrosion damage, nor the continuous corrosion effect.
- Immunity: Fire - This model does not suffer fire damage, nor the continuous fire effect.
- Carapace - This model gains +4 ARM vs. ranged attacks and free strikes.
- Ashen Veil - This model has concealment, and living enemy models within 2" suffer -2 to attack rolls, unless they have Fire immunity.
Thoughts on Crucible Guard Assault Troopers
Feel free to remove this warning if you, personally, have a good level of gameplay experience with the model, have reviewed this article, and either you A) agree with the content 100% or B) for the parts you disagree with, you don't strongly disagree; and it's more a case of differing opinions between you and previous editors rather than incorrect content / bad advice.
Crucible Guard Assault Troopers in a nutshell
Assault Troopers are hard-hitting, relatively cheap, and relatively durable melee infantry. Their peak resilience is achieved at range, as Ashen Veil and Carapace will effectively make them DEF 13 ARM 20. In melee this durability falls off pretty quickly: DEF 11 (against non-living) and ARM 16 just won't save you. They are probably best thought as a second line clean up crew, as once the lines will have collapsed, they can bring their MAT 7 P+S 15 hammers with Flame Burst to bear.
Combos & Synergies
Drawbacks and Downsides
- Their defensive stats aren't really that solid in melee: ARM 16 and 5 wounds will get one-shotted by a charging P+S 10 half the time if they hit.
- DEF 11 is easy to hit, and Ashen Veil puts them only into the "get missed more often than not" zone which means Fire-Immune melee models are likely annihilating them.
- Even with Brutal Charge they aren't going to crack heavies on their own and their infantry clear relies on the enemy being bunched up and on good fire rolls.
Tricks and Tips
- ignore weak melee free strikes with arm 20
- Magnum Opus (Article) (Category)
- Prima Materia (Article) (Category)
- Llaelese Resistance - (Article) (Category)
Other Crucible Guard models
|Warcasters||Aurum Legate Lukas di Morray - Aurum Adeptus Syvestro - Marshal General Baldwin Gearhart & Mr. Clogg - Aurum Lucanum Athanor Locke - Captain Eira Mackay|
|Warcaster attachments||Aurum Legate Alyce Marc - Sylys Wyshnalyrr (Mercenary) - Madelyn Corbeau (Mercenary)|
|Liberator - Retaliator - Vanguard||Suppresor - Toro - Vindicator||Vulcan|
|Units, Solos, & Battle Engines|
|Units|| Infantry - Assault Troopers - Combat Alchemists - Dragon's Breath Rocket - Rocketmen - Shock Troopers - |
Ranking Officer : Doctor Adolpheus Morely
|Solos|| Rocketman Ace - Mechanik - Trancer|
Prospero - Gorman - Hutchuck
|Battle Engines||Railless Interceptor|
|Primae Materia - Magnum Opus|