As a murderous band of mercenaries, Croe’s Cutthroats prefer stealth and guile over confrontations of brute strength. Many of their enemies have fallen to the poisoned weapons utilized by their unseen hands.
Weapons and Attacks
- Crossbow - 10" range, POW 10 ranged weapon.
- Murder Weapons - 0,5" range, P+S 8 melee weapon
- Mercenaries - will work for Cryx, Khador, Protectorate of Menoth.
- Backstab - This model gains an additional die to hit and damage rolls when it attacks from the target's back arc.
- Reposition [5"] - At the end of an activation in which it did not run or fail a charge, this model can advance up to 5", then its activation ends.
- Advance Deployment - Models with advance deployment are placed after normal deployment and may be placed up to 6" further forward.
- Pathfinder - This model treats rough terrain as open terrain while advancing. While charging, slam power attacking, or trample power attacking, this model does not stop its movement when it contacts an obstacle.
- Stealth - Ranged and magic attacks targeting this model from a point of origin greater than 5˝ away automatically miss. This model is not an intervening model when determining line of sight from a model more than 5˝ away.
Thoughts on Croe's Cutthroats
Croe's Cutthroats in a nutshell
The Cutthroats are a serious harrassment unit, with advance deployment, stealth, pathfinder and able to move 11" in a turn and shoot in the middle of that. Their mobility makes them a significant threat and a serious problem. However, in matchups where they can't get a back strike, they struggle as their stats are poor and they depend heavily on Backstab.
Combos & Synergies
- Anything that can let them get into the enemy's back arc. Exulon Thexus or other casters with Telekinesis are ideal.
- Greygore Boomhowler & Co. in The Kingmaker's Army - Boomhowler threatening the backs of the enemy via ambushing is not what anyone wants to see.
- Any ranged damage buff. With backstab they start to hit hard enough to hurt heavies.
Drawbacks and Downsides
- Unless they are at least threatening their backstab bonus they are strictly mediocre. Many armies can do this by counter-deploying to their side of the board with something less valuable and running at them.
- Incoming fire has right of way - and they die heavily to blasts.
Tricks and Tips
- Remember that Croe does not have the officer rule. As such, when he dies, he simply field promotes with one of the grunts. Croe's special ability in Mk1 was the ability to replace any of his unit, having had them die instead of him. Mk2 had field promotion rules so they just took out Croe's special rules and say that he replaces one of his unit.
How can I include this model in my army?
Mercenaries are a bit more complicated than regular faction models, they can be taken in one of three different ways.
- This model can be included in a pure Mercenary army.
- This model can be included in the following Faction armies:
- This model can be included in the following theme forces:
Rules Clarification : Croe's Cutthroats