| Countercharge - When an enemy model advances and ends its movement within 6" of this model and in its LOS, this model can immediately charge it. This model can use Countercharge only once per round and not while engaged.
|| Edit description
Rules Clarification: : Countercharge (Edit)
Warning: This is a long one.
| Triggering Countercharge
- What does trigger Countercharge
- Admonition triggers off any advance, not just in-activation stuff.
- You can trigger Countercharge during your own turn, if your opponent has an ability to move during your turn (such as Admonition).
- Standing still but changing facing is an advance.
- What doesn't trigger Countercharge
- Aiming, or forfeiting your movement, is not advancing.
- If a model doesn't move, doesn't change facing, doesn't aim ... does nothing but skips straight ahead to its Combat Action, this is not an advance. (Infernal Ruling)
- Being placed (such as Teleport) is not an advance.
- Involuntary movement (being slammed, thrown, or pushed) is not an advance.
- Even when an entire unit is moving, countercharge is triggered per model. So you can countercharge after any models of the unit had finished his move within range, but you can only countercharge the model who finished its movement. You can't "save it" until the unit finishes moving and then say "I'm going to Countercharge the first guy you moved."
What can your opponent do?
- Once you trigger countercharge, your opponent cannot use a "Any Time" ability until the countercharge is fully resolved. Even though it's their turn.
- They can trigger their own abilities from your movement (such as Admonition) and/or your attack (such as Shock Field).
Attacks & Boosting
- You only get one attack when making a countercharge, regardless of how many initials you normally have.
- You can't spend fury/focus to boost it, or buy additional attacks afterwards. Because you're only allowed to do spend fury/focus during your own activation.
- The charge attack damage is only boosted if the Countercharger moved 3" or more, as with a regular charge.
After the Countercharge
- You cannot use any abilities that trigger on "during activation" or "during combat action" (such as Sprint) after a Countercharge, as Counter Charge is not an activation. Closed thread
Enemy "Skipping" their movement
- If your opponent 'forgets' to move their model and didn't declare they're forfeiting movement (they just said "I'm activating this model and making an attack") then do they count as moving or not?
- Technically the rules don't have a default condition for this, and it becomes a Sportsmanship issue for you to sort out with your opponent.
- However, the Judges document (which is used to run all official PP events) states that the model officially counts as "Advancing 0 inches" and thus will trigger Counter Charge. Most players follow the Judges document for casual play as well.
Unit with countercharge
- This applies to Zaadesh2 with Scarab Packs
- Each model in the unit has its own individual countercharge. They don't have to all countercharge at the same time, and only the specific model within 6" of the trigger will be able to countercharge.
- If a model is out of formation, it won't be able to countercharge (since it is unable to move out of his normal movement).
- If a model starts in formation but the countercharge movement takes it out of formation, it won't be able to make the charge attack (but will engage).
- If several models in the same unit want to countercharge the same model, you fully resolve the counter charge of the first, including the attack, before starting the counter charge of the other(s).
- If the unit commander countercharges such that the other models become out of formation, they immediately lose the ability to trigger countercharge (because out-of-formation models can't move).
- Countercharge vs. Admonition (etc) ( Edit )
- You can trigger Countercharge during your own activation - if a model with Admonition (or similar) uses it to (try to) move away.
- You move, they trigger admonition and move, you trigger countercharge off their admonition-move.
- In this scenario you may boost Countercharge attacks and trigger only-during-activation effects (such as Critical Shred & Sustained Attack) exactly as if you were in your activation (because you are).
- Also, you can potentially get two charge attacks (one for your normal charge, one for the counter charge).
- Countercharge plus Admonition
- If a model has both CC and Admonition, it can trigger both at the same time. A model moves nearby, it admonitions away, then countercharges back in.
- Countercharge vs Slipstream ( Edit )
- Both these abilities trigger at the same time (end of movement). The active player then resolved his first.
- This can let the Slipstream model place something to block the Countercharge model.
- Assault vs Countercharge ( Edit )
- With reference to the Activation Timing (Apdx A), Countercharge occurs at Step 5, and Assault occurs at Step 5 for independent models and Step 6 for units. (Infernal Ruling about the Step 6)
- So, if a model with Assault finishes its charge movement within range of a model with Countercharge then...
- If it's an independent model then you need to resolve the Assault shot before making the Countercharge move. This is because both abilities occur at the same time but active player effects are resolved first.
- But if it's a model belonging to a unit, then you need to resolve the Countercharge immediately, then finish moving the rest of the unit, then start Assault shots.
- Countercharge & Cavalry ( Edit )
- A model with Countercharge and Cavalry can make Impact Attacks during the countercharge. (Refer "Charges Outside of Activation" in the rulebook).
If someone with Countercharge charges you, do not try to avoid them by using Admonition or Enliven. If you Admonition away they'll be able to trigger Countercharge/slam during their own activation and, not only will you fail to avoid them, they'll end up getting //two// charge attacks against you (a free countercharge attack, and after that is resolved they finish resolving their interrupted charge attack)
This category has the following 3 subcategories, out of 3 total.
Pages in category "Countercharge"
The following 15 pages are in this category, out of 15 total.