Constance Blaize, Knight of the Prophet
Constance Blaize, Knight of the Prophet
Constance Blaize is a resolute champion of Morrow who leads her Precursor Knights into battle against the unholy terrors that threaten all of mankind. Her greatest foes are the sprawling nightmare empire of Cryx and the vile servants of the dark god Thamar. Empowered by her faith, Blaize fights for her god and her nation with fervor inspired by the holy ascendants she reveres.
- 1 Basic Info
- 2 Thoughts on Constance Blaize, Knight of the Prophet
- 3 Other
|See also How to Read the statblock|
- Sun Spear - 2" reach, P+S 13 melee weapon.
- Mercenary - Will work as a Cygnar Partisan . Unlike other Merc warcasters, she doesn't need to be in a 2+ caster game.
- Warcaster - All warcasters come with a stack of standard special rules - most notably being awesome.
- Partisan [Cygnar] - When included in a Cygnar army, this model/unit is a Cygnar model/unit instead of a Mercenary model/unit.
- Animosity [Thamarite or Undead] - This model can't be included in the same army as a Thamartie or Undead model.
- Blessing of Morrow - Undead models in Constance's CTRL suffer a penalty to their damage rolls.
- Flank [Morrowan] - This model gains +2 to hit and +d6 damage for melee attacks vs enemy models in the melee range of other Morrowan models.
Crusader's Call - Cost 3
- Friendly Faction models beginning a charge in the caster's control range gain +2" for that charge. Lasts for one turn.
Flashing Blade - Cost 1, Range Self
- The caster immediately makes one basic attack with one of its melee weapons against each enemy model in its LOS that is in the weapon's melee range. These attacks are simultaneous.
Radiance of Morrow - Cost 2, Upkeep
- While in Blaize's CTRL range during their activation, other friendly non-warcaster Morrowan models can spend Constance's focus to boost their attacks.
Repudiate - Cost 2, 10" range, Offensive spell that does zero damage to model hit
- All animi/upkeep spells on the target hit expire. Also, if an upkeep expires, the model controlling it takes d3 points of damage.
Sunburst - Cost 3, 10" range, 3" AOE, POW 13
- The blast damage only applies only to enemies. Also, it causes RFP.
Feat : Divine Intervention
1) When a friendly living Faction warrior model is destroyed by an enemy attack or collateral damage from an enemy attack while in Blaize's CTRL range, Blaize gains the destroyed model's soul token. 2) While in her CTRL range, friendly Faction warrior models gain +1 ARM for each soul token on Blaize. 3) When Blaize replenishes her focus during your next Control Phase, replace each soul token on her with 1 focus point, then Divine Intervention expires.
Thoughts on Constance Blaize, Knight of the Prophet
Constance Blaize, Knight of the Prophet in a nutshell
Blaize has a fairly unorthodox play style in Cygnar: she runs an infantry brick, favoring high ARM troops and Morrowans. This army asks your opponent if they can deal with 40-50 high ARM bodies. Problem is Cygnar's list for such infantry units is fairly short: Stormblade Infantry with their UA, plus the Storm Lances. On top of that, Precursor Knights are the only in-faction units with the Shield Wall order, but their threat range lags behind the SW-capable units of other factions, plus they are completely mage-static, eliminating the possibility to use Cygnar's most common ARM buff, Arcane Shield. She also brings RFP spell and upkeep removal which are rare in both Mercenaries and Cygnar.
Ideally you march a large mass of infantry towards the enemy. On the turn which you expect to be hit, feat. Your opponent will be forced to choose between killing you or not. If they attack, Connie will mass up a large volume of souls and your army will become progressively harder and harder to kill until their progress grinds to a halt. The coming counter attack will allow Constance to move up protected by a large stack of focus from the souls she collected in the previous turn. She can use her wealth of focus to slaughter whatever is near her with Flashing Blade/Flank or have her Morrowan models boost with Radiance of Morrow. On the other hand, if your opponent chooses to withhold the attack, you should have a mostly intact army ready to kill 'em all anyway.
A common mistake players make is to take low ARM models to feed her souls for more focus post-feat. Intentionally losing bodies and attacks is not a good strategy in a game of attrition, though using a unit of Press Gangers as a throwaway unit that must be killed first to protect the rest of her army is an effective tactic.
- Crusader's Call - The movement buff of this spell can affect your entire army. The extra range can be devastating. Typically, after your feat you should be in a good position to charge, this spell will let you engage harder.
- Flashing Blade - This spell is potentially devastating to enemy formation. Connie spends more or less the entirety of the game pushing the frontlines. At some point the opportunity to cast this spell should arise. Don't get greedy, make sure you have some focus to survive a counter attack.
- Radiance of Morrow - There are three options you can use for this spell. Precursor Knights, Gallant, and Harlan Versh. Precursor Knight can use this spell to crack armor if they didn't manage to kill their target on a charge turn. Harlan Versh can potentially be dropping some real punishment, even at range. Finally the best choice is probably Gallant. Radiance allows him to use his own focus to buy attacks while he uses Connie's to boost.
- Repudiate - You can force an enemy to recast an upkeep, or prevent them from cycling one. Works on your own units if you need to tear off debuff spells.
- Sunburst - This spell is reasonably powerful but compared to Connie's focus pool makes it rather difficult to cast. Playing as far forward as she does, spending focus to cast attack spells can drain Constance of focus that should be used for power field. If you have an excess of focus you can't seem to spend on your feat turn, go ahead, fry 'em. Don't forget the RFP part of it too. If that takes off Typhon from table and counters its revival through Thagrosh1's feat - it worth the FOCUS investment.
Constance is an infantry caster. Her play style is very straight forward. Run high ARM infantry up the board, feat to keep them alive, cast Crusader's Call post-feat and punch back harder than she got hit. Your aim should be to overwhelm your opponent. Close the distance with the enemy using a large force of melee troops, threaten objectives. Use your feat to survive an aggressive placement on the board. Crusader's Call is the last piece of the puzzle allowing you to then charge the enemy in a long reaching charge to punish the enemy for either killing too many guys thus giving you focus or killing not enough thus giving you troops. As the lines closes together Connie should be able to put her own personal combat skill to good use, preferably under the protection of Gallant.
Only Morrowan models can benefit from Radiance of Morrow. Of which there are three choices and all should be taken with her.
- Harlan Versh, Illuminated One - boostable shooting is awesome. Especially when it comes from a solo with multiple shots rather than a warjack. If only there was more than a single model that could benefit from Radiance of Morrow at range. Fortunately he's allowed in all the theme forces, and won't fill up your "1 mercenary solo" quota in Heavy Metal due to being Cygnar Partisan.
- Gallant - It is too good to be excluded from any of her lists. A Shield guard bond, 2" reach to activate Flank from afar, spell protection and Accumulator to operate on full power with but a single focus given - it is all Blaize needs. Gallant can do a ridiculous amount of damage through Radiance of Morrow - it can use all its own focus to buy attacks while spending hers to boost, and possibly sparing the need to boost if hitting someone with an upkeep on thanks to Purgation.
- Precursor Knights - they aren't a great unit, but they benefit a lot from both her feat and from Radiance of Morrow.
Connie likes infantry. Her feat is built to keep her army alive, and none of her spells directly support jacks. Crusader's call can be exceptionally useful to add much-needed distance to charge attacks, allowing you a potential alpha strike, but otherwise, our favourite Knight wants to hang back a bit and support her army.
Cygnar theme forces
- Heavy Metal - The only theme where Precursor Knights are allowed by default; everywhere else they'll eat up your mercenary slot. While being here, you can also bring Runewood to help you with Pathfinder and accuracy, allowing you to keep the boost from Radiance on your damage rolls.
- Cyclone - Almost completely eats up your Warjack points beside Gallant, and Covering fire templates can hold back the enemy so you can solidify your control of the board. It also require no focus to do it's job effectively.
- Long Gunners - outside Harlan, her lists tend to be woefully low on ranged firepower. Though she offers no ranged support in any form, Long Gunners can amend this weakness.
- Storm Division - With her animosity rule, there's no room for Acosta, but as mentioned above, Cygnar's sturdiest warriors can be requisitioned here.
Mercenary Theme Forces
- The Irregulars - There are expensive high-ARM mercenary troops, most notably the Forge Guard, and cheaper rank-and file troops (Steelheads) but other Merc casters (Damiano or Ossrum) tend to run them much better.
Drawbacks, Downsides, & Bad Match-Ups
- For an infantry caster, she offers no DEF buff, no ARM buff outside her feat, and very limited movement, hitting power or accuracy boost.
- She has to play forward without having the durability to pull it off.
- Her success depends on spell casting, and soul gathering during her feat - making her susceptible to a lot of bad match-ups.
- Playing into Lamentation or Arcane Suppression will leave her barely enough focus to cast Crusader's Call, or have anything for her troops to use with Radiance.
- Armies like Cryx are adept at soul collecting; Soul Trappers and Harrowers gathering the souls before she does, and basically shutting down her feat. Mordikaar or Zaal2 is a one-man counter to any list Connie might bring.
- Any form of RFP effect will leave no soul token behind to be collected.
- Fixed damage dealing attacks (Anatomical Precision, Sniper, Corrosion, Puncture, etc.) get around her units' ARM bonus. The feat also won't be triggered on non-attack related damages, like electro leaps.
- She is simple to predict and has no sneaky tricks. She also lacks personal agency in the late game.
Tricks & Tips
- Combined with Flashing Blade and long reach, you can potentially cut down a small handful of infantry, even in Shield Wall.
- Flashing Blade is not an attack per se - you can still cast it even if you sacrificed your Combat Action.
- It's situational, but sometimes it is better to forfeit your Combat Action (and give up charge movement and your initial attack) then cast Flashing Blade rather than spend focus to Shake knockdown.
- Originally released in the Warmachine: Wrath expansion (2011)
Warjacks she can take
When Constance is fielded in a Cygnar force, she can only take Cygnar jacks. When Constance is fielded in a Mercenary force, she can only take the following jacks:
|Mercenary Warjacks (Edit)|
|Light||Buccaneer - Renegade (Magnus only) - Talon - Vanguard|
|Heavy|| Freebooter - Mangler - Mariner - Mule - Nomad - Rover - Toro|
Gallant - Rocinante
Cygnar's Themes for any-and-all casters (Edit)
- Gravediggers - (Article) (Category)
- Heavy Metal (Article) (Category)
- Sons of the Tempest - (Article) (Category)
- Storm Division - (Article) (Category)
Other Faction models
Rules Clarification : Feat: Divine Intervention
| * The "Damage Type: Magical" is not inherited by "secondary" damage from a weapon. That is, stuff like arcs (Electro Leap) or hazards (Scather). (Infernal Ruling)
| Resolving the attack|
Under this heading, the word "Thresher" is used interchangeably for "Flashing Blade" and "Cyclone" too
Flashing Blade only