Constance Blaize, Knight of the Prophet
Constance Blaize is a resolute champion of Morrow who leads her Precursor Knights into battle against the unholy terrors that threaten all of mankind. Her greatest foes are the sprawling nightmare empire of Cryx and the vile servants of the dark god Thamar. Empowered by her faith, Blaize fights for her god and her nation with fervor inspired by the holy ascendants she reveres.
- 1 Basic Info
- 2 Thoughts on Constance Blaize, Knight of the Prophet
- 3 Other
|See also How to Read the statblock|
Weapons and Attacks
- Sun Spear - 2" reach, P+S 13 melee weapon.
- Mercenary - will work for Cygnar.
- Warcaster - This model comes with a bunch of special rules, most notably being really awesome at everything.
- Partisan (Cygnar) - When included in a Cygnar army, this model/unit is a Cygnar model/unit instead of a Mercenary model/unit.
- Animosity (Thamarite or Undead) - This model can't be included in the same army as Thamarite or Undead.
- Blessing of Morrow - Undead models in Constance's CTRL suffer a penalty to their damage rolls.
- Flank [Morrowan] - This model gains +2 to hit and +d6 damage for melee attacks vs enemy models in the melee range of other Morrowan models.
- Crusader's Call - Cost 3
- Friendly Faction models beginning a charge in the caster's CTRL range gain +2" for that charge. Lasts for one turn.
- Flashing Blade - Cost 1, Range Self
- The caster immediately makes one basic attack with one of its melee weapons against each enemy model in its LOS that is in the weapon's melee range. These attacks are simultaneous.
- Radiance of Morrow - Upkeep spell which lets other Morrowans spend Constance's focus to boost their attacks.
- Repudiate - Cost 2, 10" range, Offensive
- All animi/upkeep spells on the target hit expire. Also, if an upkeep expires, the model controlling it takes d3 points of damage.
- Sunburst - Average range, and POW spell with a small AOE. The blast damage only applies only to enemies. Also, it causes RFP.
Feat : Divine Intervention
When a friendly living Faction warrior model is destroyed by an enemy attack or collateral damage from an enemy attack while in Blaize's control range, Blaize gains the destroyed model's soul token. While in her control range, friendly Faction warrior models gain +1 ARM for each soul token on Blaize. When Blaize replenishes her focus during your next Control Phase, replace each soul token on her with 1 focus point, then Divine Intervention expires.
Thoughts on Constance Blaize, Knight of the Prophet
Constance Blaize, Knight of the Prophet in a nutshell
Blaize runs an infantry brick favoring high ARM troops and Morrowans and asks your opponent if they can deal with 40-50 high ARM bodies. Her play style is very straight forward. Run high ARM infantry up the board, feat to keep them alive, cast Crusader's Call post-feat and punch back harder than she got hit. She also brings removed from play and upkeep removal which are rare in both Mercenaries and Cygnar.
Thoughts on when & how to best use her feat and spells
Ideally you march a large mass of infantry towards the enemy. On the turn which you expect to be hit, feat. Your opponent will be forced to choose between killing you or not. If they attack, Connie will mass up a large volume of souls and your army will become progressively harder and harder to kill until their progress grinds to a halt. The coming counter attack will allow Constance to move up protected by a large stack of focus from the souls she collected in the previous turn. She can use her wealth of focus to slaughter whatever is near her with Flashing Blade/Flank or have her Morrowan models boost with Radiance of Morrow. On the other hand, if your opponent chooses to withhold the attack, you should have a mostly intact army ready to kill 'em all anyway.
A common mistake players make is to take low ARM models to feed her souls for more focus post-feat. Intentionally losing bodies and attacks is not a good strategy in a game of attrition.
- Crusader's Call - The movement buff of this spell can affect your entire army. The extra range can be devastating. Typically, after your feat you should be in a good position to charge, this spell will let you engage harder.
- Flashing Blade - This spell is potentially devastating to enemy formation. Connie spends more or less the entirety of the game pushing the frontlines. At some point the opportunity to cast this spell should arise. Don't get greedy, make sure you have some focus to survive a counter attack.
- Radiance of Morrow - There are three options you can use for this spell. Precursor Knights, Gallant, and Harlan Versh. Precursor Knight can use this spell to crack armor if they didn't manage to kill their target on a charge turn. Harlan Versh can potentially be dropping some real punishment, even at range. Finally the best choice is probably Gallant. Radiance allows him to use his own focus to buy attacks while he uses Connie's to boost.
- Repudiate - You can force an enemy to recast an upkeep, or prevent them from cycling one. Works on your own units if you need to tear off debuff spells.
- Sunburst - This spell is reasonably powerful but compared to Connie's focus pool makes it rather difficult to cast. Playing as far forward as she does, spending focus to cast attack spells can drain Constance of focus that should be used for power field. If you have an excess of focus you can't seem to spend on your feat turn, go ahead, fry 'em.
Typical Army & Strategy
Constance is a infantry caster. Your aim should be to overwhelm your opponent. Close the distance with the enemy using a large force of melee troops, threaten objectives. Use your feat to survive an aggressive placement on the board. Crusader's Call is the last piece of the puzzle allowing you to then charge the enemy in a long reaching charge to punish the enemy for either killing too many guys thus giving you focus or killing not enough thus giving you troops. As the lines closes together Connie should be able to put her own personal combat skill to good use, preferably under the protection of Gallant.
Only Morrowan models can benefit from Radiance of Morrow. Of which there are three choices and all should be taken with her.
- Harlan Versh, Illuminated One - boostable shooting is awesome. Especially when it comes from a solo with multiple shots rather than a warjack. If only there was more than a single model that could benefit from Radiance of Morrow at range.
- Gallant - with Constance Blaize, Gallant can do a ridiculous amount of damage. Gallant gets its first Focus from Power Up. Its second from Affinity. And she gives it one. Then Gallant uses all its own focus to buy attacks while spending hers to boost.
- Precursor Knights - they aren't a great unit, but they benefit a lot from both her feat and from Radiance of Morrow.
Connie likes infantry. Her feat is built to keep her army alive, and none of her spells directly support jacks. Crusader's call can be exceptionally useful to add much-needed distance to charge attacks, allowing you a potential alpha strike, but otherwise, our favorite Knight wants to hang back a bit and support her army.
Obviously, with her animosity rule, there's no room for Ragman, Alexia, or even Acosta. Her flank with Morrowans means that she'd really, really like you to play the Precursor Knights and Gallant with her. A decent choice to fill her warjack points is a Cyclone. Covering fire templates can hold back the enemy so you can solidify your control of the board, it also require no focus to do it's job effectively.
She doesn't directly support any ranged infantry, so any self-sufficient unit can fit the bill; Arcane Tempest Gun Mages (and the Gun Mage Captain Adept) do a fine job without any real support. Long gunners don't fare as well, as they tend to require a little help to really get going.
Drawbacks, Downsides, & Bad Match-Ups
- She is considered on the weak side for Cygnar and Mercenary warcasters mostly because there are only three other Morrowan things running around, and while Versh and Gallant are fine, Precursors leave something to be desired. One Morrowan ranged unit will change this.
- She kind of wants to play forward, but isn't durable enough to pull it off.
- Soul Takers can effectively shut down her feat by gathering the souls before she does. Especially ones that get up close and personal like Soul Trappers and Harrowers. Soul collection is based on proximity, so the closest model with Soul Taker has priority, however, not many models have Soul Taker abilities that extend beyond their melee or CMD range. Watch out for the ones that do.
- Remove From Play effects stop her soul collection. Anatomical Precision and Sniper effects get around her ARM bonus. She can have a pretty lousy feat turn with such effects on the table.
Tricks & Tips
- Combined with flashing blade and long reach, you can potentially cut down a small handful of infantry, even in shield wall.
- Flashing Blade is not an attack per se - you can still cast it, if you sacrificed your combat action to get up from Knockdown. It is situational, but if you do not need your combat action (for a charge, for example), it costs only 1 fury; just as many as to shake off KD.
How can I include this model in my army?
Mercenaries are a bit more complicated than regular faction models, they can be taken in one of three different ways:
- This model can be included in a pure Mercenary army.
- This model can be included in the following Faction armies:
- Cygnar Partisan (Unlike most merc casters, you don't need a 2+ caster game because she counts as a Cygnar caster)
- This model can be included in the following theme forces:
What warjacks can this model take?
When Constance is fielded in a Cygnar force, she can only take Cygnar jacks. When Constance is fielded in a Mercenary force, she can only take the following jacks:
|Mercenary Warjacks (Edit)|
|Light||Buccaneer - Renegade (Magnus only) - Talon - Vanguard|
|Heavy|| Freebooter - Mangler - Mariner - Mule - Nomad - Rover|
Gallant - Rocinante
- Originally released in the Warmachine: Wrath expansion (2011)
Other Faction models
Since this model is a partisan, we have omitted displaying the indices (because it'd take up half the page to display everything that is in two full factions). Refer the links instead:
Rules Clarification : Feat: Divine Intervention
| Resolving the attack|
Under this heading, the word "Thresher" is used interchangeably for "Flashing Blade" and "Cyclone" too
Flashing Blade only