Commander Dalin Sturgis
Commander Dalin Sturgis is a master duelist who believes in leading his troops from the front lines. Nimble and deadly, he has honed his impressive combat skills to lend support to his warjacks and soldiers even as he surges across the battlefield delivering death with his twin-bladed mechanikal staff. Commander Sturgis rends his foes with a flurry of precisely targeted blades before disappearing in a flash of arcane light to track down his next opponent.
- 1 Basic Info
- 2 Thoughts on Sturgis1
- 3 Other
|See also How to Read the statblock|
Weapons and Attacks
- Hand Cannon - 12" range, POW 12 gun
- Blade(Left) - 2" reach, P+S 13 melee weapon.
- Blade(Right) - 2" reach, P+S 13 melee weapon.
- Warcaster - This model comes with a bunch of special rules, most notably being really awesome at everything.
- Chain Attack: Flash - If this model hits the same target with both of its initial melee attacks, afterwards it can be placed a short distance away.
- Relentless Charge - This model gains Pathfinder while it is charging.
- Reversal - When this model is missed by a charge attack or power attack, the attacking model is knocked down.
- Snap Strike - When this model spends Focus/Fury to make an additional attack, it can make one additional attack with each melee weapon.
- Arcane Shield - Upkeep spell which gives a faction model/unit a decent ARM buff.
- Convection - Cost 2, range 10, POW 12 offensive spell. When Convection destroys a living enemy model, you can give 1 focus point to a warjack in the spellcaster's battlegroup that is in its control range.
- Lightning Storm - Average range, small AOE spell that does electrical damage with a low POW. The AOE remains in play for a round and does electrical damage to anyone walking around in it.
- Snipe - Upkeep spell, target model/unit's ranged weapons gain +4 RNG.
- Teleport - RNG SELF spell that allows the spellcaster to be placed completely within a reasonable range. Then its activation ends.
Feat : Dead on Arrival
Enemy non-warcaster, non-warlock models in Sturgis' control range are pushed 3" directly towards Sturgis in the order you choose. Then enemy models within 3" of Sturgis suffer a POW 12 magical damage roll. These damage rolls are simultaneous. For each model destroyed by Dead on Arrival, you can allocate 1 focus point to a warjack in Sturgis' battlegroup in his control range.
Thoughts on Sturgis1
Commander Dalin Sturgis in a nutshell
Sturgis is a jack of all trades, with a decent assassination threat range of 17" (although this requires an at least semi-cooperative opponent as you are going to need to get a flash in there as well as your feat) and who has a collection of support spells and a feat that can either help with the assassination or can bring your opponent closer to you.
Thoughts on when & how to use his feat and spells
His feat has two roles. To bring the enemy into charge range to ensure your army gets the alpha strike, or to clear models out of the way for an assassination run.
- Arcane Shield - This spell is best cast on a model/unit with multiple wounds and/or a high ARM score, to make them even less susceptible to low-POW weapons. It's not very useful on low-ARM, single-wound units because all that changes is your oppenent needs 5s to kill them instead of 3s ... big whoop.
- Convection - This spell is used rarely, despite the focus regain. With Sturgis's low FOC you'll need to boost either the attack or damage, meaning it's lower yield than first appears.
- Lightning Storm - The hazard from this is great to control your opponent's movement options. Land it near rough terrain or similar, to further curtail them.
- Snipe - This spell is best used on a ranged unit - possibly cycled.
- Teleport - This spell is best used to get Sturgis out of dodge after he's charged forward into melee.
Typical Army & Strategy
His main win condition is attrition, relying on getting the alpha strike with the feat. He also is good enough in melee to assassinate the enemy, if the chance presents itself.
With as generic a spell list as Sturgis has, anything at all works well with him.
- Trencher Chain Gun Crew - dragging enemies into walls of fire can get rid of them fast. Also the Cyclone and the Stormwall.
- Lanyssa Ryssyl, Nyss Sorceress - 2" extra charge range helps.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- With good reason Sturgis is compared to Commander Coleman Stryker, Lieutenant Allistair Caine, and Lord Commander Stryker although he isn't any of them and has a much less clear game.
- The Flash part of his assassination requires that the enemy survive the first hit. For fairly obvious reasons this means that it's not always that easy. And without Flash and without his feat his assassination threat is only 11" - not enough to qualify him as an assassin.
Tricks & Tips
Comparison to Mk2
Pretty much the exact same model
- Originally released as part of the 2013 Kickstarter project for Warmachine: Tactics. Backers got a limited-edition sculpt.
- The non-limited edition version of the sculpt is available through PP's online store, under the "PP Exclusives" section.
- As of November 2016, Sturgis rules have not been published in any anthology books.
- Sturgis' epic form is Cryx warcaster Sturgis the Corrupted.
Other Cygnar models
|Cygnar - Theme Forces (Edit)|