|For more info on why we're moving to a new server, check out the Brief History section on the new main page, and/or listen to episode 45 of the LOS podcast|
| If you have made an edit within the last month or so, please check the new server and see if it was copied by the autobot. |
You may need to copy-paste your work to the new server manually. Sorry.
As little as surface dwellers know of the cephalyx, they know even less about the subterranean race's cruel overlords. These dark beings project an alien menace as they hover in the shadows and mentally direct lesser cephalyx in enigmatic errands. That overlords control cephalyx society seems clear, though the details of their hierarchy remains as mysterious as their telepathic communication. With their bulbous and distended heads protected behind smooth shells of leather and brass with multiple glowing eyes, overlords appear even more inhuman than their slaver counterparts.
|See also How to Read the statblock|
- Prosthetic Blade - 1" reach, P+S 11 melee weapon.
- Pathfinder - This model treats rough terrain as open terrain while advancing. While charging, slam power attacking, or trample power attacking, this model does not stop its movement when it contacts an obstacle.
- Stealth - Ranged and magic attacks targeting this model from a point of origin greater than 5˝ away automatically miss. This model is not an intervening model when determining line of sight from a model more than 5˝ away.
- Mercenary - Will work as a Cryx Partisan
- Partisan [Cryx] - When included in a Cryx army, this model/unit is a Cryx model/unit instead of a Mercenary model/unit.
- Selective - this model can only be included in a Mercenary force that is using a Cephalyx theme.
- Anatomical Precision - When this model's melee damage roll fails to exceed the ARM of the living model hit, that model suffers 1 damage point. A model disabled by a melee attack made by this model cannot make a Tough roll.
- Magic Ability [ 7 ] - This model can use its Combat Action to cast spells. Offensive spells are a (★ Attack) and friendly spells are a (★ Action).
- Influence (★ Attack) - 10" range, magic attack that does no damage. Take control of target enemy non-warcaster, non-warlock warrior model hit. The model immediately makes one basic attack, then Influence expires. A model can be affected by Influence only once per turn.
- Psychic Assault (★ Attack) - Range Spray 8 POW 12 Magic Attack. This attack ignores LOS.
- Veteran Leader [Drudge] - While in this model's CMD range, other friendly Drudge models gain +1 to attack rolls.
Thoughts on Cephalyx Overlords
Cephalyx Overlords in a nutshell
Cephalyx Overlords have three uses:
- A nasty spray to kill enemy infantry.
- Influence (which is situational but can be awesome).
- And most importantly Veteran Leader (if you're using them in a Merc force; in a Cryx force it tends to be their least important use).
If you're using them in a Mercenary force, you'll be using the Operating Theatre theme and so you'll be able to get at least one unit of Overlords for free (although two free units is possible).
Combos and Synergies
Drawbacks and Downsides
- The Selective rule means that, unlike most Mercenary units, these guys:
- Cannot be taken in a pure Mercenary force (out of theme)
- Cannot be taken in a Faction theme force, even if it allows "up to one Mercenary unit."
- Basically, if you purchase these models, the number of different lists you can potentially field them in is much smaller.
- Paper mache armor; POW 11 hits kill them on average damage rolls.
- If your opponent has "spot removal" tools, they can snipe out the Overlords before they achieve anything useful.
Tricks and Tips
- Keep the unit spread out and mixed in with the Drudges. That bonus really helps.
- Given that you can cast spells in melee, you'll often be better using a Pyschic Assault spray than you would a single melee attack.
- It depends on who is in your face, though - sometimes that Anatomical Precision bonus can be game-changing.
- Originally released in Warmachine: Legends (2008)
- Black Industries (Article) (Category)
- Dark Host (Article) (Category)
- The Ghost Fleet (Article) (Category)
- Infernal Machines (Article) (Category)
- Scourge of the Broken Coast (Article) (Category)
- Slaughter Fleet Raiders (Article) (Category)
- Note: When taken in a Black Industries force, they don't count against your "up to one merc" allowance.
Other Faction models
|Warcasters|| Captain Bartolo - Captain Damiano - Cognifex - Drake MacBain - Exulon - Fiona - Magnus1 - Magnus2|
Requires a 2+ caster game.
|Other Controllers||Raluk Moorclaw (Marshal) - Rorsh & Brine (Lesser Warlock) - Wrongeye & Snapjaw (Lesser Warlock)|
|Warjacks, Warbeasts, & Monstrosities||The mercenary battlegroup members you can include in a Cryx army depends entirely on what type of model is commanding them. There are too many permutations to list here, please refer to one of the model entries above for full details of what it can take.|
|Mercenary Units, Solos, & Battle Engines|
|Units||Press Gangers - Sea Dog Deck Gun - Sea Dog Pirates & CA & WA - Steelhead Halberdiers - Steelhead Heavy Cavalry - Steelhead Riflemen|
|Solos|| Ogrun Bokur - Swamp Gobber Raiders