Mercenary Character Unit
The Dog Company is one of the oldest and most respected mercenary companies in western Immoren. Under the leadership of Samantha MacHorne, a former pistoleer, sometime mechanik, and full-time gambler, the Devil Dogs hire themselves out as the best professional anti-warjack unit gold can buy.
| Captain Sam MacHorne & The Devil Dogs
| Base Size
| Unit Size
- Slug Gun - 4" range, POW 14 ranged weapon.
- Net - 4" range, AOE 3 ranged weapon, causes no damage.
- Cumbersome - This model cannot attack with this weapon and with another weapon on the same activation.
- Knockdown - When a model is hit by an attack with this weapon, it becomes knocked down.
- Pick Axe - 1" range, P+S 10 melee weapon.
- Hand Cannon - 12" range, POW 12 ranged weapon.
- Stun Sword - 0,5" range, P+S 10 melee weapon
- Entire Unit
- Grunts only
- Sam only
- 'Jack Marshal - All 'jack marshals share the same set of special rules, which basically amount to: This model is not a warcaster but may control a warjack.
- Officer - This model is the unit commander even if the unit has a Leader model.
- Drive : Reposition [5"] - While in this model's CMD range, a warjack under its control gains Reposition [5"]. (Reposition [5"] - At the end of an activation in which it did not run or fail a charge, this model can advance up to 5", then its activation ends.)
- Iron Sentinel - While B2B with a friendly Faction warjack, this model gains +2 DEF and ARM and cannot become knocked down.
Thoughts on Captain Sam MacHorne & The Devil Dogs
Captain Sam MacHorne & The Devil Dogs in a nutshell
In the fluff, the Devil Dogs specialize in knocking down warjacks and ripping them apart piece by piece and this is reflected in their rules. The Dogs are an expensive unit with an odd mix of fluffy abilities that don't quite make up for their lack of survivability. The slug gun and nets are ultra short ranged and they don't have native assault. They are effectively weapon masters against constructs but only POW 10 with the melee weapons, and their threat range is 10" shooting or charging. They die like Steelhead Halberdiers, cost more than 50% more and aren't that much more effective, if at all. Leading the crew is Sam Machorne, who is priced like a solo and is also a 'jack marshal, which is supposed to encourage you to spend even more points on this squishy little package.
Combos & Synergies
- Magnus the Traitor - he can snipe them to give them a much larger threat range and they can knock him down to make him feign death.
- Snipe, and Dead Eye affects both nets and slug guns.
- Captain Jonas Murdoch - Go To Ground and Assault between them are exactly what the doctor ordered for the Devil Dogs. They are tailor made to be in Cygnar with Jonas where they can get Snipe and Deadeye with assault and protection from blasts.
- The High Reclaimer and an Attendant Priest get their knockdown into interesting places; from 4" away that knockdown net physically can't miss.
- The Vessel of Judgment (and an Attendant Priest) can let them knock down models in the enemy turn (via doors) - and they can't stand up on the turn they were knocked down.
Jacks to Marshall
- Talon: Cheap as chips, and now worth more than chips! It's fast as the dogs, and can make your target stationary, so it's much easier for the dogs to shoot it. Also it has enough Arm, and boxes to keep the attacking jack from tearing the dogs apart. With the "Crush" marshal ability, it's melee strikes can cause some serious hurt.
- Freebooter: With Chain-attack: Grab & Smash, it can use the Marshal bonus from "Strike True" thrice, and dogs can make its target knocked down. WIth the Crush order the Freebooter can get three PS16 Weaponmaster attacks that autohit. Whereas the Talon supports the Dogs, the Dogs normally support the Freebooter.
- Buccaneer: Same as the Talon, but doesn't hit as hard, and is squishier. The dogs doesn't need Knockdown as much as in mk2, so it's better to go with a Talon.
- Mangler: Expensive, but charges for free, have 2 basic melee attacks, and can hit multiple targets with Thresher. With the "Crush" marshal ability, it wrecks faces!
- Mule: Mid-sized aoe means lots of damage rolls that benefit from the "Take aim" marshal ability. Also reposition means you can retreat to safety after shooting.
- Rover: Lots of initial attacks, great ARM, and a Shield Guard for Sam. Good with "Strike True" or "Crush".
- Nomad: A solid beatstick is what it is, but the dogs have the punching power on their own.
- Mariner: Smaller aoe than the Mule, but it needs a model to reload, and Sam needs a bodyguard for Iron Sentinel.
Drawbacks and Downsides
- Not so great against warbeasts.
- Without defensive buffs they die to basically anything.
- If you don't want a unit of jack-dismantlers and a jack marshal solo you are overpaying for something.
- 'Jack marhsalling without power boost is very poor
- They work best in Cygnar, but aren't allowed in any themes.
Tricks and Tips
- With the net, you can trigger Feign Death on Magnus.
- Under Jonas Murdoch: When assaulting a medium or larger base, get the first Dog Base-to-Base with the target and the other dogs at maximum Melee. When the first dog throws his net it will not deviate, which will knock down the target and himself but not the other Dogs. The other Dogs hit with their guns on anything but snake eyes and autohit their melee attacks.
- Circle and Skorne both have a bevy of high arm Constructs which the Devil Dogs are excellent at removing.
- Nearly everything in Convergence is a construct.
Other Merc models
Rules Clarification : Cumbersome - None yet. (Edit)
Rules Clarification : Knockdown (Edit)
- Knockdown (Edit) - Remember, knockdown only prevents what it says it does. Refer to the Knockdown page for a recap of what a model can/can't do.
Rules Clarification : Stall (Edit)
- Remember, stationary only prevents what it says it does. Refer the recap on stationary for what models can/can't do.
Rules Clarification : 'Jack Marshal (Edit)
- Marshals can take character jacks (unlike in Mk2). (Closed thread)
- Although they never get the Power Up bonus, a marshaled warjack can gain focus via other means (such as Accumulator, Empower, Spirit Harvester, etc).
- They can do this even after the Marshal dies and they become autonomous (unlike in Mk2).
- 'Jack Marshal & Ranking Officer (Edit)
- If a Ranking Officer joins a unit with the 'Jack Marshal ability, then they can still only take Mercenary warjacks - they don't gain access to Faction warjacks. (Infernal Ruling)
- They can control that mercenary warjack as normal, even though they're technically no longer the same faction as the jack. (Infernal Ruling)
Rules Clarification : Officer (Edit)
- Even if they're not on the Officer's card, an Officer can give (and benefit from) any non-standard orders that are on the unit's card (such as Shield Wall). Refer main rulebook.
- When the Officer dies, the Leader model becomes the new Unit Commander (you don't get to choose).
- But if your unit doesn't include a Leader model, then you do get to choose any of the remaining models to be the new Unit Commander. You don't swap the model, but it may be worth putting a token down so you can tell that grunt apart.
Rules Clarification : Drive (Edit)
- If the Drive is on an Officer model, and that model dies, then the new unit commander does not inherit the Drive.
Rules Clarification : Reposition (Edit)
- Models out of formation cannot move via Reposition. Refer to the "Out of Formation" rules in the core rulebook.
- You cannot trigger abilities that occur "at the end of activation" (such as Sprint) after resolving Reposition, because your activation has ended. Click here for a detailed explanation
- You cannot trigger abilities that occur "at any time" (such as Go To Ground) during a Reposition. Because you can't trigger it while moving, and after moving your activation has ended.
- This holds true even if it's a unit with multiple Reposition moves. (Infernal Ruling)
Rules Clarification : Iron Sentinel - None yet. (Edit)