Captain Sam MacHorne & The Devil Dogs
|For more info on why we're moving to a new server, check out the Brief History section on the new main page, and/or listen to episode 45 of the LOS podcast|
| If you have made an edit within the last month or so, please check the new server and see if it was copied by the autobot. |
You may need to copy-paste your work to the new server manually. Sorry.
The Dog Company is one of the oldest and most respected mercenary companies in western Immoren. Under the leadership of Samantha MacHorne, a former pistoleer, sometime mechanik, and full-time gambler, the Devil Dogs hire themselves out as the best professional anti-warjack unit gold can buy.
- 1 Basic Info
- 2 Thoughts on Captain Sam MacHorne & The Devil Dogs
- 3 Other
|Captain Sam MacHorne & The Devil Dogs|
|Unit Size||6 / 10|
|Cost||12 / 18|
|See also How to Read the statblock|
- Slug Gun - 4" range, POW 14 ranged weapon.
- Net - 4" range, 3" AOE, gun that does no damage.
- Pick Axe - 1" reach, P+S 10 melee weapon.
- Mercenaries - will work as a Cygnar mercenary or Protectorate of Menoth mercenary.
- Grunts only
- Sam only
- 'Jack Marshal - All 'jack marshals share the same set of special rules, which basically amount to: This model is not a warcaster but may control a warjack.
- Officer - This model is the unit commander even if the unit has a Leader model.
- Drive : Reposition [5"] - While in this model's CMD range, a warjack under its control gains Reposition [5"]. (Reposition [5"] - At the end of an activation in which it did not run or fail a charge, this model can advance up to 5", then its activation ends.)
- Iron Sentinel - While B2B with a friendly Faction warjack, this model gains +2 DEF and ARM and cannot become knocked down.
Thoughts on Captain Sam MacHorne & The Devil Dogs
Captain Sam MacHorne & The Devil Dogs in a nutshell
In the fluff, the Devil Dogs specialize in knocking down warjacks and ripping them apart piece by piece and this is reflected in their rules. The Dogs are an expensive unit with an odd mix of fluffy abilities that don't quite make up for their lack of survivability. The slug gun and nets are ultra short ranged and they don't have native assault. They are effectively weapon masters against constructs but only POW 10 with the melee weapons, and their threat range is 10" shooting or charging. They die like Steelhead Halberdiers, cost more than 50% more and aren't that much more effective, if at all. Leading the crew is Sam Machorne, who is priced like a solo and is also a 'jack marshal, which is supposed to encourage you to spend even more points on this squishy little package.
However, if you can deliver a few of them them, they will knock down a whole lot of stuff.
Combos & Synergies
- Magnus the Traitor - he can snipe them to give them a much larger threat range and they can knock him down to make him feign death.
- Snipe, and Dead Eye affects both nets and slug guns.
- Captain Jonas Murdoch - Go To Ground and Assault between them are exactly what the doctor ordered for the Devil Dogs. They are tailor made to be in Cygnar with Jonas where they can get Snipe and Deadeye with assault and protection from blasts.
- The High Reclaimer and an Attendant Priest get their knockdown into interesting places; from 4" away that knockdown net physically can't miss.
- The Vessel of Judgment (and an Attendant Priest) can let them knock down models in the enemy turn (via doors) - and they can't stand up on the turn they were knocked down.
- Advancing them behind Trencher Infantry in Llaelese Resistance is one way to deliver them with few casualties thanks to Major Harrison Gibbs granting the Trenchers Reposition 3" so they can back up behind their clouds.
- They can also knock down your Llaelese warrior models near Gibbs (or Gibbs himself) for Feign Death if necessary.
Jacks to Marshall
- Talon: Cheap as chips, and now worth more than chips! It's fast as the dogs, and can make your target stationary, so it's much easier for the dogs to shoot it. Also it has enough Arm, and boxes to keep the attacking jack from tearing the dogs apart. With the "Crush" marshal ability, it's melee strikes can cause some serious hurt.
- Freebooter: With Chain-attack: Grab & Smash, it can use the Marshal bonus from "Strike True" thrice, and dogs can make its target knocked down. WIth the Crush order the Freebooter can get three PS16 Weaponmaster attacks that autohit. Whereas the Talon supports the Dogs, the Dogs normally support the Freebooter. Best used with Captain Shae who lets it charge free.
- Buccaneer: Same as the Talon, but doesn't hit as hard, and is squishier. The dogs doesn't need Knockdown as much as in mk2, so it's better to go with a Talon.
- Mangler: Expensive, but charges for free, have 2 basic melee attacks, and can hit multiple targets with Thresher. With the "Crush" marshal ability, it wrecks faces! This is the best choice in The Irregulars theme force.
- Mule: Mid-sized aoe means lots of damage rolls that benefit from the "Take aim" marshal ability. Also reposition means you can retreat to safety after shooting.
- Rover: Lots of initial attacks, great ARM, and a Shield Guard for Sam. Good with "Strike True" or "Crush".
- Nomad: A solid beatstick is what it is, but the dogs have the punching power on their own.
- Mariner: Smaller aoe than the Mule, but it needs a model to reload, and Sam needs a bodyguard for Iron Sentinel.
Drawbacks and Downsides
- Not so great against warbeasts.
- Without defensive buffs they die to basically anything.
- If you don't want a unit of jack-dismantlers and a jack marshal solo you are overpaying for something.
Tricks and Tips
- With the net, you can trigger Feign Death on Magnus.
- Under Jonas Murdoch: When assaulting a medium or larger base, get the first Dog Base-to-Base with the target and the other dogs at maximum Melee. When the first dog throws his net it will not deviate, which will knock down the target and himself but not the other Dogs. The other Dogs hit with their guns on anything but snake eyes and autohit their melee attacks.
- Circle and Skorne both have a bevy of high arm Constructs which the Devil Dogs are excellent at removing.
- Nearly everything in Convergence is a construct.
Released in Warmachine: Escalation (2004)
|Cygnar (Edit)||Protectorate of Menoth (Edit)|
Other Mercenary models