Captain Kara Sloan
Captain Kara Sloan goes to war as a one-woman rifle brigade. When focused on the destruction of her foe, every warjack she commands becomes linked to the pull of her rifle’s trigger to unleash a barrage of unparalleled accuracy and power simultaneously. Armed with her custom magelock rifle, she walks into the most vicious of firefights without hesitation and always emerges the victor.
- 1 Basic Info
- 2 Thoughts on Captain Kara Sloan
- 3 Other
|See also How to Read the statblock|
Weapons and Attacks
- Spitfire - 14" range, POW 12 gun.
- Sword - 0.5" reach, P+S 8 melee weapon that you hope to never use.
- Warcaster - This model comes with a bunch of special rules, most notably being really awesome at everything.
- True Sight - This model ignores clouds for LOS, and ignores Stealth always.
- Field Marshal [True Sight] - Warbeasts/warjacks in this model's battlegroup gain True Sight.
Feat - Firing Squad
Sloan immediately casts Fire Group without spending focus. Additionally, Sloan and models in her battlegroup beginning their activation in her control range can make one additional ranged attack during their activations. Firing Squad lasts for one turn.
- Dust to Dust Cost 2, 10" range, POW 12
- If an enemy warrior model is boxed by this spell, they are RFP'd and replaced with a 3" AOE cloud that lasts for one round.
- Fire Group - Battlegroup models in the caster's CTRL area gain a small RNG buff on their guns for one turn.
- Guided Fire - Cost 3
- Battlegroup models in the caster's control range gain boosted ranged attack rolls for one turn.
- Refuge - Upkeep spell that lets a friendly Faction model get a free move at the end of their activation, if they hit an enemy during that activation. This move ignores free strikes.
- Return Fire - Cost 1, 6" range
- Target Friendly Faction model can make a free basic melee or ranged attack after an enemy targets them with a ranged attack and that attack resolves. It expires after the attack is resolved or after one round.
Thoughts on Captain Kara Sloan
Captain Kara Sloan in a nutshell
Kara became from one of Cygnar's most neglected caster to the epitome of a gunline caster. She wants to shoot her opponent off the table with her battlegroup from a long way away. While Sloan doesn't mulch infantry to the same degree as either versions of Caine, she typically brings a few high quality shots in the form of Defenders, Hunters and sometimes Chargers to the table to annihilate enemy armour. Her Field Marshal ability means the enemy can do very little to hide from her.
She is one of five Cygnaran battlegroup warcasters:
- Captain Allison Jakes - speed and fast melee hit and run
- Captain E. Dominic Darius - brawl and win the attrition game
- Captain Kara Sloan - shoot the enemy to pieces
- Captain Jeremiah Kraye - Run and Gun shooter
- Artificer General Nemo & Storm Chaser Finch - fully loading battle group backed up by shooting.
This one is much like Haley1's feat, tailored to your battlegroup. In its mechanics it is pretty self-explanatory; you and your jacks like shooting, and you will do it even more efficiently than usual. Remember, it only grants you an additional ranged attack, so jacks and colossals with multiple weapons won't get to fire all their guns again. Watch out for quick enemies, who will try to force you to pop your feat early. With Reinholdt and your feat you have excellent chances to shoot pretty much any warcaster you can get line of sight on. If going for assassination, remember to remove Shield Guards, models eligible for Sucker! or Sacrificial Pawn, and other means, which would waste your shots.
- Dust to Dust - with barely enough focus for your other spells, and an extremely accurate, magical ranged attack, that surpasses this one in every aspect, it is easy to forget that zap at all. Quite a corner-case, but it RFPs models, so sometimes it worth to consider. Like, you want to give the coup de grace for a badly damaged Typhon to prevent his revival with Thagrosh 1's feat.
- Fire Group - with pre-measure, you can calculate well, when you need it. Don't forget, it extends your gun's range as well, giving a total threat range of 22".
- Guided Fire - that might seem like a no-brainer, but do your math, whether or not you'll actually need it. Since your jacks can use their power-up focus to boost, sometimes you better spend it elsewhere. It is also good to enable boosted shots for yourt jacks, if they become disrupted, for example, after the feat of Nemo1.
- Refuge - You might want to cast it early and upkeep it - but only if there is a nice place out of line of sight or behind a wall you can move back to. Just remember that this can leave you without any focus if you've been casting Guided Fire and Fire Group. Between your Field Marshal and Refuge, it can also be used to snipe out flanking, stealthy solos (like Deathstalkers)to get closer to enemy lines.
- Return fire - that will be your second rarely used spell on your card. As the attack happens outside of your activation, it cannot be boosted, save for an attack roll for a ranged attack from your battelgroup member, if you cast Guided Fire already. Theoretically, you could use it on elusive solos with high damage output, like the Gun Mage Captain Adept, or the Arcane Tempest Rifleman, to retaliate for half-measures in removing them, but the short range of the spell makes it extremely unlikely. And arc nodes rarely find their ways to Sloan's list either.
Her typical strategy is to wait for the enemy warcaster to stick his head out, then pop your feat and shoot it with everything you have.
To help with this "shoot it until it dies" strategy, she generally takes:
- Rangers. Sloan favours bringing all of the guns, so missing with any battlegroup model is disappointing. Rangers make the battlegroup even more sickeningly accurate.
- The Gun Mage Captain Adept can provide a Flare shot to further improve your accuracy. Though situational, his Shadow Fire can remove a model from blocking LOS, making it all the easier to hit the juicy targets behind.
- Sloan has an awesome gun, Reinholdt gives you another shot with Reload. I hope you see the connection.
- Being so focus-starved, bringing along Captain Arlan Strangewayes to Empower can alleviate some of the burden on Sloan. Arcane Reinforcement can also give Sloan an extra chance into Protectorate warjacks under Hymn of Passage, but it still means most of her battlegroup can't attack the important models unless you can shoot out the Choir of Menoth first.
- The Defender, the Charger and Hunter are Sloan's best friends. They both provide long ranged tech that is heightened with Fire Group. Chargers under Fire Group can also reach the range of the Hunter, and Powerful Attack makes them an excellent follow-up piece. Defender deals massive damage from far away and provides a late game melee punch if it is necessary (pray to god not to). The Hunter on the other hand provides armor piercing which is invaluable to crack heavies or evaporate solos as needed.
- Should you choose to cripple beasts or jacks rather than go for the straight up assassination, consider Lynus Wesselbaum & Edrea Lloryrr's Applied Knowledge. Alten Ashley with his precision shots can also help you to deal with beasts, and to counter repair of damaged jacks.
- The Avenger packs a powerful gun, while its Quake ability can open up lines for assassination.
- Though her army is all about her battlegroup, smart enemies will try to jam her as soon as possible. To counter that, you might want to consider cheap and/or self-sufficient troops to screen your lines. Steelhead Halberdiers, Sword Knights are for a bargain, while Silver Line Stormguard help you fending off early charges. Storm Lances are also excellent, self-sufficient units, however, they might tie down way too many points, that you would rather spend on your battlegroup.
Drawbacks, Downsides, & Bad Match-Ups
- Sloan provides very little support for any models outside of her battlegroup besides killing or softening up targets for them.
- She has no effective counter to spells or feats that prevent models being targeted by ranged attacks such as Submerge or Swamp Pit. She's also vulnerable for Lamentation, making it impossible to use both of her key spells at once.
- In many turns you want to cast Guided Fire and Fire Group, which leaves only a single focus if you want to boost Spitfire's damage roll(s) and will leave you nothing to overboost your power field with if you do.
- It can be extremely frustrating for beginners to play against her gunline.
Tricks & Tips
- With her feat, there is some discrepancy between the first print of the physical card and the Warroom entry. Warroom is correct - make sure you're using the right version of her rules.
- Remember that Refuge triggers on a model *hit*, not on damage or destroyed. With her high RAT, unless you colossally fail a roll, you'll hit what you're aiming at.
Comparison to Mk2
Sloan used to epitomise what you wanted from a Cygnar caster...but just didn't do it very well.
- Her feat was made a lot simpler - Previously, whenever a battlegroup model hit, another model in the battlegroup could take an immediate out of activation shot (Once).
- She lost Deadeye.
- She gained Guided Fire.
- She swapped Arcane Precision for True Sight, and gained that as a Field Marshal ability too.
Cygnar generic themes (Edit)
Other faction models