Once a member of the Cygnaran military, Captain Gunnbjorn brings a unique perspective to the armies of the kriels. His formal military training and his keen mind give him a tactical approach to battle rather than the more primitive approach of overpowering brutality favored by less experienced trollkin warriors. Even the best laid plans have pitfalls, however, and when careful use of cover and terrain fail him, Gunnbjorn is quick to use his heavy bazooka to decimate enemy formations.
- 1 Basic Info
- 2 Thoughts on Captain Gunnbjorn
- 3 Other
Weapons and Attacks
- Bazooka - 12" RNG, AOE 3, POW 14 ranged weapon
- Critical Devastation - On a critical hit models hit are thrown d6" directly away from the attacker. Roll distance once for all models affected. Models thrown do not deviate. Move models furtherest from the attacker first. Instead of suffering blast damage, models hit but not directly hit suffer non-blast damage equal to half the weapon's POW. Collateral damage is equal to half the weapon's POW.
- Axe - 0.5" RNG, P+S 11 melee weapon
- Warlock - All warlocks come with a stack of standard special rules - most notably being awesome.
- Tough - When this model is disabled, roll a d6. On a 5 or 6, remove 1 damage point from this model; it is no longer disabled and becomes knocked down. While knocked down this model loses Tough.
- Field Marshal [Kill Shot] - Warbeasts/warjacks in this model's battlegroup gain Kill Shot. (Kill Shot - Once per activation, after killing an enemy model in melee, this model can make a free ranged attack.)
- Explosivo - Cost 1, 6" range, Upkeep
- Friendly Faction model's ranged weapons gain Magical Damage. If the affected model boxes an enemy model, center a 3" AOE on that enemy and RFP it. Models in the AOE suffer a POW 8 magical blast damage roll.
- Guided Fire - Cost 3
- Battlegroup models in the caster's CTRL range gain boosted ranged attack rolls for one turn.
- Rock Wall - Cost 2, Upkeep
- Place a wall template completely within the caster's CTRL range that isn't contacting anything else. The wall is an obstacle that provides cover.
- Snipe - Cost 2, 6" range, Upkeep
- Target model/unit's ranged weapons gain +4 RNG.
Thoughts on Captain Gunnbjorn
Captain Gunnbjorn in a nutshell
Captain Gunnbjorn is a ranged superiority warlock. Between Snipe, Guided Fire, Rock Wall, and his feat, he has a scary ranged game, to the point where Gunnbjorn can go toe-to-toe with Cygnaran shooting.
Gunny offers you a powerful option for a ranged attack army. For a faction that prides itself on melee and bricking being able to reach out and touch some one is a huge advantage. he offers you the ability to shoot up your enemy at distance them smash the remaining poor souls that were not lucky enough to die already.
Thoughts on when & how to use feat and spells
His feat is obviously best used defensively; either to stop a feat or to stop one round of incoming fire.
- Rock Wall is really useful for blocking charge lanes or providing cover.
- Guided Fire gets spammed as (functionally) free focus.
- Explosivo is very much a utility spell. You want it in case of incorporeal enemies.
- Snipe is best cast early and upkept.
Typical Army & Strategy
His main win condition is quite simply to shoot the enemy off the board. Or to use his feat for delivery of the melee models.
- The ever-present Krielstone can be hard for Gunnbjorn to charge up on turn one, but is really useful for ranged duels.
- Dire Troll Bomber - It's already a great warbeast, and loves everything Gunnbjorn does for it, up to and including the Kill Shot. And Gunnbjorn loves Snipe.
- Dozer & Smigg - They are only ever played with Gunnbjorn, but they're pretty good at killing infantry and much more focus efficient than another Bomber. And again, they love Kill Shots.
- Mountain King and Glacier King - Both have nice ranged attacks.
- Winter Troll - Actually vaguely useful with Guided Fire.
- Slag Troll - Kill Shot is just fun on a Slag Troll.
- Troll Impaler - the Impaler gives you Far Strike.
- Ice Troll - the discount Impaler is nice, and Swift Hunter lets you dive behind solid walls after shooting.
- Dire Troll Mauler - Gives you the melee hitting power and damage buff.
- Pyg Lookouts are a to hit buff, synergising well with ranged models - but with Guided Fire it's not always so necessary.
- Northkin Raiders are a nice skirmishy shooty unit that can benefit from Snipe.
- Trollkin Highwaymen - Become a pretty good unit with Snipe.
- Trollkin Fennblades - His feat is a great delivery system for fast units, keeping them safe from shooting for a turn. He doesn't have to go all ranged, and that is a good thing.
Captain Gunnbjorn and theme forces
Gunnbjorn likes a ranged battlegroup, and doesn't do that much for Band of Heroes (not that it's unplayable). He's also not a good enough beast-lock for Power of Dhunia. The other two work well.
- Kriel Company appears to be his natural home as he's a ranged warlock.
- Storm of the North gives him free upkeeps on his units - and he can even upkeep Snipe or Explosivo on a Winter Troll, Ice Troll, or Glacier King for free.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- He runs a pretty much exclusively ranged game.
- His feat is anti-ranged so in many games is near-useless.
Tricks & Tips
- Rock Wall can be really obnoxious when placed in front of a Colossal/Gargantuan, leaving nowhere for it to advance and put their base.
Note to Editors
Theme Forces this is a member of
Themes for any & all warlocks (Edit)
- Band of Heroes - (Article) (Category)
- Kriel Company - (Article) (Category)
- Power of Dhunia - (Article) (Category)
- Storm of the North (Article) (Category)
Other Trollbloods models
|Warlocks||Bloody Barnabas - Calaban - Helga - Jaga-Jaga - Lord Carver - Maelok - Midas - Rask - Sturm & Drang|
Requires a 2+ warlock game
|Other Controllers|| Lesser Warlocks: Brun & Lug - Dahlia & Skarath - Rorsh & Brine - Wrongeye & Snapjaw
|Warjacks & Warbeasts||The minion battlegroup members you can include in a Trollblood army depends entirely on what type of model is commanding them. There are too many permutations to list here, please refer to one of the model entries above for full details of what minions it can control.|
|Minion Units, Solos, & Battle Engines|
|Units||Bog Trog Ambushers - Croak Raiders - Bone Grinders - Brigands - Commandos - Razorback Crew - Slaughterhousers - Bokur & Swamp Shamblers - Gatorman Posse - Gobber Bellows|
|Solos||Mist Speaker - Bog Trog Trawler - Croak Hunter - Efaarit Scouts - Feralgeist - Witch Doctor - Gobber Tinker - Gremlin Swarm - Ogrun Bokur - Gobber Chef - Thrullg - Totem Hunter|
|Battle Engines||Meat Thresher|