Captain E. Dominic Darius
|This server will go offline in September 2018. Please migrate to our new server, Warmachine University|
|For more info on why we're moving to a new server, check out the Brief History section on the new main page, and/or listen to episode 45 of the LOS podcast|
| If you have made an edit within the last month or so, please check the new server and see if it was copied by the autobot. |
You may need to copy-paste your work to the new server manually. Sorry.
Encased in his enormous steam-powered armor, Captain Darius strides into battle like a man of iron. The most ingenious element of this walking arsenal is a drone deployment system allowing him to unleash a number of halfjacks to serve as both weapons and battlefield repair assistants. Darius and his battlegroup act in tandem to disassemble the enemy army with the precision of a well-tuned machine.
- 1 Basic Info
- 2 Analysis of Captain E. Dominic Darius
- 3 Other
|See also How to Read the statblock|
Weapons and Attacks
- Steam Cannon - 12" range, POW 14, AOE 4 gun.
- Quake Hammer - 1" reach, P+S 15 melee weapon. He apparently stole it from an Ironclad.
- Wrench - 0.5" reach, P+S 11 melee weapon.
- Warcaster - All warcasters come with a stack of standard special rules - most notably being awesome.
- Repair [d3+3] (★ Action) - This model can remove d3+3 damage points from a friendly Faction construct model in B2B.
- Repairable - This model can be repaired as if it were a construct.
- Activate Halfjack - Darius comes with a set of halfjacks. At the start of the turn, if he has fewer than three, you put one into play.
- Crane - Once per turn at any time during its activation, this model can choose one other friendly large-based or smaller model within 2" of it. You can place that model anywhere completely within 2" of its current location, and if it was knocked down, it immediately stands up unless it was knocked down this turn.
Feat: Pit Stop
Darius and the Halfjacks in his battlegroup currently in his control range can each completely repair one friendly Faction warjack with which he or it is B2B. Remove all damage from those warjacks.
- Arcantrik Bolt - Cost 2, 10" range, POW 12
- If this spell damages a warjack, it suffers stationary for one round.
- Fortify - Cost 2, 6" range, Upkeep
- Target warjack in the caster's battlegroup gains +2 ARM and cannot be knocked down, pushed or moved by a slam. This immunity is also passed to friendly models B2B with the jack.
- Full Throttle - Cost 3
- 1) Warjacks in the caster's battlegroup that start their activation in his control range can run/charge/trample/slam for free. 2) All battlegroup models gain boosted melee attack rolls while in the caster's control range. Lasts one turn.
- Jackhammer - Cost 1, 6" range
- Target model in the caster's battlegroup immediately makes one basic melee attack.
- Refuge - Cost 2, 6" range, Upkeep
- At the end of an activation in which the target friendly Faction model hit an enemy model with an attack, the affected model can make a full advance that ignores free strikes.
Darius starts the game with 3 Halfjacks solos in play.
- Unarmed - This model has no weapons.
- Construct - This model is a construct and is not a living model.
- Companion [Darius] - This model only comes with Darius, is part of their battlegroup, and if Darius dies this model is RFP'd.
- Prime Mine (★ Action) - Replace this model with a mine marker. You can have up to three mine markers in play at any time. After resolving continuous effects during your Maintenance Phase, you can detonate any number of friendly mine markers. Center a 4" AOE template on each detonated mine and remove the mine marker from the table. Models in the AOE are hit and suffer an unboostable POW 14 blast damage roll.
- Repair  (★ Action) - This model can remove 1 damage points from a friendly Faction construct model in B2B.
Analysis of Captain E. Dominic Darius
Captain E. Dominic Darius in a nutshell
Darius is a melee brawler of a warjack controller, able to toughen warjacks, to repair them, able to speed up one heavy a turn, and relatively focus efficient.
He is one of five Cygnaran battlegroup warcasters:
- Captain Allison Jakes - speed and fast melee hit and run
- Captain E. Dominic Darius - brawl and win the attrition game
- Captain Kara Sloan - shoot the enemy to pieces
- Captain Jeremiah Kraye - Run and Gun shooter
- Commander Adept Nemo & Storm Chaser Finch - fully loading battle group backed up by shooting.
Common Army & Strategy
Let's get one thing straight: Darius belongs in the Heavy Metal theme. He wants to run a swarm of big stompy jacks, and that theme is perfect for it. If you are running him in a theme, there should be an insanely good reason for having him in any other theme.
Darius likes tough melee warjacks that he can repair.
- Centurion - with full throttle, it can polarity field in the opening turns, and it's a tough and hard hitting melee jack. Fortify makes it even harder to kill
- Hammersmith - a cheap, tough, and hard hitting melee jack. Full throttle means he will definitely get his chain attack off.
- Ironclad and Ol' Rowdy are both cheap (or relatively cheap) and focus-efficient melee jacks. A boosted tremor (thanks to full throttle) can be game ending.
- Defender or Lancer are both ideal targets for Jackhammer, helping them to knock out a warjack's cortex. The former also has decent ranged capability, and the latter can actually help channelling Jackhammer to other targets.
- Stormclad - He has the longest native threat range of any Cygnar heavy, and the highest native P&S, 2 things that Darius struggles to buff.
- Stormwall or Hurricane - Cygnar's two Colossals are both extremely tough and get a lot of mileage out of Darius' feat.
He also likes support
- Sentinel - his ARM and HP boxes make him one of the toughest warcasters in the game, but the Sentinel is still useful for dissuading ranged assassination runs.
- Journeyman Warcaster - Arcane Shield is really useful for making tough jacks tougher. And he can run a Charger or a Sentinel
- Squire - vital to extending full throttle's reach and helping lessen his focus burden.
- Lady Aiyana & Master Holt - he's short on magical attacks, something Aiyana can mitigate.
- Captain Arlan Strangewayes - he hands out extra focus, and can give magical weapons to the jacks that need it. He can also repair Darius in a pinch.
- Arcane Tempest Rifleman and Gun Mage Captain Adept - with a bias toward melee jacks, these solos are tailor-made for Incorporeal and/or stealthy target removal at range.
He has little in the way of infantry support, so any self-supporting infantry works well with him.
- Sword Knights are cheap troops, and really like warjacks for Flanking
- Arcane Tempest Gun Mages help against Incorporeal model, and offer certain level of board control
- Tempest Blazers excel at harassing flanks and hunting solos
- If you bring ranged warjacks, Rangers will help them hit their targets.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- He's short on focus, since he will upkeep at least 1 spell and cast full throttle basically every turn.
- He comes with no magical attacks other than his Arcantrik bolt.
- Smart enemies won't leave many half-dead warjacks for him to repair
- He is woefully susceptible to SPD debuffs.
- You have an order of activation issue if you plan to Full Throttle and Jackhammer (which will only be on one turn).
- Grievous wounds stop his feat dead in its tracks, as well as the repair skills of him and his halfjacks.
Tricks & Tips
- Mine markers are detonated at the end of your Maintenance phase, after resolving continuous effects. If you skipped that, no explosions for you.
- Halfjack activation comes at the end of your control phase, so Power up and allocate Focus first, if you don't want to be called out by your opponent.
- He can do so many things, it is easy to overextend him. Crane? Repair? Charge in with a Tremor? Plan ahead to make the most out of his abilities.
- Don't allocate focus to melee jacks unless you are planning on craning them in. Leaving it on Darius to Jackhammer can be far more effective. 2" extra for a heavy with the crane can be game changing.
- Full Throttle includes him as well. Also, count before casting FT; with Power up, sometimes you better save the focus elsewhere.
- Thorn has a 17 inch threat range, with jack hammer, and those attacks can be boosted!
- This would require a second arc node to be within 6" of Thorn, since he can't be arced through while engaged. This is theoretically possible, but getting it to work probably isn't worth the effort.
- Feel free to use the halfjacks as charge-lane blockers.
- Run a warjack into melee range to close the gap. Then use Jackhammer to get an unexpected sucker-punch on an opponent.
- Consider the opportunity cost of full throttle: on a heavy with 2 melee weapons, casting it is the equivalent of 4 free focus. Free charge, boosted melee on both initials, and a purchased attack with their power-up focus that is also boosted. Now multiple this across all of the warjacks he will bring, and you can see why it's his best spell.
- Originally released in Warmachine: Apotheosis (2005)
Themes for any-and-all casters (Edit)
- Gravediggers - (Article) (Category)
- Heavy Metal (Article) (Category)
- Sons of the Tempest - (Article) (Category)
- Storm Division - (Article) (Category)
Other faction models
Note to Editors