Captain E. Dominic Darius
Encased in his enormous steam-powered armor, Captain Darius strides into battle like a man of iron. The most ingenious element of this walking arsenal is a drone deployment system allowing him to unleash a number of halfjacks to serve as both weapons and battlefield repair assistants. Darius and his battlegroup act in tandem to disassemble the enemy army with the precision of a well-tuned machine.
- 1 Basic Info
- 2 Analysis of Captain E. Dominic Darius
- 3 Other
|See also How to Read the statblock|
Weapons and Attacks
- Steam Cannon - 12" range, POW 14, AOE 4 gun.
- Quake Hammer - 1" reach, P+S 15 melee weapon. He apparently stole it from an Ironclad.
- Wrench - 0.5" reach, P+S 11 melee weapon.
- Warcaster - This model comes with a bunch of special rules, most notably being really awesome at everything.
- Repair [d3+3] (★ Action) - This model can remove d3+3 damage points from a friendly Faction construct model in B2B.
- Repairable - This model can be repaired as if it were a construct.
- Activate Halfjack - Darius comes with a set of halfjacks. At the start of the turn, if he has fewer than three, you put one into play.
- Crane - Once per turn at any time, this model can move a friendly nearby model a small distance. Also, if that model was knocked down it immediately stands up.
Feat: Pit Stop
Darius and the Halfjacks in his battlegroup currently in his control range can each completely repair one friendly Faction warjack with which he or it is B2B. Remove all damage from those warjacks.
- Arcantrik Bolt - COST 2, RNG 10, POW 12 offensive spell. If a warjack is damaged by this, causes stationary for one round.
- Fortify - Cost 2, 6" range, Upkeep
- Target warjack in the caster's battlegroup gains +2 ARM and cannot be knocked down, pushed or moved by a slam. This immunity is also passed to friendly models B2B with the jack.
- Full Throttle - Cost 3
- 1) Warjacks in the caster's battlegroup that start their activation in his control range can run/charge/trample/slam for free. 2) All battlegroup models gain boosted melee attack rolls while in the caster's control range. Lasts one turn.
- Jackhammer - A model in the warcaster's battlegroup makes one basic melee attack
- Refuge - Upkeep spell that lets a friendly Faction model get a free move at the end of their activation, if they hit an enemy during that activation. This move ignores free strikes.
Darius starts the game with 3 Halfjacks solos in play.
- Unarmed - This model has no melee weapons, which means a host of options are not available to it.
- Construct - This model is a construct and is not a living model.
- Companion: (Darius) - This model only comes with Darius, is part of their battlegroup, and when Darius dies it leaves play.
- Prime Mine (★ Action) - Replace this model with a mine. You can blow mines up during your Maintenance Phase to cause high blast damage to nearby models.
- Repair  (★ Action) - This model can remove 1 damage points from a friendly Faction construct model in B2B.
Analysis of Captain E. Dominic Darius
Captain E. Dominic Darius in a nutshell
Darius is a melee brawler of a warjack controller, able to toughen warjacks, to repair them, able to speed up one heavy a turn, and relatively focus efficient.
He is one of five Cygnaran battlegroup warcasters:
- Captain Allison Jakes - speed and fast melee hit and run
- Captain E. Dominic Darius - brawl and win the attrition game
- Captain Kara Sloan - shoot the enemy to pieces
- Captain Jeremiah Kraye - Run and Gun shooter
- Commander Adept Nemo & Storm Chaser Finch - fully loading battle group backed up by shooting.
Common Army & Strategy
Darius likes tough melee warjacks that he can repair.
- Centurion - with full throttle it can polarity field in the opening turns, and it's a tough and hard hitting melee jack
- Hammersmith - a cheap, tough and hard hitting melee attack that really likes getting its chain attack off
- Avenger has some ranged game, as well as the same threat-range, as the Centurion.
- Ironclad and Ol' Rowdy are both cheap (or relatively cheap) and focus-efficient melee jacks. A successful Tremor will leave most of your targets exposed to the follow-up attacks from your force. They also work well with Fortify; if you happen to end up in B2B with friendly models in a combat, use Tremor without fear to knock your own troops down.
- Defender or Lancer are both ideal targets for Jackhammer, helping them to knock out a warjack's cortex for sure. The former also has decent ranged capability, and the latter can actually help channelling Jackhammer to other targets.
- Stormclad - tough melee warjack with a decent threat range.
- Stormwall or Hurricane - Cygnar's two Colossals are both extremely tough and get a lot of mileage out of Darius' feat.
He also likes support
- Sentinel - his ARM and HP boxes make him some of the toughest warcaster in the game, but the Sentinel is still useful for catching stray cannonballs, or disruption bolts.
- Journeyman Warcaster - Arcane Shield is really useful in a game of brawlers. And he can run a Charger or a Sentinel
- Squire - extra focus and control area.
- Lady Aiyana & Master Holt - he's short on magical attacks, something Aiyana can mitigate.
- Captain Arlan Strangewayes - also a good source of magic attacks, even though he can cast in on a single warjack only.
- Arcane Tempest Rifleman and Gun Mage Captain Adept - with a bias toward melee jacks, these solos are tailor-made for Incorporeal and/or stealthy target removal at range.
He has little in the way of infantry support, so any self-supporting infantry works well with him.
- Sword Knights are cheap troops, and really like warjacks for Flanking
- Arcane Tempest Gun Mages help against Incorporeal model, and offer certain level of board control
- Tempest Blazers excel at harassing flanks and hunting solos
- If you bring ranged warjacks, Rangers will help them hitting their targets.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- He's short of focus for all the things he usually wants to do with his battlegroup.
- He comes with no magical attacks other than his Arcantrik bolt.
- Smart enemies won't leave many half-dead warjacks for him to repair
- He is woefully susceptible to SPD debuffs.
- You have an order of activation issue if you plan to Full Throttle and Jackhammer (which will only be on one turn).
- Grievous wounds stop his feat dead in its tracks, as well as the repair skills of him and his halfjacks.
Tricks & Tips
- Halfjacks are detonated at the end of your Maintenance phase, after resolving continuous effects. If you skipped that, no explosions for you.
- Halfjack activation comes at the end of your control phase, so Power up and allocate Focus first, if you don't want to be called on (rightfully) by your opponent.
- He can do so many things, it is easy to overextend him. Crane? Repair? Charge in with a Tremor? Plan forward to make the most out of his abilities.
- Don't allocate focus to melee jacks unless you are planning on craning them in. Leaving it on Darius to Jackhammer can be far more effective. 2" extra for a heavy with the crane can be game changing.
- Full Throttle includes him as well. Also, count before casting FT; with Power up, sometimes you better save the focus elsewhere.
- Thorn has a 17 inch threat range, with jack hammer, and those attacks can be boosted!
- Feel free to use the halfjacks as charge-lane blockers.
- Running a warjack into melee range to close the gap. Then use Jackhammer to get an unexpected sucker-punch to an opponent.
- Originally released in Warmachine: Apotheosis (2005)
Cygnar generic themes (Edit)
Other faction models
Note to Editors