Captain Bartolo Montador
Captain Bartolo Montador
Loud, bombastic and bigger than life, Bartolo 'Broadsides Bart' Montador has used his beloved cannons and warjacks to win fame and admiration with audacity, skill, and charisma. Though jovial and magnanimous, Bart truly is a bloody-minded, ruthless combatant who carries a legitimate letter of marque signed by the Ordic king. Few captains walk the delicate line between pirate and privateer with as much style as Broadsides Bart.
- 1 Basic Info
- 2 Thoughts on Captain Bartolo Montador
- 3 Other
|Captain Bartolo Montador|
|See also How to Read the statblock|
- Ace - 8" spray, POW 12 ranged weapon.
- Red Tide - 0.5" reach, P+S 14 melee weapon.
- Mercenary - In a 2+ caster game, he can work as a Cryx mercenary, Cygnar mercenary, Khador mercenary, and Protectorate of Menoth mercenary.
- Warcaster - All warcasters come with a stack of standard special rules - most notably being awesome.
- Tough - When this model is disabled, roll a d6. On a 5 or 6, remove 1 damage point from this model; it is no longer disabled and becomes knocked down. While knocked down this model loses Tough.
- Blood-Quenched - This model gains a cumulative +1 STR and ARM for each living enemy model it destroys with a melee attack during its activation. This bonus lasts for one round.
- Overtake - When this model destroys one or more enemy models with a basic melee attack during its Combat Action, after the attack is resolved it can immediately advance up to 1".
Batten Down the Hatches - Cost 3
- While in the caster's CTRL range, models in its battlegroup cannot be knocked down and gain +3 ARM, but suffer -2 DEF. Batten Down the Hatches lasts for one round.
Broadside - Cost 3
- Models in the caster's battlegroup currently in its CTRL range can immediately make one basic ranged attack. Broadside can only be cast once per activation.
Deadweight - Cost 2, 8" range, POW 12
- When Deadweight destroys an enemy living or undead model, choose an enemy model within 2" of it. The chosen model must forfeit either its Normal Movement or its Combat Action during its next activation as its controller chooses.
Hot-Shot - Cost 2, 6" range, Upkeep
- Target model in the caster's battlegroup gains boosted ranged attack damage rolls.
Powder Keg - Cost 3, 8" range, 5" AOE, POW 15
- On a critical hit, models hit lose their initial attacks and cannot make power attacks or special attacks for one round.
Feat : Typhoon
Advancing enemy models that end their movement in Montador's CTRL range become Knocked Down. While in Montador's CTRL range, enemy models suffer -2 to attack rolls. Typhoon lasts for one round.
Thoughts on Captain Bartolo Montador
Captain Bartolo Montador in a nutshell
Bart asks your opponent if they can deal with a very high ARM force and the most powerful single model in the game (An ARM 22 Galleon with boosted damage rolls on all its ranged attacks.). Most armies can't, but more than a few can. He either crushes the opposing force or gets rolled.
Typhoon amounts to a big bubble of area denial. Combined with Batten, it allows you to push into the board center, armor up against shooting, and deny entry to any opposing model that lacks knockdown immunity. If the opposing force has no Steady models, they are left in a weak scenario position, and usually set up to get charged by your entire army. If they can't be knocked down, you don't have much of a feat.
- Batten Down the Hatches - This is cast almost every turn to withstand incoming shooting and keep the attrition swing in your favor once the lines close.
- Broadside - Most of the time you will be casting Batten and handing out focus. Rarely, you will run Galleon and cast this to drag something in to its doom, or use this to get that one last shot you need to put you into winning position.
- Deadweight - Every once in awhile this spell provides a chance to keep your Galleon safe from an opposing heavy or colossal.
- Hot-Shot - This spell is best used on a Galleon and is the main source of Bart's focus efficiency turning a 1 focus upkeep into multiple boosted damage rolls.
- Powder Keg - This is a a useful tool when you have incorporeal models to deal with or are facing a ton of infantry. With Sylys and a boost to hit, it can potentially stop an opposing colossal from making initial attacks, and AOE 5 can catch a lot of targets. Enemy infantry will have to bunch up to take out your warjacks, which may just make you want to cast this to help Galleon with the AOE hate.
Typical Army & Strategy
Bart brings a Galleon for Hot Shot and as many other warjacks as he can squeeze into his army, casts Batten 9 turns out of 10 and hands out the rest of his Focus. His feat (usually) buys his army a turn free from melee retaliation. He then hopes the Galleon blows away enough of the opposing army that his force rolls over everything. It is one of the stronger ARM skews in the game.
- Galleon Put Hot Shot on your Galleon. Bart always runs a Galleon. No exceptions.
The rest of his army will best be composed of focus-efficient warjacks, preferably with high ARM.
- Mule It has a very short ranged gun and Bart rarely casts Broadsides. Bad idea
- Rover - both a ranged attack and a shield to make Batten even more effective. However, it is expensive and Bart has a small army.
- Mariner - Bart may not have the infantry to shoot the gun since he plays so jack heavy.
- Buccaneer - Its net sets up easy drags for Galleon.
- Rocinante - Too expensive, but it gets to fire if you cast Broadsides.
- Talon - It brings lots of ARM and boxes at a bargain price and has high MAT on the charge making it an ideal pick.
- Nomad - tough and hard hitting and cheap. Part of a batten strategy.
- Freebooter - A speedy option that couples well with Talons and Buccaneers at a bargain price.
- Sylys Wyshnalyrr upkeeps Hot Shot for free allowing Bart to either hand focus out or to cycle Hot Shot while Broadsiding - or to both Broadside and Batten.
- Master Gunner Dougal MacNaile provides more AoE fun with Artillerist and double powder ration, but often not worth his points.
- Rangers from The Kingmaker's Army gives you a RAT buff which also works on Broadside shots, making it much more effective as it moves the bell curve in exactly the right place.
- The Commodore Cannon & Crew - if it wasn't Privateer caster only everyone would want one. However, since the modification to power attack rules have prevented friendly throws, it has trouble getting into position for anyone who isn't Shae.
- Some damage buff; either Lady Aiyana & Master Holt, Ragman, or Gorman di Wulfe
- Gobber Tinker or anyone else with Repair
Drawbacks & Downsides
- Anything that shuts down shooting shuts down Bart.
- If Galleon has a couple of bad shooting turns in a row, or has to spend a turn running or not shooting, he's in trouble.
- He has some trouble contesting in games where objectives or zones are spread out due to his control area.
- Blast immunity is bad news.
- Blessed weapons are bad news. Watch out for Legion and Circle.
- Immunity to knockdown or push is also bad news.
- Cavalry heavy armies can get around behind his force and put him in a bad spot.
Tricks & Tips
Released in Forces of Warmachine: Pirates of the Broken Coast (2007)
Warjacks he can take
|Mercenary Warjacks (Edit)|
|Light||Buccaneer - Renegade (Magnus only) - Talon - Vanguard|
|Heavy|| Freebooter - Mangler - Mariner - Mule - Nomad - Rover - Toro|
Gallant - Rocinante
- The Irregulars - (Article) (Category)
- The Kingmaker's Army - (Article) (Category)
- The Talion Charter - (Article) (Category)
Other Mercenary models
| * The "Damage Type: Magical" is not inherited by "secondary" damage from a weapon. That is, stuff like arcs (Electro Leap) or hazards (Scather). (Infernal Ruling)