Cygnar Mechanik Character Solo
The arcane mechanik Arlan Strangeways views every challenge in life as a puzzle with a corresponding actionable solution. He boasts to have "solved" many of his most difficult dilemmas just by swinging his enormous mechanikal wrench.
Weapons and Attacks
- Voltaic Gauntlet - 8" spray, POW 10
- Critical Disruption - On a critical hit, a warjack hit will lose all focus points. It also can't gain focus or channel spells for one round.
- Damage Type: Electricity - This weapon does electricity damage.
- Fixer - 1" reach, P+S 12 melee weapon.
- 'Jack Marshal - All 'jack marshals share the same set of special rules, which basically amount to: This model is not a warcaster but may control a warjack.
- Magic Ability [ N/A ] - This model can use its Combat Action to cast spells. Offensive spells are a (★ Attack) and friendly spells are a (★ Action).
- Arcane Reinforcement (★ Action) - A warjack in Arlan's CMD range gains magical damage for a turn.
- Empower (★ Action) - Target friendly Faction warjack in CMD range. It gains 1 focus and, if it was disrupted, it is no longer disrupted.
- Evasive Action (★ Action) - A warjack in Arlan's CMD range gains Evasive for one round. (Evasive - When this model is hit by an enemy ranged attack, afterwards it can advance 2".)
- Repair [d3+3] (★ Action) - This model can remove d3+3 damage points from a friendly Faction construct model in B2B.
Thoughts on Captain Arlan Strangewayes
Captain Arlan Strangewayes in a nutshell
Arlan is a jack supporter. Most of the time Arlan will either be dishing out a free focus or sometimes repairing a Warjack. While his other abilities are by no means bad, they are often reserved for the more niche tasks your army has to carry out.
Combos & Synergies
- Do you have a focus-starved caster? Arlan can reduce their burden.
- Even with Power Up, this still applies to most Cygnar 'casters.
- He is a good choice to make any Accumulator Warjack entirely independent of your Warcaster's focus (besides Power Up).
- Would you like to boost a damage roll on a Jack Marshalled Warjack using Crush! or Take Aim! ? Arlan is here to help you bring the pain.
- Arcane Reinforcement gives you a ranged game into the Protectorate's Choir of Menoth and their pesky Hymn of Passage.
- Siege has a few tools to bring further magical ranged attacks, too, so one more can get most if not all of your high POW ranged attacks from your Warjacks bypassing the Choir.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- His defensive stats are good, but it doesn't take too much to kill him.
- Both Repair and Empower are really nice abilities. Sadly, sometimes you will have to choose between them.
- He's normally a second choice after a jack-supporting warcaster attachment.
- He is a jack marshal who has no drives.
- He now competes with the gobber tinker, who is faster and can repair just as much as him.
Tricks & Tips
Think ahead. His low speed and the requirement of Repair to be in B2B to use means he wants to stay close to your Warjacks if you want to use it.
Comparison to Mk2
- Arlan has clearly been working on his armour, he has picked up 3 extra boxes with which to absorb damage if it happens to come his way.
- Evasive changed from ignoring Free Strikes to making a short move when hit by ranged attacks.
- The general change to Empower means he can now top up jacks, not just give out one to make that 'jack feel some love.
Other faction models
Rules Clarification : Disruption (Edit)
- If a model is disrupted, it cannot get focus for any reason. Whether the rule says 'allocate', 'gain', 'receive' or 'give' ... Disruption stops it all. (Infernal Ruling)
- Despite being unable to channel spells, a warjack can still be the target of spells just fine.
Rules Clarification : Electricity - None yet. (Edit)
Rules Clarification : 'Jack Marshal (Edit)
- Marshals can take character jacks (unlike in Mk2). (Closed thread)
- Although they never get the Power Up bonus, a marshaled warjack can gain focus via other means (such as Accumulator, Empower, Spirit Harvester, etc).
- They can do this even after the Marshal dies and they become autonomous (unlike in Mk2).
- 'Jack Marshal & Ranking Officer (Edit)
- If a Ranking Officer joins a unit with the 'Jack Marshal ability, then they can still only take Mercenary warjacks - they don't gain access to Faction warjacks. (Infernal Ruling)
- They can control that mercenary warjack as normal, even though they're technically no longer the same faction as the jack. (Infernal Ruling)
Rules Clarification : Magic Ability (Edit)
- Almost every magic ability cannot be used on the same turn you charge. Because a charge must (almost always) be followed by a melee attack.
- Using a Magic Ability counts as a spell, for effects such as Spell Ward, Witch Hunter, etc.
- Unlike with warcasters/warlocks, using a Magic Ability is not an "any time" ability. This means:
- You must complete your movement before you use a MA.
- You cannot make ranged or melee attacks on the same turn you use a MA.
- You cannot use a MA on the same turn you charge.
- (Unless, of course, the rules for the specific MA you're using say you can.)
Rules Clarification : Arcane Reinforcement - None yet. (Edit)
Rules Clarification : Empower (Edit)
- A warjack can benefit from Empower multiple times.
- A warjack cannot go over its normal focus limit (which is 3 for most jacks) as a result of Empower. Refer to the Cortex rules.
Rules Clarification : Evasive - None yet. (Edit)
Rules Clarification : Repair (Edit)
- When repairing warjacks, you can choose which damage boxes to heal - they don't all have to be the same column.