Captain Allison Jakes
The transition from journeyman to full-fledged warcaster is never easy, but Captain Allison Jakes earned her promotion through circumstances far beyond the scope of any ordinary trial. She now carries herself with the confidence of one who has seen the ravages of war, moving across the battlefield with a grace expressed through acrobatic stunts, nimble parries, and cunning dodges. Wielding a pair of swords, Jakes cuts through the opposition with a fluidity that speaks of her skill as a duelist and the innumerable hours she has devoted to mastering the art of close combat. As she advances downfield, she freely lashes her foes with deadly voltaic strikes, and those who fight alongside her find themselves moving with the speed of a swiftly approaching storm. With each new battle her reputation grows, and despite her youth she commands the respect of any fortunate enough to serve under her command.
- 1 Basic Info
- 2 Thoughts on Captain Allison Jakes
- 3 Other
|See also How to Read the statblock|
Weapons and Attacks
- Handcannon (x2) - 12" range, POW 12 guns.
- Feedback Blade - 0.5" reach, P+S 12 melee weapon.
- Electro Blade - 0.5" reach, P+S 12 melee weapon.
- Warcaster - This model comes with a bunch of special rules, most notably being really awesome at everything.
- Parry - This model cannot be targeted by free strikes.
- Acrobatics - This model can advance through other models if it has enough movement to move completely past their bases. This model ignores intervening models when declaring its charge target.
- Sprint - If this model destroys or RFPs an enemy in melee during its activation, at the end of its activation it can make a full advance, then its activation ends.
- Field Marshal [Sprint] - Warbeasts/warjacks in this model's battlegroup gain Sprint.
Feat: Power House
- Bullet Dodger - Cost 2, 6" range, Upkeep
- Faction model gains +2 DEF and Dodge. (Dodge - When an enemy misses this model with an attack at any time except when it is advancing, this model immediately advance 2" ignoring free strikes.)
- Escort - Cost 2, Upkeep
- Battlegroup warjacks activating in the caster's CTRL range gain +2" movement. Also, the caster gains +2 ARM while a battlegroup warjack is within 3".
- Lightning Storm - Cost 3, 8" range, POW 10 electrical damage to all in the AoE
The AOE remains in play for a round and does electrical damage to anyone entering or ending their turn in it.
- Positive Charge - Cost 2, 6" range
- Target friendly Faction warjack gains +2 to melee attack and melee damage rolls. Also, while within 3" of the warjack, friendly Faction models gain the same bonus. Lasts for one turn.
Thoughts on Captain Allison Jakes
Captain Allison Jakes in a nutshell
Allison Jakes is one of six Cygnaran battlegroup warcasters:
- Commander Adept Nemo - Fast melee force with loads of focus
- Captain Allison Jakes - speed and fast melee hit and run
- Captain E. Dominic Darius - brawl and win the attrition game
- Captain Kara Sloan - shoot the enemy to pieces
- Captain Jeremiah Kraye - Run and Gun shooter
- Artificer General Nemo & Storm Chaser Finch - Bring the lightning! And fully load your battle group.
Jakes blitzkriegs with warjacks. Hit hard, hit fast, and try to sprint clear for the counter-attack. Despite that, her feat and Positive Charge rewards you for combined arms approach too. Among the current themes, you should shy away only from the Sons of the Tempest, as they have very few direct synergy with her. All other lists can work very well. Her melee prowess, though not stellar, shouldn't gone unnoticed either. Of course, she's not Rhyas, but Acrobatics and Parry can lead you to normally unreachable places and angles. Screening models mean her nothing, so you can easily reach crews behind a warjack, or charge through a defensive screen. Your blades can cause all kinds of trouble,from tagging enemy warlock with Feedback damage points to unjam your own warjacks by hitting them with the Electro blade to remove chaff infantry with the leaps.
"Damn, this unit would be so nice, could it threat just a bit further!" "I'd really like to trample through these Swordsmen, but they'll thrash my jack with the free strikes." If you ever had such statements, Jakes is your caster. An increased melee range not only adds extra threat distance, but also interacts with quite a lot of rules. Engaged arc nodes can't channel. Suddenly you can give free strikes in a much bigger area. You can flush out a whole lot of Trenchers with Dig In from their cover. You can trample through infantry with no fear from free strikes. Also, units with Flank (notably Trench Busters and Sword Knights) can activate their bonus much farther than normally. Don't forget, it's an aura-like feat, so you must be in her CTRL area to use its benefits.
Jakes' army's superior mobility enables you a strong scenario pressure, while her feat can swing an attrition fight to your favour. It also enables nasty assassinations against careless opponents. Overall, keep looking for suitable targets to activate your sprint Field Marshal.
- Bullet Dodger - usually it will be on you, or on a valuable solo, like Laddermore you want to protect from shooting. Putting it on an elusive jack, like the Grenadier or the Hunter will put its DEF to absurd levels.
- Escort - One of her a bread&butter spells, you'll cast it on turn 1 and don't let it drop throughout the game.
- Lightning Storm - A board controlling Zap, but incredibly expensive for your tight focus pool.
- Positive Charge - Her second go-to spell; cast it once you want to get stuck in. As it is not an upkeep, you might want to consider an Arc Node, if you want to cast it on a jack far away from you.
- She's short on focus, and she prefers heavy melee jacks - but one Sentinel to give her the ARM buff and a Shield Guard is never a bad choice.
- Minuteman - with its ability to leap places it can be an ideal target for Positive Charge. And it can leap in, kill, and sprint away quite happily.
- Hammersmith - Possibly the greatest caster for them. Sprint helps them not get stuck far out in front after beat backing across the board, Escort fixes their speed, Positive Charge boosts further their hitting power, and feat keeps them from taking free strikes while following up and amends their short melee range. She turns this decent jack into a monster. Don't forget, it doesn't have to be under your care; save for the Escort, it gets those benefits even if it is controlled by jack marshals, like Runewood.
- Centurion - Charge in, kill, back up, then use Polarity Shield to keep a safe distance from your enemy. It can safely stay close to Jakes so she can enjoy the bonus ARM granted by Escort, whilst the extra speed allows it to keep up with her.
- Stormclad - it's got an accumulator which is a really useful ability on a melee heavy when she's focus strapped. Don't forget to bring a Storm Knight model beside to fuel it.
- Ironclad - kill someone important with your Tremor attack, then leave the rest behind with Sprint.
- Gallant, Ol' Rowdy and Thunderhead - all fare pretty well under Jakes, but they lock you out from most of the themes, so use them accordingly.
- Stormwall or Hurricane - Seemingly odd choice, but stacking Positive Charge, Escort, and Arcane Shield on a colossal is downright mean.
Really, any self-supporting infantry screen works well with her:
- Precursor Knights are not the first unit you'll look for, but with a 2" melee range during your feat they can form a surprisingly effective Shield Wall.
- Sword Knights - Cheap infantry, who are enhanced by the warjacks' presence, and even more so from Positive Charge, and her feat. If you fancy them, definitely go for the Heavy Metal theme force. If you keep them in Defensive Line, they can effectively screen you from pop&drop tricks too.
- Trencher Infantry - Unless you dug them in, they can form screen for your jacks and provide light arms fire to clear off annoying infantry which might block charge lanes or Sprint escape routes.
- Captain Maxwell Finn - The toughest man Immoren gets even tougher. Overtake and Killing spree are usually kept in check with his .5" melee range. Well, Jakes2 busts that can wide open. Entire tales are told about how many troopers Finn has killed during Jakes' feat turn and the answer is frequently "all of them." Also, a fine target for Bullet Dodger.
- Squire - an extra focus and larger control area.
- Captain Arlan Strangewayes - extra focus to hand out.
- Lanyssa - Though you can't bring her into the jack theme list, she can be included in all other. Free charges for your jacks will leave you with more focus to boost an important attack or damage roll to trigger Sprint. Add Escort's extra movement, and you can charge from downtown.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- Jakes provides very little direct support for models outside of her battlegroup.
- She can become focus strapped with large battlegroups
- For being a duelist, her personal melee package is uninspiring
- As every high DEF-low ARM caster, she is pretty vulnerable to pop-and-drop assassinations.
- Despite all her ninja-chick flicks she lacks Pathfinder, and can't provide it to her army via spells either.
Tricks & Tips
- Outside of her feat she has no Electricity immunity. If you want to throw around lightning, your best option is to bring her in the Stomr Division theme force. With a default electricity immunity, you can swing around with your Electric Blade, without fearing of arcing a lightning into your own troops.
- Many a careless caster has been shot down by a fully boosted volley from Jakes' handcannons. Not your first line of attack, but not something to forget about either.
- Sprinting past infantry prevents your jacks being charged by them, keeping them weirdly safe.
- Killings from Electro Leap (or Feedback) won't trigger Sprint, as they are not melee attacks. On the flip side they won't trigger attack-related abilities like Swift Vengeance.
- The Patrol Dog during your feat can knock down a target on a critical hit from 11" afar, and electrocute someone with the electro-leap. Who's a good boy? You are. Yes, you are, indeed.
- Jakes is the epic version of Lieutenant Allison Jakes - a solo
- We first saw the Lieutenant in the computer game Warmachine Tactics
- Originally released in Forces of Warmachine: Cygnar Command (2017)
Themes for any-and-all casters (Edit)
- Gravediggers - (Article) (Category)
- Heavy Metal (Article) (Category)
- Sons of the Tempest - (Article) (Category)
- Storm Division - (Article) (Category)
Other faction models
Rules Clarification : Feat - Powerhouse