Calandra Truthsayer, Oracle of the Glimmerwood
Fluff text (copy from PP gallery)
- 1 Basic Info
- 2 Thoughts on Calandra Truthsayer, Oracle of the Glimmerwood
- 3 Other
Weapons and Attacks
- Warlock - All warlocks come with a stack of standard special rules - most notably being awesome.
- Tough - When this model is disabled, roll a d6. On a 5 or 6, remove 1 damage point from this model; it is no longer disabled and becomes knocked down. While knocked down this model loses Tough.
- Fate-Blessed - When friendly faction models make attack or damage rolls in this model's CTRL, this model can spend 1 fury point to reroll that roll (limit 1 per roll).
- Befuddle - Cost 2, 10" range, Offensive
- On a hit, you can advance the target up to 3" without provoking free strikes. This spell cannot be cast on warcasters or warlocks, and a target can only be affected once per turn.
- Bullet Dodger - Cost 2, 6" range, Upkeep
- Faction model gains +2 DEF and Dodge. (Dodge - When an enemy misses this model with an attack at any time except when it is advancing, this model can immediately advance 2" ignoring free strikes.)
- Misfortune - Cost 3, 10" range, POW 12
- A model damaged by Misfortune becomes knocked down.
- Soothing Song - Cost 1
- Remove up to one fury point from each friendly living Faction warbeast currently in the caster's CTRL range. Soothing Song can be cast only once per activation.
- Star-Crossed - Cost 3
- For one round, enemy models in the caster's control range must roll an additional die on attack rolls and remove the highest.
Feat: Good Omens
For one turn, friendly Faction models in her CTRL area can reroll ones and twos on attack and damage rolls. Each die can only be rerolled one time as a result of Good Omens.
Thoughts on Calandra Truthsayer, Oracle of the Glimmerwood
In a Nutshell
Calandra is a solid caster who focuses on dice manipulation - and literally every possible model gets helped by dice manipulation. She can therefore run just about any army and she herself works best on close to autopilot, hidden behind a nice solid building. This can make her excellent for beginners as she doesn't have much to remember.
Her ability to make your opponent have to throw away their highest die, along with her fury control, makes her a good place to start in Trollbloods. Yes, she excelled in her excellent theme lists in Mk2, but she can easily be used in almost any list that is more beast heavy. She has a large control range so that her spells can work from a pretty good distance, allowing her to play safely. She is quite squishy and needs to stay away from the front lines.
Thoughts on when & how to use her feat and spells
Her feat makes your alpha strike bigger and better.
In an average turn, you are likely to spam Star Crossed and Soothing Song to empower and protect your army, upkeeping Bullet Dodger on Calandra herself.
Typical Army & Strategy
Her main win condition is attrition. She manipulates dice result with Star-Crossed and manages fury well with Soothing Song.
Things you take in her army to help her with this strategy are:
- The Krielstone - She is an excellent user of the Krielstone, being able to load it on turn one.
- Anything with high DEF benefits from Star-Crossed. The highest DEF available in faction is 13, and can be found in Northkin Raiders, Trollkin Highwaymen, Northkin Fire Eaters,and many more. Trollkin Champions can reach DEF 14 in melee, and Trollkin Runeshapers can reach DEF 16 with Dig In. Minions offer DEF 15 with Blythe from Dannon Blythe & Bull, and DEF 14 with Cylena Raefyll & Nyss Hunters and many solos.
- Almost anything works with her, and she's especially good if you want a lot of light warbeasts, because of her ability to run a large battlegroup due to high FURY and Soothing Song.
- Mulg the Ancient allows her to channel Befuddle - and it's an excellent spell to channel.
- Trollkin Runebearer extends her control range by 2", allowing Star-Crossed to reach more enemy models, and can also cast Befuddle in a pinch, or more often hang behind her and using Harmonious Exaltation to reduce the cost of one of her spells.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- Everyone hates playing against Calandra - dice manipulation is really obnoxious to play into.
- She is mainly a support warlock who doesn't have too many offensive capabilities. Her army does all of the lifting.
- DEF 14, ARM 14 means she needs to be protected.
- Because she works well with everything she's seldom as effective as a warlock focused on running what you want to do in specific. For infantry she's no Madrak Ironhide, Thornwood Chieftain (to pick her nearest rival) and for warbeasts she's no Doomshaper. A specialist warlock is normally better.
- Star-Crossed can make things difficult for units and unboostable attacks, but charging cavalry, boosting warbeasts and warjacks, as well as spell-casters and any RAT/MAT buff or DEF debuff can usually defeat the spell's defensive benefit.
Tricks & Tips
- She's pretty straight forward, and one of the good beginner warlocks in Trollbloods.
- Her befuddle spell allows you to choose facing after moving your target. Turn enemy models so they can't charge and you can get back strike bonuses! This works well with Trollkin Highwaymen with Braylen Wanderheart, Trollkin Outlaw, as it enables Backstab. Remember, you can use Befuddle on Battle Engines, but not Colossals or Gargantuans.
- Bring an Earthborn Dire Troll, cast Bullet Dodger on it to raise its DEF to 14, or 16 around water.
Theme Forces this is a member of
Themes for any & all warlocks (Edit)
- Band of Heroes - (Article) (Category)
- Kriel Company - (Article) (Category)
- Power of Dhunia - (Article) (Category)
- Storm of the North (Article) (Category)
Other Trollbloods models
|Warlocks||Bloody Barnabas - Calaban - Helga - Jaga-Jaga - Lord Carver - Maelok - Midas - Rask - Sturm & Drang|
Requires a 2+ warlock game
|Other Controllers|| Lesser Warlocks: Brun & Lug - Dahlia & Skarath - Rorsh & Brine - Wrongeye & Snapjaw
|Warjacks & Warbeasts||The minion battlegroup members you can include in a Trollblood army depends entirely on what type of model is commanding them. There are too many permutations to list here, please refer to one of the model entries above for full details of what minions it can control.|
|Minion Units, Solos, & Battle Engines|
|Units||Bog Trog Ambushers - Croak Raiders - Bone Grinders - Brigands - Commandos - Razorback Crew - Slaughterhousers - Bokur & Swamp Shamblers - Gatorman Posse - Gobber Bellows|
|Solos||Mist Speaker - Bog Trog Trawler - Croak Hunter - Efaarit Scouts - Feralgeist - Witch Doctor - Gobber Tinker - Gremlin Swarm - Ogrun Bokur - Gobber Chef - Thrullg - Totem Hunter|
|Battle Engines||Meat Thresher|
| * The "Damage Type: Magical" is not inherited by "secondary" damage from a weapon. That is, stuff like arcs (Electro Leap) or hazards (Scather). (Infernal Ruling)