Blighted Nyss Scather Crew
Rather than shatter walls or unleash explosives, scathers deliver dragonblight itself as a deadly liquid poison. This substance can dissolve metal, putrefy wood, or crumble stone as easily as flesh and bone. Even a few drops will inflict searing agony on a man before granting the sweet release of death. Nothing will ever grow again on ground struck by the scather.
|Blighted Nyss Scather Crew|
Weapons and Attacks
- Scather Catapult - Range 15, POW14, ROF1 AOE3 ranged weapon.
- Damage Type: Corrosion - This weapon does corrosion damage.
- Arcing Fire - When attacking with this weapon, this model can ignore intervening models except those within 1" of the target.
- Minimum Range [6"] - Attacks made with this weapon cannot target models within 6"" of this model.
- Scather - This attack's AOE remains in play for one round. Models entering or ending activation in the AOE automatically suffer a point Corrosion Damage.
- Sword - 0.5" range, P+S7 melee weapon.
- Sword - As above.
- Officer - This model is the unit commander even if the unit has a Leader model.
- Man-Sized - This model is on a large base, but is treated as being on a small one.
- Mobile Artillery - When this model moves, it gains 1" additional movement for each Grunt nearby.
- Take Up - If this model is killed you may instead remove a Grunt within 1". Remove any effects on this model, and apply any effects that were on the old grunt.
Thoughts on Blighted Nyss Scather Crew
Blighted Nyss Scather Crew in a nutshell
Not many remember, but Legion does have Artillery not named the Ravagore. The problem is, the Scather Crew is basically just a really bad Ravagore, so it's very frequently forgotten and ignored. It doesn't help that the sculpt is old, outdated, and not very good by the game's standards these days. About the only thing the Scather Crew has going for it over other ranged options in Legion is its very low price point, but you get what you pay for.
Despite the improvements made to Artillery over the years, the Scather Crew remains a redundant and dead weight option in Legion outside of a few niche/gimmick list ideas. It's far too easy to pick off and doesn't have great enough impact on higher ARM targets that prevail on the current battlefield. If you need a strong, long range gun, the Ravagore costs a lot more but will have a larger impact on the game overall.
Combos & Synergies
If you're a faction completionist and actually have one or two of these, you might have some fun with one of these ideas:
- Lylyth2 does love her guns, and is probably the most adept Legion warlock for killing infantry. A pair of Scather Crews can cover 12" of board with templates. If you brought a couple Ravagores as well, you can cover 28" of board with a screen of "your single wound dudes will not walk here" circles. Fun, but hardly practical against the more popular warjack lists you'll run into today.
- Pin Cushion is nice for them too, since they're a gun like any other.
- Saeryn1 can leverage a lot of soft control with Blight Bringer (the spell) and a couple scathers from these guys and Ravagores. Again, it's mostly a gimmick that only has traction against primarily warrior model armies.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- Flimsy defenses. Any similar range gun will explode these guys the instant they see them.
- Far outclassed by basically every other gun in Legion.
- Kind of ugly.
- Main niche is well covered in faction by better options, and not well represented in the current meta in most communities.
Theme Forces this is a member of
Other faction models
|Warlocks|| Barnabas - Calaban - Dr. Arkadius - Helga - Jaga-Jaga - Lord Carver - Maelok - Midas - Rask - Sturm & Drang|
Requires a 2+ caster game
|Lesser Warlocks||Rorsh & Brine - Wrong Eye & Snapjaw|
|Warbeasts||The minion battlegroup members you can include in a Legion army depends entirely on which minion is commanding them. There are too many permutations to list here, please refer to one of the model entries above for full details of what it can take.|
|Minion Units, Solos, & Battle Engines|
|Units||Bog Trog Ambushers - Croak Raiders - Bone Grinders - Brigands - Commandos - Razorback Crew - Slaughterhousers - Bokur & Shamblers - Gatorman Posse - Gobber Bellows Crew|
|Solos|| Mist Speaker - Trawler - Croak Hunter - Feralgeist - Witch Doctor - Tinker - Gremlin Swarm - Gobber Chef - Ogrun Bokur - Thrullg - Totem Hunter|
Agata - Eilish Garrity - Gudrun - Maximus - Rorsh & Brine - Wrong Eye & Snapjaw
|Battle Engines||Meat Thresher - Sacral Vault|