Blackbane's Ghost Raiders
|This server will go offline in September 2018. Please migrate to our new server, Warmachine University|
|For more info on why we're moving to a new server, check out the Brief History section on the new main page, and/or listen to episode 45 of the LOS podcast|
| If you have made an edit within the last month or so, please check the new server and see if it was copied by the autobot. |
You may need to copy-paste your work to the new server manually. Sorry.
The Ghost Raiders walk the ashen decks of the Atramentous as sinister blazing specters and over the centuries have reaped a terrible harvest of souls to increase their phantom ranks. When obliterated in battle, the ghosts’ curse draws their invisible essences shrieking back to the Atramentous’ endless flames. By the Dragonfather’s unending fire did their mortality end, and to that fire they will forever return.
|Blackbane's Ghost Raiders|
|MAT|| 7 Blackbane|
|CMD|| 8 Blackbane|
|Cost||8/17||1.7 per model|
|See also How to Read the statblock|
Weapons and Attacks
- Cutlass - 0.5" reach, P+S 10 melee weapon
- Entire unit
- Undead - This model is an undead model and not a living model.
- Incorporeal - This model can walk through walls, terrain, models, and just about anything else. It can't be damaged except by things which have Damage Type: Magical. When it makes a melee or ranged attack it loses Incorporeal until its next activation.
- Apparition - During your Control Phase, place this model anywhere completely within 2" of it's current location.
- Blackbane only
- Blackbane has slightly better stats and a few hitpoints
- Officer - This model is the unit commander even if the unit has a Leader model.
- Granted: Reanimation - While this model is still alive and in formation all of the unit gains Reanimation. (Reanimation - When this model kills a living enemy warrior, you RFP it and add one grunt to this unit.)
Thoughts on Blackbane's Ghost Raiders
Blackbane's Ghost Raiders in a nutshell
Blackbane's Ghost Raiders are a weird utility unit. Incorporeal to keep them alive and give them Pathfinder, and then using their reanimation ability to come back from the dead. An incorporeal unit is rare enough that Blackbane's Ghost Raiders see play to test whether the enemy brought enough magic weapons.
Combos & Synergies
- Captain Rengrave has Veteran Leader for them
- The Ghost Fleet means they can be taken to get Free Stuff.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- They become a lot less useful if Blackbane dies.
Tricks & Tips
- When giving the Run/Charge order it's frequently not worth attacking with Blackbane so the enemy can't kill him.
- Incorporeal effectively allows them to ignore free strikes from non magical weapons. (Sure they still take them - but they just phase through the weapons). Getting into the enemy's back arc is pretty common.
- Originally released in Warmachine: Legends (2008)
- Sculptor: Mauro Gnani
Other Cryx models
|Warcasters|| Captain Bartolo - Captain Damiano - Cognifex - Drake MacBain - Exulon - Fiona - Magnus1 - Magnus2|
Requires a 2+ caster game.
|Other Controllers||Raluk Moorclaw (Marshal) - Rorsh & Brine (Lesser Warlock) - Wrongeye & Snapjaw (Lesser Warlock)|
|Warjacks, Warbeasts, & Monstrosities||The mercenary battlegroup members you can include in a Cryx army depends entirely on what type of model is commanding them. There are too many permutations to list here, please refer to one of the model entries above for full details of what it can take.|
|Mercenary Units, Solos, & Battle Engines|
|Units||Press Gangers - Sea Dog Deck Gun - Sea Dog Pirates & CA & WA - Steelhead Halberdiers - Steelhead Heavy Cavalry - Steelhead Riflemen|
|Solos|| Ogrun Bokur - Swamp Gobber Raiders