Black Ogrun Iron Mongers
|This server will go offline in September 2018. Please migrate to our new server, Warmachine University|
|For more info on why we're moving to a new server, check out the Brief History section on the new main page, and/or listen to episode 45 of the LOS podcast|
| If you have made an edit within the last month or so, please check the new server and see if it was copied by the autobot. |
You may need to copy-paste your work to the new server manually. Sorry.
Iron mongers are black ogrun metalsmiths who combine their craft with rituals of blood and dark magic. The blood-forged weapons they create would be a reason enough for any captain to take iron mongers on as crew, but these ogrun are also skilled in the repair and maintenance of Cryxian ’jacks.
|Black Ogrun Iron Mongers|
|See also How to Read the statblock|
- Tool - 1" reach, P+S 12 melee weapon
- Tough - When this model is disabled, roll a d6. On a 5 or 6, remove 1 damage point from this model; it is no longer disabled and becomes knocked down. While knocked down this model loses Tough.
- Dismantle - This model gains an additional die on damage rolls vs construct models.
- Repair [d3+1] (★ Action) - This model can remove d3+1 damage points from a friendly Faction construct model in B2B.
- Leader only
- Curse (Faction warjack) - Once per activation this model can curse an enemy model/unit in CMD range. Friendly Faction warjack models gain a bonus to attack rolls vs cursed targets.
Thoughts on Black Ogrun Iron Mongers
Feel free to remove this warning if you, personally, have a good level of gameplay experience with the model, have reviewed this article, and either you A) agree with the content 100% or B) for the parts you disagree with, you don't strongly disagree; and it's more a case of differing opinions between you and previous editors rather than incorrect content / bad advice.
Black Ogrun Iron Mongers in a nutshell
Keeping Cryx warjacks in tip-top shape, these Iron Mongers are a hybrid mechanic and support unit that is reasonably competent in combat. Bringing solid defensive stats for their points and some powerful special rules to support their warjacks is key to the design of this unit.
Combos & Synergies
- Curse basically gives jacks more MAT. Combine with DEF and ARM debuffs and soon you're as synergistic as Protectorate jack support!
- Curse does not need LOS to work, so they can stay safe behind clouds, forests or your own jackwall and still potentially curse a target.
- The Black Industries Theme list encourages bringing a very large volume of warjacks, so much that you really won't be able to afford more else. Including Ironmongers allows you a way to capture circular scenario zones which usually require a warcaster in a full warjack list.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- More expensive and harder to hide than necrotechs, but with a better defensive stat line and Tough.
- Their support ability makes them tasty targets for infantry shredders, much like others such as Menoth Choir or Skorne Beast Handlers.
Tricks & Tips
- Whereas most repair crew are basic humans (or in the case of cygnar, gobbers), Cryx has Ogruns, big muscular Ogruns. Don't count these guys out in a brawl if it comes to it.
- Against constructs, these guys are extremely inexpensive weapon masters. So if someone were to spam a bunch of light jacks...
- Originally released in the Black Fleet CID (2017.11)
- Black Industries (Article) (Category)
- Scourge of the Broken Coast (Article) (Category)
- Slaughter Fleet Raiders (Article) (Category)
- The Ghost Fleet (Article) (Category)
Other Cryx models
|Warcasters|| Captain Bartolo - Captain Damiano - Cognifex - Drake MacBain - Exulon - Fiona - Magnus1 - Magnus2|
Requires a 2+ caster game.
|Other Controllers||Raluk Moorclaw (Marshal) - Rorsh & Brine (Lesser Warlock) - Wrongeye & Snapjaw (Lesser Warlock)|
|Warjacks, Warbeasts, & Monstrosities||The mercenary battlegroup members you can include in a Cryx army depends entirely on what type of model is commanding them. There are too many permutations to list here, please refer to one of the model entries above for full details of what it can take.|
|Mercenary Units, Solos, & Battle Engines|
|Units||Press Gangers - Sea Dog Deck Gun - Sea Dog Pirates & CA & WA - Steelhead Halberdiers - Steelhead Heavy Cavalry - Steelhead Riflemen|
|Solos|| Ogrun Bokur - Swamp Gobber Raiders