Black Ivan is the prized companion of Kommander Harkevich, a warcaster renowned for his ingenuity on the battlefield. Armed with a bombard and an industrial wrecking claw, Black Ivan is an unparalleled instrument of war that excels at both long-range bombardment and the brutal press of melee.
|See also How to Read the statblock|
Weapons and Attacks
- Bombard - 14" range, 4" AOE, POW 14 gun
- Arcing Fire - When attacking with this weapon, this model can ignore intervening models except those within 1" of the target.
- Bear Claw - 1" reach, P+S 16 melee weapon.
- Warjack - All warjacks share the same set of special rules. Most notably being big and stompy.
- Construct - This model is a construct and is not a living model.
- Bond: (Harkevich) - If this model begins the game in Harkevich's battlegroup, it is bonded to them. This model is not considered to be bonded while under your opponent's control. While this model is bonded to Harkevich and in their CTRL range, Black Ivan gains boosted ranged attack rolls
- Bulldoze - When this model is B2B with an enemy model during its Normal Movement, it can push that model up to 2" directly away from it. A model can be pushed by Bulldoze only once per activation. Bulldoze has no effect when this model makes a trample power attack.
- Evasive - When this model is hit by an enemy ranged attack, afterwards it can advance 2".
- Point-Blank - This model can make melee attacks with its ranged weapon, although you don't add your STR.
Thoughts on Black Ivan
Comparison to Mk2
Black Ivan lost Dodge and a small amount of DEF, giving him a more typical Khador heavy statline (in Mk2 he had the highest base DEF of any Khador 'jack). He also gained Evasive, with the net result of being easier to hit but still nearly as mobile as before. He also now also has Point-Blank, allowing him additional options in melee. He went up slightly in relative point cost.
Black Ivan in a nutshell
Black Ivan is a boosted version of the Destroyer. It has improved RAT and with Harkevich all his shots get boosted attack rolls, which is nice, but where Black Ivan is much improved over the Destroyer is in melee. Between an open fist, bulldozing, and being able to make point-blank shots, Black Ivan does not have the same difficulties the Destroyer has when it comes to choosing between melee or ranged combat. Black Ivan can have it all.
The Destroyer has one definite edge over Ivan, and that is when fighting a Gargantuan. On a critical hit, the whole branch of a Gargantuan gets filled. Against other targets, Amputation gives an average of 2,5 extra damage against beasts and jacks, while Brutal Damage delivers an average of 3,5 extra damage against anything.
Combos & Synergies
- Harkevich - obviously. If you want a Destroyer, there's no reason not to take Ivan. The difference between hardly hitting a Carnivean, and landing an accurate blow on Vlad is huge. It also gets its boost for Broadsides' out-of-activation shooting.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- Black Ivan largely doesn't fill in any hole in a Khador army that another jack couldn't fill out better.
- Only marginally better at range than a Destroyer (unless paired with Harkevich)
- At close range, Black Ivan falls behind warjacks like the Demolisher.
Tricks & Tips
- Got an enemy model in a zone that you don't like, but don't feel like killing them this turn? Bulldoze them out, and if that doesn't work pick them up and throw them the rest of the way.
Originally released in Warmachine: Wrath expansion (2011)
When taken in Harkevich's battlegroup, this model can be taken in:
When taken in someone else’s battlegroup, this model can’t be taken in theme forces.
Other faction models