There is something uniquely terrifying about the Berserker. The oldest of Khadoran warjacks still in service, the 'jacks have become unstable over the decades and are prone to charge without orders when near the frenzy of combat. Worse yet, their cortex alloys have become critically decayed and risk massive concussive overload when stimulated by arcane energy.
Rules subject to change.
This is a existing model, and the information here is the rules it had before the CID cycle.
If you wish to document the CID changes before they're finalised, please do so under the Recent Changes heading only.
|See also How to Read the statblock|
- War Axe (x2) - 1" reach, P+S 16 melee weapons.
- Warjack - All warjacks share the same set of special rules. Most notably being big and stompy.
- Construct - This model is a construct and is not a living model.
- Berserk - When this model destroys one or more models with a melee attack during its Combat Action, immediately after the attack is resolved it must make one additional melee attack against another model in its melee range.
- Unstable - This model might explode at the end of its activation if it spent 2 or more focus. Roll a d6 at the end of the turn, if the result is equal or less than the focus spent, it explodes. The explosion deals a POW 14 blast damage roll to models within 3". This model is removed from play.
- Cost went up 1 point, in an attempt to curtail players spamming them.
2018.02 Armored Korps CID
- MAT: 6, Point Cost: 8
2018.02 Armored Korps CID week 3
- Damage boxes reduced by 4 to 27
Thoughts on the Berserker
Berserker in a nutshell
Berserkers are cheap, largely disposable warjacks. They get two melee attacks with a decent P+S, with the potential to gain more via berserk. However, their low MAT means you'll want to boost to hit... and if you start spending focus there's a good chance your heavy warjack will go KABOOM.
Combos & Synergies
A Berserker loves any sort of MAT fixer that does not count as focus. This most notably includes Signs & Portents from Vlad1, Vlad2, or Vlad3 can help, but there is usually something better to cast Hand of Fate on.
People might want something cheap to soak up the rest of their points after an expensive warjack like Behemoth.
Superiority is a great fixer for them. The bonus speed and mat make getting there and doing things (like killing models) much more likely and the boost to def makes killing it much harder than first thought, putting its Def just over the curve that most jacks will want to roll 6&7's to hit. Irusk only wants at most 2 jack's and the humble Berserker will get much more out superiority than your 2nd jack to begin with (until the 'serker dies a glorious death either starting the piece trade or finally being knocked off it's pile of fallen enemies).
Vlad3 might also have a renewed interest due to his feat. Side Step and Berserk work remarkably well together on Fenris in the past. There's still the MAT problem, but side step can allow you to get deeper into enemy lines for your exploding blaze of glory.
Berserkers also love movement bonuses that apply to the entire battlegroup, to allow a large number of warjacks to make long charges without expending too many resources. Many Khador warcasters can make their whole battlegroup at least 2" faster, including Old Witch, Strakhov, Butcher2, Butcher3, Vlad1, and Karchev.
Drawbacks and Downsides
Berserk means it wants to mulch infantry... but the low MAT means you probably won't get very far without some sort of support.
Their reduced number of Cortex boxes makes them more vulnerable to targeted attacks that can easily cripple critical systems.
Tricks and Tips
Never forget that Unstable can work to your advantage. There's a lot of things that don't like taking an auto-hitting POW 14 to the face. And remember, the earth-shattering kaboom isn't a 3" AOE; it's anything within 3" of the model.
Originally released in Warmachine: Escalation (2004)
Themes for generic warjacks (Edit)
- Armored Korps - (Article) (Category)
- Winter Guard Kommand - (Article) (Category)
- Jaws of the Wolf - (Article) (Category)
- Legion of Steel - (Article) (Category)
- Wolves of Winter (Article) (Category)
Other Khador models