Originally known simply by the designation "09" by its master Sorscha, based on its allocation to her, the 'jack nevertheless gained her respect over the years proving to be a ferocious fighter. It still bears the designation 09 to this day despite having outlasted all those that came before it and many that came after it. Sorscha named the Juggernaut Beast after its timely arrival and mighty axe swings saved her life in the Llael campaign. After the invasion was complete Sorscha ordered Beast 09 to be fitted with parts from a wrecked Kodiak and be issued with an improved ice axe known as Ice Breaker. Beast 09 has picked up Sorscha's inherent ruthlessness and takes some enjoyment from each kill. Blows striking its armored hull only serve to drive it toward murder. Sorscha has found Beast 09 to be an invaluable tool, especially when outnumbered, as he always evens the odds.
|See also How to Read the statblock|
Weapons and Attacks
- Open Fist - 1" reach, P+S 15 melee weapon.
- Ice Breaker - 2" reach, P+S 19 melee weapon.
- Warjack - All warjacks share the same set of special rules. Most notably being big and stompy.
- Construct - This model is a construct and is not a living model.
- Bond: (Sorscha) - If this model begins the game in Sorscha's battlegroup, it is bonded to them. This model is not considered to be bonded while under your opponent's control. While this model is bonded to Sorscha and in their CTRL range, Beast gains Shield Guard (Shield Guard - When a friendly model within 3" is directly hit by a non-spray ranged attack, this model can be directly hit instead.)
- Hyper-Aggressive - When this model suffers damage from an enemy attack, except when advancing, after the attack it can make a full advance directly towards the attacker.
- Murderous - This model gains an additional attack die against warrior models.
Thoughts on Beast-09
Comparison to Mk2
- Beast-09's bond with Sorscha changed losing rerolls on charges and slams, to being able to shield guard.
- Lost the ability to run for free
- Murderous no longer requires focus
Beast-09 in a nutshell
Beast-09 is a super Juggernaut with a bit more reach and accuracy against warriors. It loves killing hordes of guys so much it even has Thresher to hit as many as its axe can reach in a single swing. He is essentially the big daddy to the little sister that is Sorscha.
Combos & Synergies
Like a normal juggernaut, it wants to get up close and start swinging. While it can certainly run through a heavy warjack easily, it reaches it's full potential against warriors, where being murderous lets it hit even the most evasive warriors with ease and its incredibly strong ax cuts down the best armored as if they were naked. Beast 09 is at its most effective when it is able to thresher a whole group of warriors down in a single sweep.
With Sorscha, Beast 09 has the ability to take a hit for her, which is nice to set up a hyper-aggressive move, but Beast 09 is unlikely to stay within shield guard range for long.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- Costs nearly as much as two juggernauts, which are just as good against other warjacks, if not infantry.
- Beast 09's Bond with Sorscha has conflicting interests. Beast 09 has no shooting attack, and wants to run up the field as fast as possible, so staying close to Sorscha to shield guard can be wasting a big investment, particularly with cheaper shield guards being available.
- Although you can always run him forwards anyway and just treat the Shield Guard bonus as a bonus, using it to protect someone else ...
- ... although who're you going to want to be shot less than your 21 point heavy?
- What are you going to do, take a measly POW 10 on the chin and laugh it off, to save one Winter Guard per turn?
- You can use it to trigger Hyper Aggressive, and/or save a mechanic who can repair him on your turn.
- Sorscha2 is going to have to get up close to trigger her feat effectively, so she could use a shield guard in case the dice betray you.
Tricks & Tips
- Beast 09 has one of the only 2" melee weapons available to Khador warjacks, making it ideal to threaten free strikes.
Originally released in Warmachine: Legends (2008)
When taken in Sorscha's battlegroup, this model can be taken in:
- Armored Korps - (Article) (Category)
- Winter Guard Kommand - (Article) (Category)
- Jaws of the Wolf - (Article) (Category)
- Legion of Steel - (Article) (Category)
- Wolves of Winter (Article) (Category)
When taken in someone else’s battlegroup, this model can’t be taken in theme forces.
Other faction models
| Resolving the attack|
Under this heading, the word "Thresher" is used interchangeably for "Flashing Blade" and "Cyclone" too
Flashing Blade only