|This server will go offline in September 2018. Please migrate to our new server, Warmachine University|
|For more info on why we're moving to a new server, check out the Brief History section on the new main page, and/or listen to episode 45 of the LOS podcast|
| If you have made an edit within the last month or so, please check the new server and see if it was copied by the autobot. |
You may need to copy-paste your work to the new server manually. Sorry.
Originally known simply by the designation "09" by its master Sorscha, based on its allocation to her, the 'jack nevertheless gained her respect over the years proving to be a ferocious fighter. It still bears the designation 09 to this day despite having outlasted all those that came before it and many that came after it. Sorscha named the Juggernaut Beast after its timely arrival and mighty axe swings saved her life in the Llael campaign. After the invasion was complete Sorscha ordered Beast 09 to be fitted with parts from a wrecked Kodiak and be issued with an improved ice axe known as Ice Breaker. Beast 09 has picked up Sorscha's inherent ruthlessness and takes some enjoyment from each kill. Blows striking its armored hull only serve to drive it toward murder. Sorscha has found Beast 09 to be an invaluable tool, especially when outnumbered, as he always evens the odds.
Rules subject to change.
This is a existing model, and the information here is the rules it had before the CID cycle.
If you wish to document the CID changes before they're finalised, please do so under the Recent Changes heading only.
|See also How to Read the statblock|
- Open Fist - 1" reach, P+S 15 melee weapon.
- Ice Breaker - 2" reach, P+S 19 melee weapon.
- Warjack - All warjacks share the same set of special rules. Most notably being big and stompy.
- Construct - This model is a construct and is not a living model.
- Bond [Sorscha] - If this model begins the game in Sorscha's battlegroup, it is bonded to them. This model is not considered to be bonded while under your opponent's control. While this model is bonded to Sorscha and in their CTRL range, Beast gains Shield Guard (Shield Guard - Once per round, when a friendly model is directly hit by a non-spray ranged attack during your opponent's turn while within 3" of this model, you can choose to have this model directly hit instead. This model is automatically hit and suffers all damage and effects. This model cannot use Shield Guard while it is incorporeal, knocked down, or stationary.)
- Hyper-Aggressive - When this model suffers damage from an enemy attack, except when advancing, after the attack it can make a full advance directly towards the attacker.
- Murderous - This model gains an additional attack die against warrior models.
- Immunity: Cold - This model does not suffer cold damage.
2018.02 Armored Korps CID Currently down to 18 points.
- Week 3. Gain Immunity: Cold
Thoughts on Beast-09
Beast-09 in a nutshell
Beast-09 is a super Juggernaut with longer reach and better accuracy - especially against warrior models. It loves killing hordes of guys so much it even has Thresher to hit as many as its axe can reach in a single swing. He is essentially the big daddy to the little sister that is Sorscha. Its low speed is more or less amended by its Hyper Aggressive ability, which still requires thoughtful positioning to be threatening to the enemy.
Combos & Synergies
- Beast-09 appreciates any SPD buff it can lay its axe on (Superiority, Energizer, etc.).
- Due to the prevalence of themes, it usually stars only alongside Sorscha.
- Beast-09 has Critical Freeze on its Ice Breaker, which is yet another Stationary source for Sorscha to trigger Shatter on her weapon.
- Beast is a decent target for her Boundless Charge spell, allowing it to get further with charging than with running.
- In Winter Guard Command you get quite a lot of flexibility between Shield Guard, Sacrificial Pawn and Hyper-Aggressive. With the right positioning the enemy needs to second-guess, whether his ranged attack will be intercepted by a lowly Winter Guard grunt, or will be caught by the beast's Shield Guard to trigger Hyper Aggresive. The advance move is also quite a good theme benefit.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- Costs nearly as much as two Juggernauts - and goes down as easily as one of them.
- Great against massed infantry, but has the same effectiveness against everything else, as a standard Juggernaut.
- Minor skornergy with its bond and Hyper Aggressive. Shield Guard wants you to stay close to Sorscha. Hyper Aggressive and the absence of ranged attacks want you to stride forward as fast as possible. It is rare that you can have both at the same time.
- You don't get to choose your facing after triggering Hyper-Aggressive.
Tricks & Tips
- Beast 09 has one of the rare 2" melee weapons available to Khador warjacks, making it ideal to threaten free strikes. Add in the extra attack die from Murderous, and the critical Freeze effect with an effective MAT10, and you can see why warrior models will almost never risk free strikes from the Beast.
- Murderous works on your power attacks too - if you cannot find a good spot for Thresher, feel free to trample around with 3D6 on the attack rolls.
- You can trigger Hyper Aggressive multiple times throughout your turn.
Originally released in Warmachine: Legends (2008)
When taken in Sorscha's battlegroup, this model can be taken in:
Themes for any-and-all bonded warjacks (Edit)
- Winter Guard Kommand - (Article) (Category)
- Jaws of the Wolf - (Article) (Category)
- Legion of Steel - (Article) (Category)
- Armored Korps - (Article) (Category)
- Wolves of Winter (Article) (Category)
When taken in someone else’s battlegroup, this model can’t be taken in theme forces.
Other Khador models
| Resolving the attack|
Under this heading, the word "Thresher" is used interchangeably for "Flashing Blade" and "Cyclone" too
Flashing Blade only