|For more info on why we're moving to a new server, check out the Brief History section on the new main page, and/or listen to episode 45 of the LOS podcast|
| If you have made an edit within the last month or so, please check the new server and see if it was copied by the autobot. |
You may need to copy-paste your work to the new server manually. Sorry.
Barathrum is a mechanized terror born from the nightmares of a lunatic, and Lich Lord Terminus has claimed this helljack as his own. Barathrum burrows with its massive talons to await its prey, then explodes from the ground to seize its victims and drag them screaming beneath the earth. Committing to slaughter with reckless abandon, the ’jack cleaves men in two with its talons and impales others on its tusks.
|See also How to Read the statblock|
- Talon (x2) - 1" reach, P+S 17 melee weapons
- Feedback - If this weapon damages a warjack that is part of a battlegroup, the warjack's controller suffers 1 damage point.
- Tusks - 1" reach, P+S 12 melee weapon
- Hard Head - This model can add this weapon's POW to its head-butt and slam power attack damage rolls.
- Warjack - All warjacks share the same set of special rules. Most notably being big and stompy.
- Advance Deployment - Models with advance deployment are placed after normal deployment and may be placed up to 6" further forward.
- Construct - This model is a construct and is not a living model.
- Bond [Terminus] - If this model begins the game in Terminus's battlegroup, it is bonded to them. This model is not considered to be bonded while under your opponent's control. While this model is bonded to Terminus and in their CTRL range, Unyielding (Unyielding - This model gains +2 ARM against melee damage rolls.
This rule changed in 2018.01')
- Countercharge - When an enemy model advances and ends its movement within 6" of this model and in its LOS, this model can immediately charge it. This model can use Countercharge only once per round and not while engaged.
- Dig In (★ Action) - This model gains cover, it does not suffer blast damage, and does not block LOS. The model remains dug in until it moves, is placed, or is engaged. It can begin the game dug in.
- Drag Below - During this model's activation, immediately after resolving an attack in which it boxed an enemy warrior model, this model can use Drag Below. The boxed model is RFP'd and this model can immediately make a full advance and then perform a Dig In special action, then its activation ends. This model cannot be targeted by free strikes during this movement.
2017.11 Black Fleet CID
- He was added to Scourge of the Broken Coast theme force.
Thoughts on the Barathrum
Barathrum in a nutshell
Barathrum is yet another beatstick heavy in the Cryx arsenal. This time with a bit of extra DEF from Dig In, and extra mobility from Countercharge + Drag Below + Advance Deployment. Feedback is just icing on the cake. He is quite popular amongst players, because he is relatively durable and heavy-hitting at his price bracket.
Some people view him as a slightly tougher version of the Seether, because they both have Countercharge, but other than that there's not really much in common.
Combos & Synergies
- Lich Lord Terminus naturally - Unyielding makes Barathrum ARM 20 vs melee - which is pretty effective.
- Feedback combines well with the Backlash spell (Skarre1 or Skarre2) to really make a mess vs a Warmachine opponent.
- He can be included in the Scourge of the Broken Coast theme, where he contributes to saturating Feedback threats with Satyxis Raiders and Gunslingers.
- Admonition from Skarre2 allows Barathrum to move away from an enemy advance and then Countercharge.
- If you're planning to move and Dig In, rather than run, you'll need a caster that can increase his speed: Asphyxious3 has Mobility, Mortenebra1 has Overrun, Mortenebra2 has Locomotion, Aiakos1 has Escort, Coven has Infernal Machines, Scaverous has Telekinesis.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- As with most Cryx jacks, he doesn't hit super hard at P+S 17, and doesn't brawl well in a toe-to-toe fight vs other faction's heavies.
- In comparison to the Seether, it isn't as focus-efficient. In comparison to a Slayer, he actually does less damage vs anything that is ARM 19 or higher.
- DEF 13 ARM 18 is a useful defensive line but not one that really stops anything. Sure you can gain +4 DEF if you move and Dig In, instead of running, but then you're slow.
- The only Cryx jack with hand-like weapons that aren't actually Open Fists - he can't throw models.
Tricks & Tips
- Deploy as far forward as possible but dug in. You've two turns of avoiding shooting as the rest of your army catches up.
- Drag Below can be used to go behind the enemy lines, protecting you from infantry charges.
- Originally released in the Warmachine: Reckoning expansion (2015)
- Nicknames = Shovel hands, Bathroom
- Barathrum means "pit" in Latin - referring to the narrow deadly kind of pits you get in mountains. It might also be translated as "Abyss" in this context.
Any warcaster or solo can take Barathrum in:
When taken in Terminus's battlegroup Barathrum can be taken in:
Themes for any-and-all bonded warjacks (Edit)
- Black Industries (Article) (Category)
- Dark Host (Article) (Category)
- The Ghost Fleet (Article) (Category)
- Infernal Machines (Article) (Category)
- Scourge of the Broken Coast (Article) (Category)
- Slaughter Fleet Raiders (Article) (Category)
Other Cryx models
|Warcasters|| Captain Bartolo - Captain Damiano - Cognifex - Drake MacBain - Exulon - Fiona - Magnus1 - Magnus2|
Requires a 2+ caster game.
|Other Controllers||Raluk Moorclaw (Marshal) - Rorsh & Brine (Lesser Warlock) - Wrongeye & Snapjaw (Lesser Warlock)|
|Warjacks, Warbeasts, & Monstrosities||The mercenary battlegroup members you can include in a Cryx army depends entirely on what type of model is commanding them. There are too many permutations to list here, please refer to one of the model entries above for full details of what it can take.|
|Mercenary Units, Solos, & Battle Engines|
|Units||Press Gangers - Sea Dog Deck Gun - Sea Dog Pirates & CA & WA - Steelhead Halberdiers - Steelhead Heavy Cavalry - Steelhead Riflemen|
|Solos|| Ogrun Bokur - Swamp Gobber Raiders
| Triggering Countercharge
What can your opponent do?
Attacks & Boosting
After the Countercharge
Enemy "Skipping" their movement
Unit with countercharge